Gladiator Pop-Up Pass Through Camper Build

Dave in AZ

I wonder if anyone has tried running one that heats itself yet?
The Dakota Lifepo4 battery in that youtube video actually DOES heat itself. If he doesnt cover it in the video, then he does talk about it in his accompanying blog. Also, browse that blog, it is a frigging wealth of info!

Dave in AZ

I've been following Dakota and Antigravity Car Starter batteries for a few years. I keep thinking about replacing my stock Jeep Gladiator battery with a Lithium battery to cut a lot of weight and increase the capacity. Also I could get rid of the power supply and just run the camper off the Starter Battery. They sound awesome!

Everything sounds great, and both companies have a lot of experience in automotive and marine applications. My only holdup is below freezing operation/charging. I keep coming across information like below:

View attachment 817672

I ran my Pecron Lithium power supply at 10 degrees F, but it discharged to 0% power within 10 minutes. Also, it would not charge below 32F. I suspect that these batteries will discharge below 32F, and have enough juice to start a truck, but they have very limited capacity below 32F and won't charge until they warm up to 32F.

If anyone has experience using Lithium batteries for extended periods below 32F, please chime in!! I am very curious how well they work below freezing.
Mules, can you talk some more about this "I ran my Pecron Lithium power supply at 10 degrees F, but it discharged to 0% power within 10 minutes."
I read your earlier posts about it not working at -10f or such, but not that it discharged. Did it actually discharge somehow, or did the displayed resting voltage just drop to 12.8 or something, then recover when warm? (This seems to be a common thing when some BMS turn off to protect battery, looks discharged but goes back to 13.3 or so when battery later takes a wee bit of charge...)
Also, note that Dakota is a heated battery. Read the blog I linked, he goes over 2 years use in cold weather. I'm not convinced yet either...

Mules

Mules, can you talk some more about this "I ran my Pecron Lithium power supply at 10 degrees F, but it discharged to 0% power within 10 minutes."
I read your earlier posts about it not working at -10f or such, but not that it discharged. Did it actually discharge somehow, or did the displayed resting voltage just drop to 12.8 or something, then recover when warm? (This seems to be a common thing when some BMS turn off to protect battery, looks discharged but goes back to 13.3 or so when battery later takes a wee bit of charge...)
Also, note that Dakota is a heated battery. Read the blog I linked, he goes over 2 years use in cold weather. I'm not convinced yet either...
My power supply acted very strange when it was at 10 deg F. I'm pretty sure it displayed 100% charge when I started it to run my Diesel Heater. Everything started OK, but I came back in 10 minutes and my power supply kicked off stating it was near empty. At first I thought I broke it somehow or blew a fuse, since it would not work or charge. Then once the temperature was over 32F it started charging/working again as normal. I'm very suspicious about Lithium batteries operating below 32F now. Even if they work, you'll have to warm them up to get them to to full capacity or to take a charge. You might want to keep them in the Cab of the truck in the winter, or bring them inside the house at night. It would probably take a couple hours to warm them up if left outside in winter.

I also tried it at -10F prior, but it did not work at all.

Last edited:

Dave in AZ

@Mules thx for that info. So, I made my first public Youtube video today, on installing my insulation. Here is a link to my post and the vid if you want to see my starting setup.

I also made one on my Pecron e1500LFP setup for camper, dc fuseblock setup with wire and fuse sizes for LED lights, heating blanket, diesel heater, maxxair fan, fridge. Then also one for installing my Vevor diesel heater and correct power supply for it. But I have to edit all those, just learning as you can tell. ;)

Mules

The weather finally broke in Missouri. It's sunny and 35F this morning. Good day for a 10 mile single track ride.

IMG_9573.JPG

Mules

Neat idea for a tailgate kitchen, but a bit pricey. Drop a burner or induction stove in it, and you're ready to go tailgating.

Screen Shot 2024-02-17 at 8.29.01 AM.png

Motafinga

Adventurer
Mules, I did a few posts on another group listing the common errors folks make installing. Here you go:
Latest info for you after testing my new Vevor.

I just finished starting and testing my new 5kw Vevor diesel heater, all in one vertical. Works fantastic! Took 5 min to set up, I am test running it now going on 3 hrs to see fuel burn.

Good bluetooth app, good control head, and good remote control. Running great off my Pecron e1500LFP power station, using the 30A xt60 port. Runs from 9w min setting level1, to 65W on max level 10.

I watched 60 videos on these, and 90% of them had incorrect installs that would cause errors! Pay attention to these key points for trouble free, apparently:

1. Exhaust pipe must be horizontal to downward so moisture condensation flows out. So many people say, "exhaust is too hot for moisture, I won't worry about it," and get error code.

2. Total bends in exhaust must be less than 270 degrees. Less is better, minimize combustion air loop restrictions.

3. Input Amps, needs 12v and 15A. It doesn't use 15A i.e. 180W, but will use 120W on startup, so 10 amp. If it's power draw of 10A on start is restricted, say by plugging it into a power station port that doesn't really deliver 10A, it will throw an error.

4. Input Voltage, needs 12v. If power station isn't regulated to >12v, most good ones are 12.7 or 12.8, heater can throw an error.

5. Voltage drop from too small wires, too long wire, or bad connections!! Most common error I see thrown. The supplied power cable is long and juuuust ok for 12v and 12A if no other losses. But if you use a crappy cigarette lighter plug on it, you can get errors due to voltage drop/loss from long small wire and poor connection. The best practice is cut the wire to minimum length needed. If long power supply needed, replace wire with larger gauge. Hard wire it to a DC fuse block with good connection, or use xt60 or Anderson plugs that are both good for 15A and don't lose voltage. The 5521 dc barrel plugs many power stations use for output can drop voltage too much during its 10-12A, 120 to 140W, startup cycle. Same with the cigarette lighter outputs, often can't flow the 120w startup power without voltage drop that throws an error. You NEED A 15A DC Output or it is likely to fail! Some folks with 10A max outputs have successfully used an AC to DC charger to get good 12.8 volts.

6. These are intended to be installed INSIDE the heated area, and are safe, proven by a million trucks using them. Recirculating and reheating interior air vs cold outside air, is the correct way.

There are hundreds of vids on diesel heaters out there, but yet these mistakes are made again and again, even by my favorite overlander youtubers...
I'm a bit late to the party but I have a question regarding point #4 Input Voltage. If I'm running input power off my Lithium power bank that is putting out over 13 v, will I get the error code you speak of? Do I need some kind of regulator wired in line of the power feed to the heater to get it down to 12 v? It sounds like you know a lot about the various nuances of these heaters so I just wanted to clarify since I'm thinking of using a CDH in my next rig. Thanks!

Dave in AZ

I'm a bit late to the party but I have a question regarding point #4 Input Voltage. If I'm running input power off my Lithium power bank that is putting out over 13 v, will I get the error code you speak of? Do I need some kind of regulator wired in line of the power feed to the heater to get it down to 12 v? It sounds like you know a lot about the various nuances of these heaters so I just wanted to clarify since I'm thinking of using a CDH in my next rig. Thanks!
Nope, my Pecron power station is 13.4v regulated. Perfect for heater. As long as voltage doesn't get LOW.

Mules

I'm still thinking about mounting the spare on the back of the Gladiator. This RiGd mount is nice.

Antwon412

I'm still thinking about mounting the spare on the back of the Gladiator. This RiGd mount is nice.

For the price of that, you could just get a proper rear bumper with a swing out.
I was just watching the video of it. If it was 500 bucks it’d be a great deal. At $1500. It seems way overpriced for what it is.

Mules

For the price of that, you could just get a proper rear bumper with a swing out.
I was just watching the video of it. If it was 500 bucks it’d be a great deal. At $1500. It seems way overpriced for what it is.
Yea, it's pricey. I thought it was expensive also, until I started looking at tires mounted on bumpers. Wrangler bumpers are a lot cheaper. This setup from JCR starting with a rear bumper and double swing outs is around $4,000. I love the double Jerry Can mount as I often carry Gas, Diesel, and Water.

Screen Shot 2024-02-18 at 5.53.50 AM.png

Let me know if someone finds a reasonable price for a swing out tire mount. I'd like to use a full size spare tire, but my 38" tire won't fit under the Gladiator.

Antwon412

Yea, it's pricey. I thought it was expensive also, until I started looking at tires mounted on bumpers. Wrangler bumpers are a lot cheaper. This setup from JCR starting with a rear bumper and double swing outs is around $4,000. I love the double Jerry Can mount as I often carry Gas, Diesel, and Water.

View attachment 820373

Let me know if someone finds a reasonable price for a swing out tire mount. I'd like to use a full size spare tire, but my 38" tire won't fit under the Gladiator.
I found a couple when I was looking recently. They were in the 1500 or $2500 range. Actually, there may have only been one that had an actual swing out. I’ll see if I can find it.

I forget the name of the company, but I remember that they were based out of Sparks Nevada, not too far from me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle