Doc's AT FlipPac Build Thread

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
That is a lot of shade. Why did you do the instal on the drivers side? Was the instal difficult? I'm weary to drill into the shell.

How do you plan to do the sides for the awning?

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I had the same question, but then noticed the direction of the swing out bumper.

Bingo! I'm keeping everything simple, no need to walk around that swingout. Drilling was easy, but the stainless rivets on the aluminum extrusion required some serious hand strength. Measure many times, drill once ;)

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
The Wanigan Project: Phase II

I drew up the specs today for the awning enclosure and emailed them for a quote :)

Should be pretty straightforward, 4 sided (for privacy) with a zippered door, velcro tabs on top and grommets for staking down in high wind.

Stay tuned!

TDFbound

Sleeping Area

I hope it is OK to ask this here, but what are the dimensions of the actual mattress? I didn't see it listed on the AT site, and after reading through this entire thread, I didn't see it listed here either. I think you mentioned you were a tall guy, so how does the mattress size work for you? I'm 6'3", and curious if this is going to be comfortable to sleep in or not. :jumping:

TDFbound

I dont have the exact dimensions at the moment but it is roughly a queen size bed, I'm 6'4 and it fits me fine.

Thanks for the quick reply! Now i'm even more excited about building up my truck. I have learned a lot from reading this thread, and I appreciate all the time you have put into updating and responding to those of us with questions. Keep it up! :jumping:

brian90744

American Trekker
awning hangers.

Doc.
These awning hangers for lights are also available from Walmart RV section. I did find a great fibeglass repair item for holes or minor cracks also @ Walmart, it Made by J-B Weld called Water Weld. It a putty type item. I filled a few hole the last owner drilled thru the side of my Flip-pac. Your is a great guide to follow if your new to Flip-pac camping.
thank=brian

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
The Wanigan Project: Phase II On Hold...

I had been in touch with member Billybee about getting the enclosure made, but he has fallen off the radar for whatever reason.

I sent San Luis Obispo Sail an email with specs, we'll see how that goes. I'm trying to get this complete before the WA Overland Rally

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Which size Kelty Noah do you have? I'm thinking about going that route for the time being. Need to pull the trigger with REI's sale by tomorrow or go with the older model from Sunnysports.

haulindave

Observer
Great Flippac Build Thread

Thanks Doc ( and all ) for the great thread .:coffee:

I just got done reading it and it will help me and many others .:smiley_drive:

Great to have a community that can help with questions and ideas ?:safari-rig:

Dave :friday:

:campfire:

NotAMog

Observer
Doc,

Do you find that you have less EVDF (Expedition Vehicle Delay Factor) in parking lots now that you removed the graphics from your FlipPac?

I just put the AT graphics on my FlipPac and I ended up having several long conversations in parking lots about my rig while running errands this weekend. Its almost like driving my Pinzgauer where it's not unusual to take 20 minutes answering peoples questions before I can go in the store or take off. Before the graphics, I only got a few passing questions about the Tacoma and FlipPac.

I don't mind taking time to talk to people unless I'm really in a hurry. It just seems surprising to all of sudden start getting more and longer questions after installing the graphics.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Doc,

Do you find that you have less EVDF (Expedition Vehicle Delay Factor) in parking lots now that you removed the graphics from your FlipPac?

Absolutely.

But, I still experience significant EVDF due to the following two factors (in order of precedence):

1. Snorkel. This evokes non-stop questions everywhere I go :snorkel:

2. ATFP. I keep a stack of AT cards in the truck to speed up these interactions since I can end up doing endless Q&A... it's easier to say "Here's their card, check out the FlipPac section on their website".

I've met some really cool people in parking lots because of this stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal