Doc's AT FlipPac Build Thread

WASURF63

Adventurer
We added a memory foam mattress pad to our FP for a while. We would slide it up onto the fully extended/stretched hammock then close the FP. When we opened it up when camping we would just slide it on top of the regular FP mattress before moving the poles over for the hammock and access to the bed. The FP was only slightly more difficult to squeeze shut and we had a double thick mattress that took no additional space. Unfortunately the memory foam 'forgot' it was a mattress and we returned it. If you're using bedding instead of a sleeping bag, this is an option for storage that takes up no additional space.

Tried the same thing a while back. It made the mattress more comfortable, but was also more difficult to close the top, and left an approx 1/4" gap in the rear seal, creating more exposure to the elements.

Solution: 1) stack another layer of bulb seal or 2) omit the memory foam pad.
*Trying to stow a dbl sleeping bag (w/o addl pad) in the same fashion lead to the same result. :( I chose option #2.

abeaudin1971

Adventurer
Mattress is held in place with velcro on the back end of it. (velcro from back of mattress to fibreglass side) I don't pack bedding away but I'd imagine you could fix straps on their side to strap it in.

-a

O.K. I've been looking at the Flip Pac for over 6 months. I've reviewed the FRP installation manual, read this thread, etc. This may seem like a silly question but I swear NO ONE (including Adventure Trailers) seems to have ever posted what I'm sure is a simple answer... I was going to e-mail you off-line but I figure if I'm in the dark maybe someone else might be also.

So... What holds the mattress and bedding in place when you flip the Flip Pac shut?!?

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
You might want to do a bit more homework (ie.. look at the AT website closer) before you post something up like this.

http://adventuretrailers.com/page/vehicles/at_flippac/video/

Just a suggestion. No harm, no foul. :victory:

Well... No... I know about how the hammock creates a ceiling and keeps all the tent material and the mattress from coming off the "roof" but the answer (which is not anywhere else) is the velcro. That is apparently what "lifts" the mattress with the top when you flip it. Must be good velcro!

WASURF63

Adventurer
Well... No... I know about how the hammock creates a ceiling and keeps all the tent material and the mattress from coming off the "roof" but the answer (which is not anywhere else) is the velcro. That is apparently what "lifts" the mattress with the top when you flip it. Must be good velcro!

Yah... there is a very generous amount of heavy duty velcro keeping the mattress in place. Being that you're in SoCal, maybe you could persuade TACODOC to meet up with you for a demo? :drool: Send him a PM.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
Yah... there is a very generous amount of heavy duty velcro keeping the mattress in place. Being that you're in SoCal, maybe you could persuade TACODOC to meet up with you for a demo? :drool: Send him a PM.

I actually spotted his rig outside where he works. I went in and started asking who owns the Light blue Tacoma. I got a lot of strange looks but TacoDoc was gracious enough to come out and talk to me for a few minutes. He's a very generous person and answered all the questions I had at the time (but I didn't ask about the mattress retention!).

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
Are you sure it was Dave that you ran into? His rig is silver. Maybe that is why you got the strange looks. Then again, maybe it was Dave and the strange looks were from calling a silver truck "light blue"
Anyways, just funning with you.
Jeff

Hello Dave,
Great looking Flip Pack. Looking forward to seeing it in person. I think you would be very happy with the Line-X. It makes a home built project look very professional. I would only do the front side and paint the inside with the Dulicolor. Total cost of the Line-X was $250 and I believe mine was a lot more work for the guys at Line-X.

DSC_5474.jpg

Hey there, can you explain to me what you have going on here and what each nook and crannie is for? I'm picking up a JK here in a couple months with a sole purpose of exploring and adventure and have been trying to figure out what I will need for storage compartments. This looks great!

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Justin may not be tuned in here, check out his Baja JK build thread in the Jeep section. IIRC, he has details on that setup and AT may even sell that kit now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal