Excursion vs. SuperDuty

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
A heavy duty truck with a long lasting diesel motor (7.3), and a dana 60 (or 50) solid front axle vs an IFS chevy suburban for forestry work? Someone was misinformed, lied, or didn't know WHAT they were talking about.

Either:
1.) They screwed up when they ordered them and didn't spec them properly.
2.) Someone said Excursion when they meant Expedition.
3.) Wrong tires from the factory.
4.) The forestry department voted for Obama motors.

Across the entire product board, our fleet GM's are allways the worst offroad in stock form. Yesterday my van got towed out of only being stuck down in 2" of wet muddy gravel. Pathetic. Our 4x4 GM's are hardly much better. Only with rare luck do we accidentally get a G80 in the back of a GM and it works ok-ish then. Still, a Surburban......is darn easy to outdo with choices from Dodge and Ford.

And still, the Ford Excusion was really easy to order in a useless lowered version, maybe thats what the foresry numbies did.

sdwhip

Observer
Has anyone seen a new Excursion? I saw one last week in San Angelo, Tx. At first I thought it just had a new front clip on it and 6.7 badges but when I drove by it I noticed the new interior and paper tags. I didn't know they were making them again.

I think they have their pricing a bit off. If you could get that for $60k, I bet they wouldn't be able to keep up with demand. A F250/350 in a decent trim level (i.e. Lariat or so) is just around 50k itself. Add a decent donor, and all the labor, I bet that would go for north of 80 if not 90. I think it's great that people are doing that. Great vehicle, add the 6.7L and you have an exceptional big rig that'll get ~18-20 mpg on the highway (get rid of all the smog #$!$@#$ and it'll do 22+)

Kaisen

Explorer
Or, just buy a new loaded 3/4 ton gas Suburban for less than $60K and have an extra $50K left for modifications and fuel. You'd really have to have blinders on to have them build you a 'new' Excursion

Stoney126

Adventurer
just to chime in I believe all exs have dana 50s up front where i believe in 01 SD's got 60's could be off on the year.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
OP, if you're still out there, you could go either way... and be happy. I was looking for an X but couldn't find a rust free one, with a diesel. Settled on a crew cab short bed. I put a camper shell on her so she could have the covered cargo space. She's a little longer, but wheels pretty good, and I got more cargo space than an X.

TKSC01

Adventurer
Dana 60

So.....my two centson the Dana 60 thing, I just went through this with my 2000 Excursion. The Dana 50 went south and I didnt want to fix it nor did I want to replace it with another Dana 50. I called a local junkyard and bought a "Dana 60 from a single rear wheel F350" when I got it home I ran the BOM code and found it was a Dana 50. They put the Dana 50s in SRW F350s too! I had no idea, so I sent it back and got a Dana 60 from a DRW Ford F350 and it is a true Dana 60 BOM codes are correct and I know have what I wanted. All the outer stuff disks calipers unit bearings etc are the same.

jdinevens

Adventurer
OP, if you're still out there, you could go either way... and be happy. I was looking for an X but couldn't find a rust free one, with a diesel. Settled on a crew cab short bed. I put a camper shell on her so she could have the covered cargo space. She's a little longer, but wheels pretty good, and I got more cargo space than an X.

i did the same thing, i wanted to keep seating available for 4 and the deal breaker for me was that i'm too tall to sleep in the back, i just fit in the short bed at 6'3" plus they didn't offer the Xs in 6spds. i'll post pics of mine as soon as i get the topper in =)

gavan

Observer
i did the same thing, i wanted to keep seating available for 4 and the deal breaker for me was that i'm too tall to sleep in the back, i just fit in the short bed at 6'3" plus they didn't offer the Xs in 6spds. i'll post pics of mine as soon as i get the topper in =)

My X is a six speed! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad