For those that carry Guns and Overlanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
To Scott's point on training - I'm new to this, first handgun purchase less than 6 months ago. His thread on the training at Gunsite was a great inspiration. I've now done two one day classes locally and a 4 day at Front Sight in NV. I plan to continue that training at least annually with trips to a local range for practice. It's a perishable skill like any other.

To Christophe's point - just doing research and 1 1/2 years to make the decision to carry for me, when I found out on one particular trip that a certain individual carried, I was as nervous as HE!!. Most others no.

Nice to see that this thread hasn't gone the way of so many others into personal attacks.

It's a personal decision one way or the other and you need to be comfortable with that decision.

The most important accessory you can get for a firearm is training. My opinion.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Why do you 'open' carry?

I have not found a single functional argument for open carry if the option for concealed carry exists. Tactically and statistically, it is more dangerous than not carrying at all... Just something to consider.

When I worked on the family ranch, I open carried on the horse. I will often carry my USP 45 in a cross-draw shoulder holster when I am driving in the outback. But I never, ever open carry in populated areas.

Must he have your approval? The only justification to carry or not belongs to the person bearing the arm.

As to the people scared of the persons carrying why are you going adventuring with them if you don't think they make good decisions? When all you have is the other people to rely on in your group I would think you select with care those that you go with.

Carry, stow, leave behind all decisions I cannot make for others only myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmt1271

I am never without one. To me it's just like everything else (and would seem inherent to the premise of this forum actually) it's about self reliance.

I'm never without a sidearm at minimum. Won't intentionally go to places that limit, usually illegally in a constitutional sense, my God given rights.

Better to have and not need, etc.

Jmt1271

Too many are irresponsible with guns.

Do you believe that irresponsible folks should be able to limit what responsible folks can possess or do?

That would suck. Drunk drivers limiting sober drivers vehicle possession. Folks who don't respect property rights, or taking care not to damage the terrain off road limiting responsible people's access to the terrain?

The list goes on and on. Freedom comes with things that we would rather do without. Just have to accept that if you wish to live in a free society as opposed to the nanny state we've become with a giant mostly unaccountable government replacing free men's own judgement.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Hey guys play nice..:)
What I maybe should have posted is "how many of you keep a firearm in your camper, tent, car etc when you go camping, for a peace of mind"
Kevin

kmacafee

Adventurer
Why do you 'open' carry?

I have not found a single functional argument for open carry if the option for concealed carry exists. Tactically and statistically, it is more dangerous than not carrying at all... Just something to consider.

When I worked on the family ranch, I open carried on the horse. I will often carry my USP 45 in a cross-draw shoulder holster when I am driving in the outback. But I never, ever open carry in populated areas.

I am curious as well. As a former LEO who comes from a family of LEO's, none of us can figure out why anyone would open carry, much less wear 5.11 pants, tactical vests (and the list could go on and on). In much of the LEO community, open carry and tactical clothing is called "shoot me first gear".

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I am curious as well. As a former LEO who comes from a family of LEO's, none of us can figure out why anyone would open carry, much less wear 5.11 pants, tactical vests (and the list could go on and on). In much of the LEO community, open carry and tactical clothing is called "shoot me first gear".

I agree, I carry everywhere, and don't print, but why would anyone want to be the first guy shot, the first target, to expose the most important weapon you carry is crazy to me. Besides your mind, you gun is best used as a element of surprise, plus if you were in the middle of a bad situation, LEO's show up on the scene, I do not want to make them wonder if I am a part of the crime, they wont here you say "I am a CCW carrier"

Camping in the middle of nowhere is another situation that if approached by bad people, potential threat, you need a few seconds to assess what is going on, make the right decision, you don't want a criminal to be staring at a side arm, you want to make him think you are not a threat, at least for a few seconds.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
The only time I've ever seen anyone open carrying was at a car show in the suburbs. I was already watching these two guys with thier ****ty facial hair and their energy drinks in hand. They were scanning the area like they were up to something. Then I saw they were both open carrying. I'm not saying everyone open carrying is a d bag but the ones Ive seen are.

I have a number of firearms and usually have one near me.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable

Its one of those things that really shouldn't matter though. If you want to look like special forces in public more power to ya. As far as "shoot me first gear" you know more than most people are a terrible shot anyways.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
As to the people scared of the persons carrying why are you going adventuring with them if you don't think they make good decisions? When all you have is the other people to rely on in your group I would think you select with care those that you go with.
This is pretty basic. Years ago I used to ice climb with a friend, great guy, who is a physician, damn smart guy, but had only been climbing for a few months. Knowing he didn't have much experience, do you think just because he was a smart, level headed dude, I'd put my life in his hands on an ice climb? Of course not.

Same exact reason YOU wouldn't want ME in your camp with a firearm since I've not had a day's training. Seems pretty simple to me.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
open carry and tactical clothing is called "shoot me first gear".
I know an individual with scads of combat training, always has lots of guns, ammo, and tactical gear with him, but always stowed within normal packs and bags, nothing that smacks of "tactical." He said he'd rather people think his pack is full of stinky socks and granola bars than guns, cameras, and other expensive things worth fighting over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven