Florida Tacoma build

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Oh yea Got my gears in today! :jump: That was fast since I ordered them on monday. They lockers are gonna be here next week! The guys at DC4WD are really good :clapsmile . That is unheard of shipping time after Thanksgiving weekend. I figured 10-14 days.

Anyway having those bad boys show up today has got me chomping at the bit to get to work. Now all I can think about is when can I slip out of work a day to start getting on the electrical / compressor system install, so I can get to the fun part.....AXLES! I just can't wait to crack open those thirds. This will be my first time doing gears so it will be fun. Been doing some studying on gears the last to weeks looks like it's not tedious but definetly not rocket science.

I've always learned out of neccesity like how to build a motor. Blew the engine in my bug on my way to school when I was 16. Went to the VW shop and got an 1835 kit with weber carbs and all. tore it apart and had it up and running for school on monday LOL got the crash course LOL!

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Well Santa came early. He dropped off these goodies. :jump:

Genuine 4.88 gears
Timken Master install kits
Front ARB locker
Rear ARB locker
Viair 460 Compressor
Viair install kit
2.5 gallon tank
air relocation kit
air fittings kit

Here are the other parts sitting in the garage also. Hella driving lights, carraige lights, under hood light, 12v accesory ports, battery isolator, fuse block, second yellow top, and inverter.

Between these and the parts for my electrical box, the parts are really piling up! I have to get some time off to start installation. Anyone want to fly in and lend a hand LOL!

Last edited:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Nice build up you got going! Looking great and some great pictures so far! Keep up the great work! What are you using for an antenna now? Do you have a power antenna?

Wil

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I am using an ebay antenna. It is all rubber so I do not have to worry so much about getting it snapped off. I think it was like $7 for it.

vanguard

Adventurer
Nullifier said:
Then on Monday I am ordering my yukon 4.88 gears and F/R ARB lockers Yea!
Hopefully I can get it all installed by the end of the month. Just depends on when the gears and lockers show up.
I am planning on doing the same thing (regear and ARB lock) in the spring. I'm wondering how much you have budgeted for it? $2k? $2.5k?

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Well I got my gears and lockers for $1850 shipped! I am doing the install myself so a few $ more for gaskets lube etc but that's it. Oh well I guess I'm going to replace my wheel bearing at the same time since I'm in there. I think that most installers get about $400-$500 per axle to set up gears and arb. If you have an axle with a third member and pull it out for them you could save a few $'s I'm sure. But you will have to take on drilling the axle housing for the air line. Scary for non mechanical types but not difficult.

I'll post pics of the install after it happens.

riverguide

Adventurer
late to the party here. Those are some sweet pictures and a funny video. Great work on that truck.

i'll be lookin forward to seeing you build this truck up.

erin

Explorer
:coffee:
Very sweet vid, i somehow missed that earlier. I think you should be glad you had the yank strap instead of the lockers, seems like it saved you more than th traction. Would be cool to see the same run after the gears/ lockers just to see if you could smooth things out coming down.:D

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Well I will check it out this year when I go to the Great smokey mountain traill ride hosted by TLCA in may. I willl shoot a ton of video so if we end up coming down peckerwood then I'll have some footaage. I hear the park service is going to dynamite that opsticle soon so it may not be much of anything by the time I get there, we'll see.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Ok so I decided to go back and do some reports on some old mods. you will notice in some of the pics that the armour predates tires since it has 225/75 tires on it!

First up was my custom rear bumper. When designing it at that time I had only seen the tube wrap around bumpers but did not like the look of them since you could see through them . I decided I had to have full wrap around sides to protect the sheetmetal since I did not want to cut the sheet metal off the bed side. I wanted the main rear section to be solid and have 2 pull points and a reciever.the following pics are stock rear.
rearstock.jpg
[/IMG]
rearsidestock.jpg
[/IMG]

We started this project at my buddy Damons shop with some rectangular tubing and 1.75 tube, and a bunch of scrap plate.

We first started by measuring the width of the rear and deciding how wide to make the box tube. once cut to length with the chop saw we made the 2 pull points. We started with some 1/4" plate and cut out 4 pieces (same shape) with a plasma cutter. then took 2 pices and tig welded them together making a 1/2 piece and repeated. then we took our pull points and centered them as closed to the frame as possible. Holes were cut on both sides of the box for each pull point. Then we made our markes and cut a hole for the center reciever. both pull points and center reciver tube were then tig welded on both sides of the bumper for maximum strength. finally the main section was caped with 1/4 plate tig welded into place.

bumperpieces1.jpg
[/IMG]
damontig.jpg
[/IMG]
pullpoint.jpg
[/IMG]
rearbumperassembly.jpg
[/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member