Florida Tacoma build

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Well a good first day. Had to run a few errands picked some tire skates to move,the truck around and a lot of fluids filter etc. Finally got to work and spent a lot of time cleaning but did get the snorkel removed to clean and reseal the system.man was it dirty.truck has been outside for 2 years found a nest inside the snorkel tube. I guess the birdies got in cause the screen was broken. Also replaced the windshield wipers cause it was a big priority lol. But hey the ball is rolling. Going to go a little deeper tomorrow, hope to inspect brakes tomorrow and more cleaning.

RangerXLT

Adventurer
When you get done with it shoot me a PM and I'll come buy it from ya. Haha awesome truck man. Great build.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
When you get done with it shoot me a PM and I'll come buy it from ya. Haha awesome truck man. Great build.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Never know I might sell it in the next year. I do need something bigger for The family in the long run. Depends on how $ goes. I am getting something new to do Dd duty so depending on what that is.

ca18_sean

Adventurer
You still in Tampa? I have a 1st gen Tacoma that I daily as my work truck. Also have a 1st gen 4Runner that I'm building. I'm in Odessa but would be down to help if you ever need a hand. I'd love to see a diesel Toyota in town. If my 3rz ever quits I'll probably put a diesel in mine. 310k and going strong!

0b4521753c37ab7c21e347bc86fd4506.jpg

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the offer ill probably take you up on that. I'll let you know when I get closer to needing a hand.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Well I was out of town for several days. Decided to pull kids out of school for a 4 day weekend to Orlando. Hit Mecum, Disney world and a couple days r&r at the hotel. You know. Sun shine swimming etc. Sorry for u northern folk up in the blizzard! Any way got home and someone left a pile of rubbers at my doorstep lol. 5 New Maxxis Bighorn 255/85/16. Can't beat a set of 5 for $860 shipped! Was gonna try the km2 but these were 500 less and the bighorns did me right the first go around.

Today I made it into the garage to work on the truck. Wanted to pull the rear axle and get it ready for a make over. Plus get easier access to the bottom for a good brushing and chassis paint. After 2 hours of sweet talking she finally gave it up. Now to pull the rear leafs, and get to cleaning.

Still waiting on parts from an online order that got botched. But plenty to do before my complete brake system replacement, axle seals, bearing, brake lines and other stuff get here.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Well still taking her apart. Out with the tank. Going to drain and flush It since,It has sat for so long. Now the leaves are coming out. This will give me better access to frame for a refresh. Over all frame is ok but given the issues with these frames I am going to brush the frame, steam clean it, Treat with ospho and then paint it with por15. That should get the frame ready for another 18 years of service.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Well unfortunately today was an errand day. But good news I got my first pile of parts. I picked up the chassis degreaser and por15 for the frame. Then I picked up all the brake parts. New drums shoes cylinders self adjusters and hardware for the rear brakes. Also got New tundra pads and rotors for the front. Still waiting on new tundra calipers and stainless brake lines to come in but I won't start on re doing the rear axle till next week anyway. Got to do the frame first. Looking forward to Monday so I can get going again.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Well things are still moving along. I have removed the tires from the wheels and am getting ready to freshen up the wheels. The rear axle has been taken down with new axle seals and bearings, new fluids sanded primed and painted. I had to cut the ubolts to get it out and got a little froggy with the plasma cutter. So had to fill a gouge in the tube with the tig welder but no big deal. I Will be butting on 100% new drum brakes tomorrow to complete that part of the project. I also sanded down the gas tank skid and repainted it. Next was the chassis. I have wire brushed all the rusty spots and blasted off all the remainng stuff with high pressure air. Hoping to get the chassis washed degreased and painted this week as well. Gas tank has been drained and flushed and is ready to go back in. I also started stripping the rubber bedliner off my rear bumper but am not done with that yet, It will get paint also.

Looking forward to getting the chassis painted so I can reassemble the back half of the truck and get started on the front suspension and axle. I am waiting on another round of parts from Marlin Crawler, Energy suspension, And a few others. Here are some progress pics. Keep in mind that I am not producing a show truck. This is a trail rig so my objective is no tidy up any surface rust and prevent it from becoming a problem. Although I am capable of it, here is no show level detail work here because its going to get put to regular use once it is running again.

oops

fixed

primed

Painted

Sanded primed and painted

My neighbor helping by grinding bumper coating off.

Just having some fun in the a.m.

Now you see why I am putting in 100% new brake components. And upgrading to tundra brakes in the front.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Well a little more progress. This week I got the wheels refurbished. that was an easy but time consuming project. Just waiting a few more days for dry time so I can get the New tires mounted.

Before they were peeling badly and had a bit of aluminum corrosion.

After I cleaned them. I used a die grinder with scothbrite pad to take down the bad powder coat and corrosion. Next I scuffed them thourughly with a red scotchbrite pad by hand and used a cleaning solvent. Then laid down 3 coats of duplicolor graphite wheel paint and finally 3 coats of the clearcoat, about 45 min to 1 hr prep per wheel and then about 2 hours of painting.

Good news is you can do 5 wheels in a day if you can actually block out that much time.

ADVW/Liam

Adventurer
awesome!

I just read every post in this thread. Awesome job on building that thing up, and sticking to it. I've got a 2010 DC Tacoma that I add stuff to every quarter or so, and I've wondered when I'll be done with it. Probably never, because the List is long... 4.55 gears, ARB or Eaton electric lockers front and back, rear swingout bumper (do I build? do I buy?) roof rack, bed rack that will still allow me to utilize the Bestop Supertop... will it ever stop?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven