Fred the Van. The More We Explore's Adventure Van Build Thread

Capital E

I got my driveshafts from Slyco Drivelines in SLC when I did my conversion. They were great to work with and somewhat local for you. Nice job so far. It's good to see another UJOR van in Northern Utah.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Good news, Tom Woods is building me my driveshafts. We had a communication problem on the phone yesterday (I'm sure it was my fault), and they informed me that a CV joint can't be added to a FIXED yoke 1356. Since I have the slip yoke, it's no problem. That means I'll make it to my moab trip this weekend. Woot.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Explorer
I talked with Troy @ Tom Woods. He is VERY knowledgeable, and he actually has customer service skills, unlike every other driveline shop I've talked to this week.

rdcolorado

Observer
I still have the stock springs in the rear with blocks for the lift...ala Tulsa truck. Future replacement springs....

rdcolorado

sixstringsteve

Explorer
ok, thanks rdcolorado. It looks like we've got options. It's nice that I won't have to swap my tcase out, I was going to regret that.

Unfortunately I welded my perches too high. For those swapping to a 10.5 sterling, I recommend welding the pinion angle 1-3* lower than the tcase angle.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Steve, I was reminded about another offroad trailer option for you. They were at the NW Overland Rally, and OvEx as well IIRC. Probably the best amount of offerings I've seen to date. VMI Offroad in Northern Washington;
http://www.vmioffroad.com/
Canyon or Alpine must be just what you're looking for.

-Jeremy

DzlToy

Explorer
^^ Talked to them at the Flagstaff show and it seems they really do have it together. The only downside that I encountered is that their products seem to be quite popular and there was, at the time of the show, a 16 MONTH lead time. Please check that for yourself, but I was a bit taken aback.

justbecause

perpetually lost
A guy in Atlanta Georgia is about to start selling offroad trailers.

You could pick one up, swing by chris, and crash a couple of nights in tuscaloosa coming or going.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
^^ Talked to them at the Flagstaff show and it seems they really do have it together. The only downside that I encountered is that their products seem to be quite popular and there was, at the time of the show, a 16 MONTH lead time. Please check that for yourself, but I was a bit taken aback.

Well I thought they might be a bit small of an outfit but IMHO when you start getting over 8mos out and esp if you're losing customers due to the wait, you hire another team member. 16mos can be seen as something to be proud of for sure, but not when people look elsewhere for a similar product and thus you start losing momentum/clients vs gaining. My $0.02.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Well I thought they might be a bit small of an outfit but IMHO when you start getting over 8mos out and esp if you're losing customers due to the wait, you hire another team member. 16mos can be seen as something to be proud of for sure, but not when people look elsewhere for a similar product and thus you start losing momentum/clients vs gaining. My $0.02.

To me this says company that is not managing their financial resources properly. There is no good excuse to be 16 months out on a product. None. As you said, if you are that busy and your product is that much in demand you put on some more staff. If you wont, it most likely means you can't. And if you can't it most likely means you can't afford to. If you're that busy and can't afford to, you manufacturing process is probably extremely inefficient and eating up your bottom line. I have a suspicion a bunch of these trailer makers are a step above Mom & Pop, living essentially paycheck to paycheck, and never got far enough ahead of the game to be able to invest back in the company. IE unable to pay additional employees long enough for the additional sales they are servicing to start paying off.

I'm guessing that's also why you see those with the 50% (approx) deposits required, and still making a customer live with a 6 mo + delivery date. They're using the deposits of future sales to fund current operating expenses. Scary. Almost like a manufacturing Ponzi scheme.

That's my story anyway. :)

screwball48

Explorer
A company can only fit so many worker ants into one mound before it must expand the mound. Sometimes the capital to expand the mound must be saved up before the purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Those trailers look cool. I wish they made one model even bigger, without a pop top. I want something a little more long-term, but I do like where they're headed. 16 months? no thanks.

We are pretty fond of the older Avion aluminum trailers. We're going to look at one tomorrow.

I'm halfway through the edit for the next episode. It should be posted by the weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner