Dream Expedition vehicle

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I think I may be lucky enough to already own my dream expedition vehicle! Needless to say, I have quite a bit of work to do in order to bring it up to "snuff", but as far as the 4xVan being a good foundation, I couldn't ask for more. I'll never have the articulation of a Landcruiser or the interior space of a camper based Unimog, but parts are a dime a dozen and its already proven its worth on-road and off for everything I'll ever encounter in my travels.

Spence

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
ShearPin said:
As I mentioned previouly I've often appreciated the virtues of Land Rover's 130 Crew Cabs. I found these promo photos on the web from a South African company called AluCab. It looks as though the conversion is similar to our North American slide-outs.

I figured I'd post them..... an update to the specs of my dream world travel truck.

Henry
www.4x4freedom.com

I bought my 130 crewcab for just the reasons you mentioned earlier. I have a wife and two kids and the 130 is just the ticket. Plenty of room in the back. I have a full rack but hardly ever use it. I love it.

Here are a few pictures.

Last edited:

ckkone

Explorer
Right now I'm diggin this:

HDJ100 Camper

HDJ-100-im-einsatz.jpg

hks3sgte

César Gómez
I prefer simplicity... just my Land Cruiser and me...

either HJ60/61

606424757d1a677c2a4bhg3.jpg

or FJ55 with a Toyota diesel

380554352535475745covb0.jpg

If I wanted to go "modern", I would go with either a D1

867fc9x1152dfc5e80xy7fezx0.jpg

or... I guess I already own my dream expedition vehicle... it just needs a few things!

grandcanyon100.jpg

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
my vote is definitely for Land Cruiser 70 or 75. They are absolutely bullet proof. i drive a 70 series with 405000 Km on it at my place in nicaragua. load it with up to 23 people for missionary work and drive 2hrs on rough terrain. It never leaves us stranded day after day.. and yes that people count includes roof rack, rear bumper and side step bars. no im not kidding..

a nicely modified low mileage 75 would be perfect...

ProtoTribal

Observer
Hello. This my first post on the portal. What a great thread! Anyway, on to the dream expedition vehicles.

The first two pics are the truck I just got and plan on visiting everywhere I ever wanted to go in. The first pic is my actual truck-second is for reference. It expands!

The next pic is what I'm building to pull behind it(have truck to start with-not built like this yet).

And the last pic is a crappy photoshop pic of the electric mountain bike I'll be building to go with it all.

I plan on touring the US for now, working the kinks out of/building up the vehicles, working odd jobs, and visiting old friends. Once I'm all setup and figure out a way to have an income, I'd like to head down through Mexico and South America.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
mdd0127 said:
Hello. This my first post on the portal. What a great thread! Anyway, on to the dream expedition vehicles.

The first two pics are the truck I just got and plan on visiting everywhere I ever wanted to go in. The first pic is my actual truck-second is for reference. It expands!

The next pic is what I'm building to pull behind it(have truck to start with-not built like this yet).

And the last pic is a crappy photoshop pic of the electric mountain bike I'll be building to go with it all.

I plan on touring the US for now, working the kinks out of/building up the vehicles, working odd jobs, and visiting old friends. Once I'm all setup and figure out a way to have an income, I'd like to head down through Mexico and South America.

An old M800 series 5 ton, is it? Interesting. That's an old vehicle, so make sure you have a good source for spares. We had a couple of those when I got to Germany in 1987 but they were quickly being replaced by the more modern M900 series trucks (biggest difference being that the 900 series had automatic transmissions.)

I presume you're already familiar with the MVPA? If not you should join, they are a great source for parts and service on old military vehicles.

IronViking

Great Thread guys.
I thought I should post my truck as well
Mine is a 2 1/2 ton AKA the DEUCE.
Multifuel motor w/turbo, 6x6 drive. Bigger than
house and just about as fast as one too.
I still have a ton of work to do but it gets closer every day.
This pic is when I just got home with the camper on back.
The other is before the camper but has a shot with my
girls MONST-TER-O.

Outback

Explorer
Thanks everyone for posting! What a great set of rigs. I too had a 6x6 but sold it to a friend. I still have a huge amount of new tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk