Doc's AT FlipPac Build Thread

ExpoMike

Don't know but I do think they are the same style as I have seen with some of the utility tracks. Likely one company makes most of the different brand ones out there.

They got your name on them. :D

suntinez

Explorer
Good to catch up with the FRP folks, and nice trading horses & beer with ya Dave!

I think those things Mike has would be perfect for what you're up to if the bolts are long enough.

ExpoMike

Care to share where these eye bolts can be bought?

I found the pics on Amazon but they can also be found at many motorcycle stores.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Ancra-Tiedowns-TIEDOWN-40890-10-Attaches/dp/B000ONZQDE/ref=pd_sbs_auto_1"]http://www.amazon.com/Ancra-Tiedowns-TIEDOWN-40890-10-Attaches/dp/B000ONZQDE/ref=pd_sbs_auto_1[/ame]

ExpoMike

Good to catch up with the FRP folks, and nice trading horses & beer with ya Dave!

I think those things Mike has would be perfect for what you're up to if the bolts are long enough.

Cool thing, if the bolts are not long enough, they are just standard flat head machine bolts. A good hardware store would have longer ones. :ylsmoke:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Cool thing, if the bolts are not long enough, they are just standard flat head machine bolts. A good hardware store would have longer ones. :ylsmoke:

We have a locally owned hardware store that has what I need, BUT I have to stay away from there because it's full of all manner of things I don't need :snorkel:

LOL

Took it in to FRP today and received outstanding customer service. Diane and the staff there took good care of me, it's nice that they're 30 minutes from my house ;)

One of my hinges was showing some cracks (bad batch) so it was replaced under warranty. They re-did the silicone around the hinges and I was able to talk to the techs and get some insight into where to/not to mount hardware or an awning to the shell.

Suntinez (Linda) came down from her mountain retreat and met me at FRP for some horse trading and we did lunch and a couple beers at a local BBQ joint :chowtime:

It was a good day :victory:

I wish I could have come down too. I was still calling them daily (their suggestion) to inquire about the rainfly. I may be headed down there Friday if they have one for me. Although critical of FRP in the past I have always been impressed with Diane's customer service. Sometimes it can be difficult to get there. I finally gave up trying to talk to her over the phone and figure when I go down, I'll get some time to talk about the possibility of barn doors and awning mounting questions. I'm not sure I follow the bracket idea you're looking at. Next time I see you I want to chat about it and see how they mount. My plan right now is a Spoyla awning flush mounted over the back window.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Home made rivnut tool

Great write up here on how to make your own rivnut tool in about 5 minutes. AT uses rivnuts and stainless hex head bolts to mount the FlipPac fender pins (FRP only uses screws...) to the fender, and due to my recent fender bender I had to re-do one side.

Mario sent me the rivnuts and although I was worried about drilling virgin sheetmetal it was easy stuff ;)

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=216727&postcount=1

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
NikWax and Nite Ize tie downs

One of many projects that I have on the back burner, I've been meaning to seal up the tent according to my standards... bomb proof.

Today I broke out the supplies and knocked this out, it was about as easy a project as you will ever do. I used about one liter of the NikWax Solar Proof on the FlipPac itself and have another liter for the storm cover. Not only is it a good wax that soaks in nice and gets in all the seams and stitching, it also provides some UV protection for your tent fabric.

Here is what I used today:
102_3482.jpg

I also worked on the storm cover, replacing the bungies that FRP has on these and replaced them with something a little more serious - secure and adjustable tie downs from Nite Ize.
This ought to make it easy to secure the cover!
http://www.niteize.com/collections/figure-9/products/figure-9-tent-line-kit

102_3490.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Kelty Car Tarp and Tie Downs Installed

I installed these small utility tracks to connect the Car Tarp to, easy project and cheap!
http://www.easternmarine.com/Aluminum-Super-Track-Kit-ST6/

031.jpg

032.jpg

I set it up real quick with 2 lines and 2 stakes just to show coverage, if I added 2 more guy outs and moved the poles back it can make a pretty good shade patch, I have it configured to block the late afternoon sun in these pics. This configuration provides shade and privacy ;)

035.jpg

034.jpg

033.jpg

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Nice color matching. Not sure I'm feelin the tarp thing though. Then again I haven't tried mine out to see if it even will work out.
Doc what do I need to know before drilling into the flippac? I have a Hella light for the back which I want to put on soon.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Just avoid any hardware or structural areas and dont drive the drill bit straight through - go slow because of the batting material FRP puts on the inside of the shell will get all wound up in it and cause damage if you just dive the bit through. Go slow and then use an exacto knife to allow the bolt through the batting.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Do you drill exterior to interior or vice versa?

Hey looks like I'm not the only one who has dirt on the corners of the tent. I guess that is how it goes.

Harp

Adventurer
Tarp

Nice Job on the tarp, I like the idea. While both of you are in the same thread I have a question. Tacodoc you removed your side rails from your truck to mount your Flippac. Etav8ter you did not. On my new 2011 Tacoma I found the front came up way short side to side. It did not cover the holes under the rails. Any comments. Wondering if the sides of the 2011 are wider than ever. I didn't think of the holes under the rails. had to mount with the rails on but leaves a large gap due to hight in the back by the window. I have a solution I am working on but wanted to know if you ran into the same thing.
Marty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk