Doc's AT FlipPac Build Thread

YukonRob

Adventurer
Radios? (antennas to be more precise)

Hey Doc:
I am considering going the FlipPac route instead of a rack+rtt but I have a couple of antennas mounted on the cab roof. I didn't notice any antennas in your pics - are you running any radios, and if so, how have you mounted the antennas?
Thanks, Rob

trump

Adventurist
I keep a stack of AT cards in the truck to speed up these interactions since I can end up doing endless Q&A... it's easier to say "Here's their card, check out the FlipPac section on their website".

:coffeedrink:

Guess I'll have to fill up my old business card holder when I'm in Prescott.:snorkel:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Hey Doc:
I am considering going the FlipPac route instead of a rack+rtt but I have a couple of antennas mounted on the cab roof. I didn't notice any antennas in your pics - are you running any radios, and if so, how have you mounted the antennas?
Thanks, Rob

I have a CB and the antenna was mounted on the ARB until I replaced it, I just havent gotten around to redoing the antenna mounting. No ham yet...

I see no reason why a guy could not mount antennas on the roof and use flip down mounts for when the FP is opened up.

JamesDowning

Explorer
Something like this is a simple inline solution:

Just lift and fold.
TSFD-100.jpg

ftillmanb

I have been planning on buying a Leer shell soon ,untill i found this site and the AT Flip Pac. I notice when you flip out the tent and there are two legs that seem to rest on the hood,does these lege ever scuff or scratch the paint on the hood,i know when i sleep i toss and turn alot and i dont want to do any damage to my hood by having the legs bouncing on my hood,any info on this would be great and if any one could give me a price range for a basic AT Flip Pac, Thanks.

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Most of the weight (90+% IMO) of the bed and it's occupants is transferred to the torsion bar and the main shell structure there at the hinge. The main purpose of the legs is to keep the FP open and stable on those far corners. I have had zero issues with the legs, fenders, hood or paint and I weigh over 250 most days.

The legs wont scratch the hood even if they came in contact with the paint, the end caps are plastic. The "hood pins" are drilled into the inside lip of the fender and secured with rivnuts.

There is a big red link at the top of the first post in this thread with prices and options ;)

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
The Wanigan Project: Phase II Complete!

I drew up the specs today for the awning enclosure and emailed them for a quote :)

Should be pretty straightforward, 4 sided (for privacy) with a zippered door, velcro tabs on top and grommets for staking down in high wind.

Stay tuned!

Well, SLO Sail and Canvas came through. The awning enclosure arrived about a week after I ordered it and the quality of this thing is just amazing, I am very happy with how this turned out. I highly recommend them for any custom awning or other work you may have.

http://www.slosails.com/

These are the same guys who make the new FlipPac rain fly that AT is selling.

Well, SLO Sail and Canvas came through. The awning enclosure arrived about a week after I ordered it and the quality of this thing is just amazing, I am very happy with how this turned out. I highly recommend them for any custom awning or other work you may have.

Glad that worked out for you. I was really impressed with them too. I saw you went four-sided, good move. That'll block the "view" from under the truck that my girls seem a bit disturbed by.

I have a new project in the works for my rig. I took everything out/off my truck to have it bedlined. Now I need to get the shell back on and everything mounted back in it again, along with my new project. I'll post up pics on my thread when I do. I'm curious if you've ever seen/used one of these before.

ExpoMike

Pics or it never happend... :elkgrin:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
The Wanigan Project: Phase II Complete!

Here's the bag it came in, very well made with a big fat zipper. Enclosure made by: http://www.slosails.com/

100_3718.jpg

Deployed, 4 sided enclosure. Totally private.
This enclosure will be a multi-purpose room for showering, bathroom, or even sleeping kids.
100_3700.jpg

Front wall, note the big grommets all along the bottom that allow the use of the big Snow Peak stakes, this thing isn't going anywhere.
100_3701.jpg

Entrance, note the big fat zipper with pulls on both sides and the big pocket sewn on the far wall for items like soap, shampoo, iPod, etc.
100_3714.jpg

Hooks attach inside wall to Fiamma case, inside wall provides extra privacy as well wind protection.
Hooks have grommets which allow the mounting of lights or just about anything on that wall like a Thule RV wall organizer.
I'm also going to add some 550 cord along there threaded via the grommets for hanging towels.
100_3709.jpg

Inside corner mounting details. Note how the velcro wraps around the bars for max privacy and wind proofing.
100_3708.jpg

100_3707.jpg

Shown here during enclosure mounting, the 7mm channel in the Fiamma allows the use of this "rope" for mounting and a completely sealed front edge.
100_3716.jpg

Last edited:

dcoy

Adventurer
Enclosure

That's a nice enclosure. Just curious to know about how much this set you back. I'm also assuming/hoping that the slosails people have the specs for this so it would be easy to replicate. I'm interested because Camping Labs makes a similar enclosure for their awning and I'd like to compare the options. The Camping Lab products may not be up to the quality level of the Fiamma, but the quality sure seems decent for the price (I already have one of their awnings).

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3