Gladiator Pop-Up Pass Through Camper Build

Mules

The leaking bar oil is the primary reason I have not purchased one yet. I don't want one from another manufacturer because I am 10+ tools deep in the DeWalt ecosystem.

Yeah I am a gas chainsaw guy. No problems starting my Stihl. However, I did see DeWalt now has a 60V, 20" bar chainsaw that I am tempted to get. I already have four 9 aH, 60V batteries so would be ready to go.
Funny, I've got 10 Dewalts plus all the batters and chargers. Now I can't buy another brand, since I'm in too deep.

Mules

It's time for another adventure, and it looks like I'm heading east to the Smokey Mountain 1000.

Let me know where your favorite 4 wheeling roads and camp sites are. I'm looking for National Forest camp sites on top of mountains and next to rivers. Let me know!!

Screen Shot 2024-08-22 at 8.22.24 AM.png

Mules

I widened a couple of my ATV trails so I can get the Jeep down them. Still need to widen my creek crossings.IMG_0332.jpegIMG_0314.jpegIMG_0330.jpegIMG_0327.jpeg

Last edited:

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
The leaking bar oil is the primary reason I have not purchased one yet. I don't want one from another manufacturer because I am 10+ tools deep in the DeWalt ecosystem.

Yeah I am a gas chainsaw guy. No problems starting my Stihl. However, I did see DeWalt now has a 60V, 20" bar chainsaw that I am tempted to get. I already have four 9 aH, 60V batteries so would be ready to go.
It really sucks too because the saw is a killer little wood shredder. I use it with a little bar oil in it and sit it on a rag on my bench to catch what leaks out of the reservoir. lol There is a larger version of it.
Honestly if I were going to use it a lot more I probably would have grabbed a gas Stihl or a battery powered one. I like you have a tool cabinet full of the DeWalt stuff, so I am in the ecosystem for the long haul.

Mules

My power supply petered out. Good thing I had my backup dash mini to cook breakfast. Plugged it in the truck’s inverter.

It was a bit hot to sleep last night so I ran the truck’s AC for 10 minutes to cool down the camper. Slept like a rock.

IMG_0363.jpeg

Dave in AZ

Here Dan details how he built his sleeping platform.

I've been watching it. Fun series but... that sleep platform design is a nightmare! Having to hook it up and down on all 4 corners with carabiners, and a 2" foam matress?? I've seen 100 folks reject poor 4" mattresses and switch to Hest. 2" is all the room he has? Yuck. Not loving his sleep platform.

Dave in AZ

Given Dan's been doing this for 15+ years, I expect he knows what he needs, shrug. But I'm with you, no thanks to 2" foam.

The four corners lift - I think the subtext was he was in a mighty hurry to get it functional, go for a shakedown run, and get it in the container. Wouldn't be shocked if he revises that down the line
For sure. And honestly, he is a pretty "roughing it" overlander in most all things, and his vast experience surely lets him get by and be happy with setups that wouldn't work for wife and I... I'm not as hardcore, and my wife wouldn't go without a gucci mattress, the next day backpain just makes it not worth it for her.

For instance, Dan has a great video on "best international stove" where he picks the Coleman dualfuel sportster. Now that has always been my backpacking stove and I love it, my current backup in truck. But I want a more gourmet setup for my trips, Coleman propane dual burner, or an induction cooktop.

And also yeah, that bed platform was all jammed into one last video after a year of building vids, he definitely had to get something made and usable to meet his shipping deadline!

Really looking forward to his vids showing the new camper use and how he likes it all!

Mules

For sure. And honestly, he is a pretty "roughing it" overlander in most all things, and his vast experience surely lets him get by and be happy with setups that wouldn't work for wife and I... I'm not as hardcore, and my wife wouldn't go without a gucci mattress, the next day backpain just makes it not worth it for her.

For instance, Dan has a great video on "best international stove" where he picks the Coleman dualfuel sportster. Now that has always been my backpacking stove and I love it, my current backup in truck. But I want a more gourmet setup for my trips, Coleman propane dual burner, or an induction cooktop.

And also yeah, that bed platform was all jammed into one last video after a year of building vids, he definitely had to get something made and usable to meet his shipping deadline!

Really looking forward to his vids showing the new camper use and how he likes it all!
Since Michael was the true mastermind behind Dan's design, and Michael's build didn't have an upper bed, Dan had to create his own. I learned my lesson with my bed that you need to incorporate the bed design in the conception.

The simplest fix for Dan is just to hinge it on the front end and add a couple pneumatic struts. He'll only give up a couple feet of walking room at the front.

The bed is shown pushed up in the upper right of this picture of my interior.

IMG_5049.jpegIMG_5048.jpeg

Last edited:

Dave in AZ

Since Michael was the true mastermind behind Dan's design, and Michael's build didn't have an upper bed, Dan had to create his own. I learned my lesson with my bed that you need to incorporate the bed design in the conception.

The simplest fix for Dan is just to hinge it on the front end and add a couple pneumatic struts. He'll only give up a couple feet of walking room at the front.

The bed is shown pushed up in the upper right of this picture of my interior.

View attachment 850953View attachment 850954
I do love your setup! My buddy has a Jeep, I showed him your setup this weekend!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
havanother