Ford F150 Raptor project

Wonderland

Explorer
Factory warranty?

I rather build exactly what I want than have a warranty, never owned a vehicle with a warranty. I man up and fix it myself. :ylsmoke:

I do like the Raptor, however it could be done better and cheaper with aftermarket. Seriously lift blocks on a $45K truck, that is just silly.

At least do it right. "If you're not going to right the first time, don't do it it all"

0070.jpg

Last edited:

Wonderland

Explorer
and most likely resale. A $45,000 truck normally would resell for far closer to $45,000 then a $25,000 truck with $20,000 in mods would.

Vehicles are horrible investments especially what is rolling off the line in this modern world. The average consumer is only going to loose money purchasing vehicles, you want to make money on vehicle sales become a dealer.

I buy a vehicle to suit my needs and desires, not about what it is worth down the road. It is only money after all. You can't put a price on the enjoyment one gets out of a vehicle.

And lets be realistic, sure $45K for a truck is a lot of money, but you really aren't being going to Baja and pounding 3-4' truck whoops with 13" of suspension and no roll cage. You need to spend triple-quadruple plus that amount. That or by a dirt bike or a small buggy. If you want to hammer.

http://www.stewartsraceworks.com/

0809or_11_z+raceworks_2006_ford_f150_prerunner_final_step_up+jumping_catching_air.jpg

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Edmunds Inside Line is reporting (speculating, really) that Ford will
introduce a four door version of the Raptor this Fall.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2010/04/exclusive-ford-svt-to-build-supercrew-raptor.html

Update: Ford now confirms that the crew cab Raptor will be sold this Fall,
6.2L V8 only. Let's hope the crew cab gets a bump in cargo capacity, too.

Here's a Pickuptrucks.com article with a photo of the test vehicle
referenced in the Inside Line piece.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/09/spied-ford-f150-svt-raptor-supercrew-crew-cab.html

haven

Expedition Leader
Nice find. It's not too often you see a video produced by KBB that
urges you to "drive like murderous robots are chasing you."

haven

Expedition Leader
Mike Levine at Pickuptrucks.com got a chance to drive the Raptor with
the new 6.2L V8. His review is here
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/04/first-drive-review-2010-6-2-liter-v-8-ford-f150-svt-raptor.html

The reviewers tested the engine on a chassis dyno, and found that the 6.2L
produces more power and torque at the rear wheels than the original 5.4L
produced at the flywheel. That power means a 0-60 time that's 1.2 seconds
less than the 5.4 V8 produced.

Sean Holman posted his impressions of the same test drive on Four Wheeler.
Sean says the 6.2L gets a slightly revised shock valving that feels more
refined and supple than the setup in the original Raptor.
http://blogs.fourwheeler.com/663783...is-out-and-we-got-behind-the-wheel/index.html

The bad news: The pair averaged about 10 mpg in mixed driving, and
14 mpg on the highway. I guess it's hard to keep your foot off the gas!

Base price for the 2010 Raptor with 5.4L V8 is $38K. Add $3K for the 6.2L.

Fresno

Adventurer
Only in Wonderland.....

You could build this for about the same $$$...which will have better suspension than the Raptor. Sure the Raptor has more power, but if you can't get it to the ground...

A super charged Toyota 4.0 isn't too far off from the HP of a 5.4 Ford. Power to weight ratio might be real close between the two.

0087.jpg
131_0903_01_z+march_2009_auto_news+ford_raptor_svt.jpg

Ford finally got the styling right with the Raptor, too bad the regular F150 didn't get the same.

I don't know how you can back that up. First off, I own and drive a Raptor 6.2. I paid well below the 45K you state - out the door.

411 hp and a Special Vehicle Team/Fox suspension and you think you can match that with a Toyota and 20K at the local 4 wheel parts store? Show me.

The fact is this is a proven off road truck. Check out the Born in Baja video or the numerous owners beating the hell out of these stock Raptors on YouTube. This truck was designed by the factory to catch air, get sideways and haul ***.

Build what you want, but be honest about it. $41K for a brand new, limited production, 411hp pre runner with a factory warranty (and did I mention it looks incredible?) - you can't beat it.

First off, I own and drive a Raptor 6.2.

Check out the Born in Baja video or the numerous owners beating the hell out of these stock Raptors on YouTube.

This truck was designed by the factory to catch air, get sideways and haul ***.

You going to do the same thing with yours or what? Where's the pics! Let's see the awesomeness in action! :smiley_drive:

Spur

Adventurer
Saw one up close for the first time last weekend. I was really impressed. I haven't been this impressed by a factory truck since the powerwagon came out. At a car show full of junk that nobody cares about, the raptor stood head and shoulders above the rest. I would love to go fast in one some day.

Got to say though, first thing I would do is get rid of that hideous grill. Can't stand it.

Fresno

Adventurer
Doing the Oregon Coast at the beginning of next month. Will post some pics of the Raptor doing its thing with a camper shell no less.

Got to say though, first thing I would do is get rid of that hideous grill. Can't stand it.

I love the grill. Ford makes a nice light bar that holds 4 eight inch lights, covers most of the grill which will make you happy. Still researching which lights I want.

SpaceWrangler

I don't know how you can back that up. First off, I own and drive a Raptor 6.2. I paid well below the 45K you state - out the door.

411 hp and a Special Vehicle Team/Fox suspension and you think you can match that with a Toyota and 20K at the local 4 wheel parts store? Show me.

The fact is this is a proven off road truck. Check out the Born in Baja video or the numerous owners beating the hell out of these stock Raptors on YouTube. This truck was designed by the factory to catch air, get sideways and haul ***.

Build what you want, but be honest about it. $41K for a brand new, limited production, 411hp pre runner with a factory warranty (and did I mention it looks incredible?) - you can't beat it.

i don't think any of the aftermarket parts on that tacoma came from 4wp.

and no matter how you cut it. ...the raptor is still sitting on blocks! that's weak sauce.

as far as the warranty. ..you think ford is going to cover under warranty the parts you break from hard landings? just try to get them to replace a blown shock, bent control arm, or broken mount. ..they'll likely tell you to go pound sand.

now, ..this is what you can get for a measly $16k

0811or_14_z+2005_toyota_tacoma_4wd_trd_terrific_tacoma+front.jpg

http://offroad.automotive.com/94428/0811or-2005-toyota-tacoma-4wd-trd-terrific-tacoma/index.html

try to imagine what could be done by dumping another $24k into it.

Last edited:

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
Doing the Oregon Coast at the beginning of next month. Will post some pics of the Raptor doing its thing with a camper shell no less.

I love the grill. Ford makes a nice light bar that holds 4 eight inch lights, covers most of the grill which will make you happy. Still researching which lights I want.

cool , look fwd to the pics!

Love the 6.2 Raptor. There are a few Raptors running around my area.

I HATED the grill in photos but once you see the truck in real life, it's really impressive.
The truck is WIDE and looks great. The styling on the hood, fenders, grill all look aggressive and well-executed.

Love that Ford made something like this!

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Funny, I just saw one of these in the parking lot the other day. Had to drive around it about 4 times. Looks like a nice truck right off the factory line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk