Doc's AT FlipPac Build Thread

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Bike rack is awesome. Nice and high to avoid damage to bikes from departure angle stuff.

Do you think a FWC or similar rig is in your future or will you stick with the flippac?

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Bike rack is awesome. Nice and high to avoid damage to bikes from departure angle stuff.

Do you think a FWC or similar rig is in your future or will you stick with the flippac?

Thanks. I do like the FWC's alot but were I to go that route it would be along similar lines to what James Langan (Redline) is doing with his new Tundra build (Elmer). My next rig/build will be a full size of some sort or a JK, but I am really enjoying what we've done with the Tacoma and FlipPac for now, it's pretty ideal for what we do.

Bean

Thanks TACODOC

Dave, your build is both educational and inspirational, thanks for all the posts. I had a 1988 4Runner with a 4WD popup until it was totaled this spring. It didn't take too many car camping trips to realize we needed to build a new rig, and we bought a Toyota access cab this summer and placed an order for a Flip Pac from AT, in no small part due to what I learned on this forum and from this thread in particular. Looking forward to fun with the build out this winter.

One question for you Flip Pac owners -- what about mosquito control? Maybe you don't come across too many in the desert, but in the mountains in Colorado, sometimes layers of clothes and DEET isn't enough, and it's necessary to retreat behind some netting!

barlowrs

Explorer
An idea I plan on doing once I get my flippac is rigging up a mosquito net to separate the sleeping quarters from the rest of the truck, I plan on doing it with magnets like you see on doors these days so you just crawl through it and it will close itself automatically.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I have a black curtain at the entrance that when drawn keeps out 99% of pests. It also provides privacy and keeps dust out in camp - when I remember to draw it shut.

I like Barlows idea :lurk:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Fish Creek, Anza Borrego

DSC_1242.jpg

DSC_1243.jpg

Great photos by Robert Barlow

Ressie

An idea I plan on doing once I get my flippac is rigging up a mosquito net to separate the sleeping quarters from the rest of the truck, I plan on doing it with magnets like you see on doors these days so you just crawl through it and it will close itself automatically.

We just made this flip screen to fit the contour of the rear opening and keep the bugs out. We designed it so that the middle section can be rolled up and secured if you're moving things in and out, and the sections stay closed with magnets. We used velcro across the top and upper sides to hold the screen in place, and used magnets on the lower sections to keep the screen secure. No problems with visibility with the screen installed. We really like how it works and are wondering if maybe other folks would be interested? This one is made for a 2006 Toyota Tacoma 6-ft bed. Here's a pic.image.jpg

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Being able to carry a bike rack (and bikes) again is muy bueno, really digging the utility of the new Demello rear bumper and how it compliments the FlipPac :D

IMG_1142.jpg

Hey Doc,
I really like your bumper. I'm getting ready to fab up one of my own. I am planning on putting the hitch mount for my bike rack in the swing out as well. I also am debating on not having my spare mounted on the bumper as alot of people do. Im only running one tire size over stock and my full size spare fits under the bed same as yours. Few questions for you:

1) Why did you go with single arm swing-out instead of 2 arm?
2) I noticed your awning is on the drivers side. I always see the awning's on the passenger side from the factory. Why did you add it over the drivers?
3) Any particular reason you did not mount the spare on the rack? I think it looks cool on the rack, but other than that I think it just takes up space where I could fit more Jerry cans or a storage box of sorts.

Anyways, rig is looking great! Rhino Lining my rocker panels and fender flares is in the near future as well!!
Cheers

ExpoMike

I can help answer question 1 and 3.

1. I believe this was done so Dave could have a full lenght fold down table that is mounted on the backside of the of the arm. It's between the can mounts and tailgate so you can't see it when closed up.

3. He wanted to move weight down to keep CG lower and to allow more items on the swing out versus most of the space being taken up by the tire. Since it fit in the factory location and doesn't hinder anything, it made better use of space.

This new bumper is spot on with function, form and cool factor. Well done Dave!!!

Bean

We just made this flip screen to fit the contour of the rear opening and keep the bugs out. We designed it so that the middle section can be rolled up and secured if you're moving things in and out, and the sections stay closed with magnets. We used velcro across the top and upper sides to hold the screen in place, and used magnets on the lower sections to keep the screen secure. No problems with visibility with the screen installed. We really like how it works and are wondering if maybe other folks would be interested? This one is made for a 2006 Toyota Tacoma 6-ft bed. Here's a pic.View attachment 131628

That looks great Ressie, I particularly like the idea of having it in three sections.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Hey Doc,
I really like your bumper. I'm getting ready to fab up one of my own. I am planning on putting the hitch mount for my bike rack in the swing out as well. I also am debating on not having my spare mounted on the bumper as alot of people do. Im only running one tire size over stock and my full size spare fits under the bed same as yours. Few questions for you:

1) Why did you go with single arm swing-out instead of 2 arm?
2) I noticed your awning is on the drivers side. I always see the awning's on the passenger side from the factory. Why did you add it over the drivers?
3) Any particular reason you did not mount the spare on the rack? I think it looks cool on the rack, but other than that I think it just takes up space where I could fit more Jerry cans or a storage box of sorts.

1. Like Mike said about the table and a single arm actually gives me more real estate for attachment points. One hub and lock mechanism is also lighter than 2 ;)

2. Drivers side awning is directly tied to how the tailgate/swingout/table arrangement is. This way, the swingout/fridge/table is all on one side and the awning and optional shower room are easy access i.e. I dont have to walk around the swingout.

3. Lowers COG, less weight hanging out behind the rear axle leveraging things, more room on the swingout for bulky but necessary things like double jerry cans, pioneer tools etc.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Doc,
Thanks for the quick reply. :sombrero: I keep going back and forth on the design and its killing me cause I have the metal sitting in my shop screaming at me to get chopped up! haha

Very good points on the "use" of everything while in camp. I am leaning to a similar setup except switching sides. No reason to mount the spare and give up storage space except it looks good IMO. A couple Jerry cans and a box would be great!
Cheers!

Frostymug

Observer
I keep going back and forth on the design and its killing me cause I have the metal sitting in my shop screaming at me to get chopped up! haha

If I remember correctly Dave's new swing out bumper is modular by design and can except a tire if needed. No need to design a swing out for only one set up, make it modular.

Cliff

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
If I remember correctly Dave's new swing out bumper is modular by design and can except a tire if needed. No need to design a swing out for only one set up, make it modular.

Cliff

Receiver hitches on a swingout enable anything to be added or subtracted when needed. Spare tire carrier, bike rack, extra Jerry cans, dog box, firewood carrier, keg.... The only limit is your imagination :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal