Doc's AT FlipPac Build Thread

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Removing the plastic caps lowers that gap in the front, and the holes on mine are covered with 3-4 rows of bulb seal. Copious silicone up front sealed what was left.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
On the cabside of mine the rail has a couple white fiberglass spacers. These did however break on a trip which involved off-road use. FRP replaced them no problem. I would be concerned of it happening again from use though.

Doc do you remember which way did you drilled for those rails? Thanks.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Do you drill exterior to interior or vice versa?

Hey looks like I'm not the only one who has dirt on the corners of the tent. I guess that is how it goes.

I drilled from the outside - if you tried it on the inside that batting material would get all wound up and stop your drill dead in it's tracks!

bcrez

Adventurer
I had a couple of questions about bed drilling. When you drill a hole in the bed of your truck, (ex. for bottle opener, core trax, highlift mount etc.) do you just drill strait into the bed? or is there some sort of magic trick? I'm just kidding but I have never drilled into a truck bed and I wanted to ask someone who has clearly done it before destroying something.

Love the truck and Flippac build thread. lots of inspiration. I will be enduring a couple of more years with no cap on my truck until I can get a flippac.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Composite bed or steel bed is pretty much the same except on steel I use a punch to "mark" the exact spot I intend to drill, and when finished drilling you should deburr and primer/paint the hole to prevent corrosion.

bcrez

Adventurer
Thanks for the response. I have a composite bed, 2010 TRD off-road. So right on through then... Well, let the build begin. I started with new tires (Goodyear Dura-tracs) next is the Core-Trax system in the bed.

Composite bed or steel bed is pretty much the same except on steel I use a punch to "mark" the exact spot I intend to drill, and when finished drilling you should deburr and primer/paint the hole to prevent corrosion.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Thanks for the response. I have a composite bed, 2010 TRD off-road. So right on through then... Well, let the build begin. I started with new tires (Goodyear Dura-tracs) next is the Core-Trax system in the bed.

Cool, just ensure you always know what is on the backside of any intended drilling location :snorkel:

I drilled from the outside - if you tried it on the inside that batting material would get all wound up and stop your drill dead in it's tracks!

I tried drilling into one of the support pieces where the tent attaches to the top of the shell (they look like there are 2x2s around the frame of the tent/top of the shell) just to attach a hook for a curtain. All I did was grind up fiberglass and didn't get very far. It was a tiny drill bit so I couldn't see if there was steel in there or what was stopping it. I just gave up.

Got pics of the interior mounting plates? I've been thinking of putting a 1x3 up or something to provide a bit more strength to the entire back wall where I intend to drill through to flush mount an awning. What did FRP tell you about mounting in that area?

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Got pics of the interior mounting plates? I've been thinking of putting a 1x3 up or something to provide a bit more strength to the entire back wall where I intend to drill through to flush mount an awning. What did FRP tell you about mounting in that area?

I'll post an interior pic later, FRP said to stay away from the frontal edges and hinges for drilling as there is a steel tube that is embedded in the glass that runs from the hinges and goes about half way back to the rear (upper edge by the gasket). The blocks you see sculpted into the glass are just that - wood blocks glassed in.

WASURF63

Adventurer
Nice Job on the tarp, I like the idea. While both of you are in the same thread I have a question. Tacodoc you removed your side rails from your truck to mount your Flippac. Etav8ter you did not. On my new 2011 Tacoma I found the front came up way short side to side. It did not cover the holes under the rails. Any comments. Wondering if the sides of the 2011 are wider than ever. I didn't think of the holes under the rails. had to mount with the rails on but leaves a large gap due to hight in the back by the window. I have a solution I am working on but wanted to know if you ran into the same thing.
Marty

Me too. Had water leaking in both sides at the front corners, even with the triple bulb seal.

TACODOC "Removing the plastic caps lowers that gap in the front, and the holes on mine are covered with 3-4 rows of bulb seal. Copious silicone up front sealed what was left."

Amen to that. Copious silicone application finished it off, solving the leaks.

Last edited:

Harp

Adventurer
With the rails on mine the front gap is about 3/4 inch. I used an air conditioner seal. you put it in last and it expands to fit the area. you can get it compressed to 1/4 of an inch and it expands to 1 inch. Clean fit and finish and no leaks. I am checking with a fiberglass friend about extending the front ridge out along the sides to custom fit to the bed sides. Since I love this camper and plan on keeping it for a long time I think it's worth the investment.
Marty

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
What holds...

O.K. I've been looking at the Flip Pac for over 6 months. I've reviewed the FRP installation manual, read this thread, etc. This may seem like a silly question but I swear NO ONE (including Adventure Trailers) seems to have ever posted what I'm sure is a simple answer... I was going to e-mail you off-line but I figure if I'm in the dark maybe someone else might be also.

So... What holds the mattress and bedding in place when you flip the Flip Pac shut?!?

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
O.K. I've been looking at the Flip Pac for over 6 months. I've reviewed the FRP installation manual, read this thread, etc. This may seem like a silly question but I swear NO ONE (including Adventure Trailers) seems to have ever posted what I'm sure is a simple answer... I was going to e-mail you off-line but I figure if I'm in the dark maybe someone else might be also.

So... What holds the mattress and bedding in place when you flip the Flip Pac shut?!?

Here's a pic from early in my build. Notice the "hammock" on the upper right, this stretches across to the left. Once the pole is in on the left, it is stretched all the way across and this is what "catches" the mattress etc. The mattress is also velcro'd to the shell via the zippered slip cover.

101_1797.jpg

Here's a pic from early in my build. Notice the "hammock" on the upper right, this stretches across to the left. Once the pole is in on the left, it is stretched all the way across and this is what "catches" the mattress etc. The mattress is also velcro'd to the shell via the zippered slip cover.

We added a memory foam mattress pad to our FP for a while. We would slide it up onto the fully extended/stretched hammock then close the FP. When we opened it up when camping we would just slide it on top of the regular FP mattress before moving the poles over for the hammock and access to the bed. The FP was only slightly more difficult to squeeze shut and we had a double thick mattress that took no additional space. Unfortunately the memory foam 'forgot' it was a mattress and we returned it. If you're using bedding instead of a sleeping bag, this is an option for storage that takes up no additional space.

WASURF63

Adventurer

You might want to do a bit more homework (ie.. look at the AT website closer) before you post something up like this.

http://adventuretrailers.com/page/vehicles/at_flippac/video/

Just a suggestion. No harm, no foul. :victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal