EarthRoamer XV-LTS (S for Stretch)

IWantAUnimog

Saw the strectch version at the Expo. The Fords look better in real life than they do in pictures (at least to me). Too bad the Earthroamer people weren't letting us into the Stretch version. I liked the regular version but for more than two people, it would seem a little tight. I want to get one of these after they've depreciated after 5 years or so.

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Dont get your hopes up too much about depreciation. The ER's hold their value really well. The older 6.0 Powerstroke models are even selling for a decent price. If the new 6.7 turns out to be as good as Ford hopes, they will certainly demand a premium price used.

DKB2GO

Observer
Wasn't Earthroamer developing a smaller F350 based platform?

I was under the same belief. I sent a PM to Bill Swails, in November 2010, but never got a response. Am keeping a watchful eye as I imagine Earthroamer opted to bring its bigger offering (XV-HD) to market prior to the F350 design.

cwsqbm

Explorer
Wasn't Earthroamer developing a smaller F350 based platform?

That was the rumor. Given that the demand (from those actually spending the money) is for larger, not smaller (hence the new XV-LTS's being built), going to the F650 is a wise business choice even if its not what I want personally.

Last edited:

Marc DDS

I spotted a "stretch" for the first time yesterday in Ely NV. My boys were certainly fans.

Cool rig!!

One question:

I noticed the rear disk rotors were SUPER exposed. I'm guessing it is because the axel was originally a dually and with the super single now on it, it leaves it sort of hanging out in the middle of nowhere???

Attachments

• IMG_1606.jpg
    IMG_1606.jpg
    525.9 KB · Views: 51

loup407

Adventurer
I did a tour of the factory last year, and I seem to recall the axle is a converted dual..but I may not be correct.

JRhetts

Adventurer
...I noticed the rear disk rotors were SUPER exposed. I'm guessing it is because the axel was originally a dually and with the super single now on it, it leaves it sort of hanging out in the middle of nowhere???

Yep!! They are all that way for exactly that reason. No protection now that the rear wheel is single and dished "out".

Overland Hadley

on a journey
No protection now that the rear wheel is single and dished "out".

There was some discussion in the Mog section about protecting the exposed brake rotor from a dually. One idea was to mount a cut down wheel, more or less you would have dually wheels but a single tire. No idea if it would work, but it was an interesting idea.

I know personally I do not like the idea of having an exposed brake rotor when driving on a rough road.

Marc DDS

It is generally accepted that a dually will not perform as well in off road or rough road situations.

I get that for a rock crawler or something on an SUV/pickup, but I don't see a dual wheel set up slowing something down or limiting ability on something as big as an Earth Roamer.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I get that for a rock crawler or something on an SUV/pickup, but I don't see a dual wheel set up slowing something down or limiting ability on something as big as an Earth Roamer.
You're probably right in the great majority of situations. There are a few times it can get ugly, though, the most prominent of which is getting a good-sized rock wedged between the two tires. Wedge it just right and there's no easy way to get it out. There's also a potential problem with mud packing in between the wheels, and there's often some sort of not-very-rugged valve extension to the inside wheel to get damaged

Another issue is if you are going to be airing down the tires for more traction. Deflating and reinflating six tires is 50% more work; not a big deal to do once a day, a pain to do often. Also, six tires cost more than four, the sizes available may or may not be as suitable for off-pavement, and it's hard to keep track of the condition of the two adjacent sidewalls. And while the effect depends on the specifics, duals generally provide more traction surface, but less traction pressure. Whether this is good or bad depends on the surface and the situation.

But you're right to think that duals won't often be the determining factor in whether you'd eventually get somewhere. The medium and heavy trucks hauling products to remote areas are on duals, so if you're traveling on a road, even a bad road, it's likely that it's workable without SRWs. Still, there are times . . .

JRhetts

Adventurer
Agree with everything mhiscox said above. But if you have to do a changeover, the $$ investment can be very high, especially trying to find rims and wheels to carry the load originally spread over 4 tires and wheels. And getting the off sets to align the front and rear wheels [purportedly desirable if you are going to the trouble to go to singles] can require one-off fabrication — if anyone is even willing to do it — and then they will in all likelihood not have DOT tested certification on the engineering, so ....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach