Doc's 05 Tacoma Build Thread

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
The Demello Offroad Rear Bumper Project

Due to my evolving needs the CBI rear bumper has been sold. Applying the lessons learned in the field during my travels, I will be working with Demello Offroad here in SoCal to develop a totally new 2nd Gen Tacoma rear bumper specifically designed for long range trips. Stay tuned for details and in-progress pics as this project develops!

demello.jpg

http://www.demello-offroad.com/catalog/

Last edited:

Sawaro

Observer
The Rhino looks really great!
I have been meaning to do something similar for a while. I'm curious which product you went with? "Extreme" seems like the best choice after some very cursory research. Have you tested the durability on the sliders at all? What is your plan for touch ups? How much of the frame did you do? What sort of prep?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm asking because I get the feeling from your build thread that you thought all this out before doing it.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
The Rhino looks really great!
I have been meaning to do something similar for a while. I'm curious which product you went with? "Extreme" seems like the best choice after some very cursory research. Have you tested the durability on the sliders at all? What is your plan for touch ups? How much of the frame did you do? What sort of prep?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm asking because I get the feeling from your build thread that you thought all this out before doing it.

The truck is sprayed with Rhino Liner HardLine: http://liners.rhinolinings.com/en/products/hardline

My decision was based on a few factors, cost obviously a top concern but I also wanted something that could be easily touched up at the dealer. For the sliders my main issue was corrosion proofing, painting them each year was a PITA. If/when they get scratched or gouged I'll touch up the wound with Rust Oleum semi-gloss black, I just wanted 99% of those suckers rust proofed. The frame is coated all along from the front cab mount to the rear wheel well.

IMG_0470.jpg

I learned a few things along the way like the fact that the UV topcoat needs to be re-sprayed every so often, the Solar Max coating is crazy $$$ like about 10 times as much as HardLine. And you can basically refresh the appearance of HardLine or any of their products with Rhino Shine as needed so spending 10 times as much for the same functional effect was just silly IMO. All of this advice was given to me by the owner who has been a Rhino dealer for over 10 years and knows the product very well, Rhino is based in San Diego BTW so anyone in SoCal may consider that factor as it was important to me to support a local company.

Last edited:

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Dave, too bad you're not able to come back up here for the WA Expo. It was fun meeting you last year. I was the old fart on the '02 BMW Dakar.

When I built up my 2000 Tacoma Xcab I picked up a pair of sliders very similar to yours from a fellow named AJ in Sacremento. Prior to welding them on the frame, I had them Linexed. I really liked the looks and the coating gave a good grip to the soles of ones' shoes when entering/exiting the cab. While doing the Lockard Basin Trail in Moab a couple years later I had the misfortune of sliding along an outcropping boulder. The Linex pealed off the tubing of the slider like a knife cutting through butter. I was amazed, but looking back at it now should have realized that would happen. So for those thinking about doing a Linex or Rhino type lining, just remember that this stuff is great for corrosion proofing, takes lots of heavy duty wear, but is not abrasion proof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3