Doc's AT FlipPac Build Thread

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I had the FlipPac and bedsides repainted after the body shop left transfers from the plastic/masking process in the clear coat (long story), I also had the pinstripes and AT/TRD graphics removed for a cleaner look. It looks GREAT ;)

While it was off, I pulled EVERYTHING out for cleaning/painting and more than a few adjustments here and there that could only be done with it apart and addressed some areas that I felt I had rushed during the initial design and build. I also applied new EPDM bulb gasket (thanks Mario!) all around to ensure a fresh seal and have applied silicone in the usual areas again as insurance.

Stay tuned for new pics from the Desert Rendezvous! :costumed-smiley-007

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
You WISH!
Would be so awesome to be rollin in a MARPAT rig. Well a civvie one that is.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
OVX 2011 Lesson Learned

There was quite a bit of wind and dust at OVX... the shade setup worked GREAT as it provides a very large patch of shade in comparison to your standard Fiamma etc and it had zero issues in the wind (Snow Peak tent pegs rock!).

My issue was dust: If the wind is blowing in dusty conditions, do NOT leave open any of the zippers/vents and keep the tailgate/window CLOSED when away from the truck or you will return to a dusted out interior :Wow1:

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
So would you recommend not getting a fiamma and something else instead?

I'm still going to do a Fiamma off the driver side (they are very stable and well made) and then add some fabric like Shruk did for a combination head/shower/spare room there. The Kelty over the tailgate is just so much larger than any ready made awning I've seen available which is why I like it. Very light and makes max shade for you and your friends ;)

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
OVX 11 Pics

Sealed up during the day to keep the dust out, note the new cleaner look sans decals
DSC_03601.jpg

Generous shade area provided by Kelty, Gear's new Snow Peak Iron Grill Table in the foreground
DSC_03691.jpg

Fine tequilas enroute to happy hours with Al Walter ;)
DSC_03621.jpg

Nightfall in Amado, AZ
DSC_04491.jpg

Last edited:

rwpeebles

Very helpful

Hi TacoDoc,

Looking at the latest pics I'm guessing you were At Overland Expo 2011. My wife and I discovered the whole AT/FlipPac approach to camping when we were there. Now I'm bummed to have missed meeting you and getting to do a one-on-one Q&A, although Clint from AT was very helpful.

We want to travel around AND bring our big BMW 1200 G/S bikes. I don't plan to put those babies in the truck bed (F-350) so we had been going down the path of needing a big 5th wheel. Man that seemed like a lousy idea - a rig the size of a semi, and the granite counter tops are so not our style. Enter AT, FlipPac, and associated gear for a much lighter and more compact offering.

So thanks again to you for this thread and all the ideas it contains. Very nicely done and congrats on a really cool rig. One question - any references/pointers on thinking through the whole question of wiring and plumbing? We'd like to use shore power and water when it's available; and we may add a Haulmark or Wellscargo trailer for the bikes and use as a "back porch". The key for us is flexibility - the ability to go lightweight when all we want to do is go hiking or cycling, ability to take more stuff when we're motorcycling, and the ability to boondock or to use power and water amenities when they are right there.

Richard

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
One question - any references/pointers on thinking through the whole question of wiring and plumbing? We'd like to use shore power and water when it's available; and we may add a Haulmark or Wellscargo trailer for the bikes and use as a "back porch". The key for us is flexibility - the ability to go lightweight when all we want to do is go hiking or cycling, ability to take more stuff when we're motorcycling, and the ability to boondock or to use power and water amenities when they are right there.

With your size rig I'd suggest a full National Luna Power Pack or IBS second battery system for house power and add the optional LED lighting for low power draw with a 60+ watt solar panel/controller for all around use. No real need for shore power with this setup IMHO as your needs are small. For water I'd suggest any of the Front Runner tanks that suit your needs from the vendors here (Mario's Jeep Commanche water setup is pretty slick IMO).

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
The Wanigan Project

FedExPo has arrived!

The wanigan project is about to begin ;)

:box:

wan·i·gan or wan·ni·gan (wn-gn) also wan·gun (wngn, wng-)
n.

1. New England & Upper Northern U.S.
a. A boat or small chest equipped with supplies for a lumber camp.
b. Provisions for a camp or cabin.

2. Alaska
a. A small house, bunkhouse, or shed mounted on skids and towed behind a tractor train as eating and sleeping quarters for a work crew.
b. An addition built onto a trailer house for extra living or storage space.

The Fiamma F35 Pro has been installed on the drivers side of the FP, next up will be to have an enclosure made so that it can serve as a multi-purpose wanigan in camp (shade/bathroom/shower enclosure/extra berthing).

With the Fiamma and the Kelty I have enough shade for an entire group!
one024.jpg

one023.jpg

Stay tuned for phase two!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal