good theory as to how it missed the mark.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
why not just get a lower trim level?

no one needs the hundreds of bells and whistles they cram into these $70k SUVs these days
For one my Platinum was 7k less than any dealer would let a limited with a couple of options go for. So I got a better deal than many folks who were fixated on the MSRP and bought a rare Limited vs loaded Platinum😆.

You can’t find any basic trims with heavy tow pack and 2spd transfer cases. Unless it was a custom order and not picked up. The basic trim models are all part time awd and light duty rear end and 6000lb max tow capacity rated.

The reason for higher trims getting the heavy equipment is pretty simple Ford makes more $ / profit off those vs taking a loss on the basic that’s been built out with heavy tow equipment etc.

A.J.M

Explorer
This is kind of a prove for how much of a practical vehicle the trucks are. Everywhere.
Their readily availability, price and relative comfort is hard to overlook.
Even in the EU, where there is a less of truck culture compared to the US/AUS, you still can get a diesel truck with a stick shift and the modern amenities cheaper than IG.
It's great to feel sentimental about the IG and what it represents, but practically speaking, a Ford with a locker in the US and a diesel HiLux in Australia will always be the practical choice for the middle class.
Maybe the IG is not even a middle-class / working-class SUV and only just appears to carry the attributes of a working-class vehicle.

Correct.

It’s too expensive for what it is.

They kick off at £65,000 for a 2 seat utility model. Which goes to £72,500 for the trail master spec.
The station wagon is £76,000.

That’s serious money for a car that doesn’t meet the commercial requirements.

Harry’s garage has a station wagon on test.
He took it over a weigh bridge with just him in it. 2960kg…. 2960kg with only 1 adult and no luggage in the car.
That’s 540kg to play with before it’s overweight.

utherjorge

Observer
Correct.

It’s too expensive for what it is.

They kick off at £65,000 for a 2 seat utility model. Which goes to £72,500 for the trail master spec.
The station wagon is £76,000.

That’s serious money for a car that doesn’t meet the commercial requirements.

Harry’s garage has a station wagon on test.
He took it over a weigh bridge with just him in it. 2960kg…. 2960kg with only 1 adult and no luggage in the car.
Yepper. But what will all the Gren stans make of this information? It's just another failure from this deal

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type

Just curios, what is the payload for the UK trucks such as Ford, HiLux etc.?

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
There were a few Ranger Raptors in Italy during the trip I did last June. I was surprised how many we did see. However they were huge in comparison to most vehicles being used.

Yes. I saw quite a few RAM 1500 and F150 in the Nederland and 2 or 3 F250.
But the local Ford and Toyota is quite good too.

It's hard to separate emotion from practicality - I think IG is pulling on those heartstrings in a big way, IMO.

For those who can afford it or tend to be less "practical" they will totally buy it.
But most of the middle-class and working-class people will pick a vehicle that is most well suited in the local SUV/truck infostructure.

A.J.M

Explorer
Just curios, what is the payload for the UK trucks such as Ford, HiLux etc.?

The payload for a Hilux, Ranger, D max and even a new 90 and 110 hard top are all 1 tonne.
The raptor doesn’t due to its off road suspension.

To meet the U.K. requirements for commercial vehicles, they must carry 1 tonne.

No IG model can carry 1 tonne.

nickw

Adventurer
Yes. I saw quite a few RAM 1500 and F150 in the Nederland and 2 or 3 F250.
But the local Ford and Toyota is quite good too.

For those who can afford it or tend to be less "practical" they will totally buy it.
But most of the middle-class and working-class people will pick a vehicle that is most well suited in the local SUV/truck infostructure.
Where do you put the "farmer" with his deerstalker hat, welly boots, tweed pants and waxed cotton jacket that that they used in their marketing campaign :) ? Likely has a Rolex.....

Parb

Daydreaming
So, if I read this thread right the main complaint is the price and the tax code (which basically is back to price)?

I like the gren. I'm a bit less sensitive to price, I'm in the US where a fully loaded green trialmaster is $90k. Not too bad, a rr is $120k and a defender is about $60k for a barebones to $80k for a decent model and 120k for the v8. A g class is $150k. The only real car I would consider is the new land cruiser overland wich I think will land around $75k where I live.

The car drives well, I went out last week in one. It's quality looks like it's good with the usual sw gremlins.

Call me a fan but I think it's a decent vehicle.

luckyjoe

Adventurer
Yes, the true theory is, as a modern vehicle, it doesn’t fall short. Expecting it to be feature-built like a 1987 model is just bashing it.

zimm

Expedition Leader
I still think they may have been able to cut costs by using domestic drivetrain; GM LS engine, GM trans, Dana Axles, Dana Tcase and to your point - stripping it down even more.
Where thats made, it IS a domestic drivetrain... that having been said the latest LSx is a better engine in every possible parameter. power, efficiency, durability, price, repair...

zimm

Expedition Leader
So, if I read this thread right the main complaint is the price and the tax code (which basically is back to price)?

I like the gren. I'm a bit less sensitive to price, I'm in the US where a fully loaded green trialmaster is $90k. Not too bad, a rr is $120k and a defender is about $60k for a barebones to $80k for a decent model and 120k for the v8. A g class is $150k. The only real car I would consider is the new land cruiser overland wich I think will land around $75k where I live.

The car drives well, I went out last week in one. It's quality looks like it's good with the usual sw gremlins.

Call me a fan but I think it's a decent vehicle.
Lol.. I'm happy about your insensitivity. It's tax code here too BTW. I needed this effer before dec 31.

nickw

Adventurer
It is. Life's too short to drive something that doesn't inspire you. And Canadian club. It's too short for mixing swill like that in your drink.

Basically, life's too short.
Trust me I like the looks - but I'm honest about it, I gotta by stylin', but I'm not going to pretend it's gods gift to the expo world BECAUSE of it's looks....which lets be honest, is why it's getting the attention it is. Nobody looks at the engine and trans in a Supra and thinks ROW / remote tourer....nobody looks at a first year vehicle with limited supply chain and thinks ROW / remote tourer.....but this gets a pass due to it's looks and it's apparent simplicity (arguable).

zimm

Expedition Leader
Trust me I like the looks - but I'm honest about it, I gotta by stylin', but I'm not going to pretend it's gods gift to the expo world BECAUSE of it's looks....which lets be honest, is why it's getting the attention it is. Nobody looks at the engine and trans in a Supra and thinks ROW / remote tourer....nobody looks at a first year vehicle with limited supply chain and thinks ROW / remote tourer.....but this gets a pass due to it's looks and it's apparent simplicity (arguable).
I not a fan of the engine either, but no one ************** when the Merc put 212hp straight 6 car engine in the G, or the v8 from a car in the G. Do you really think if there's an internal issue with this bimmer motor, and g 500 in the middle of Uruguay, that it's going to be any easier to find a skilled mechanic, or the wait for parts to be shipped will be any shorter if you owned the G? I mean, people here see a unicat MAN for sale and they think it's cool and never criticize it for parts availability, but this thing uses BMW's most common engine architecture and I'm supposed to be afraid to drive it outside of the city limits.

There's no shortage of legitimate criticisms of what came out of the oven here, but, much of it is turning into hyperbole unless the only acceptable answer to world travel is Toyota.

nickw

Adventurer
I not a fan of the engine either, but no one ************** when the Merc put 212hp straight 6 car engine in the G, or the v8 from a car in the G. Do you really think if there's an internal issue with this bimmer motor, and g 500 in the middle of Uruguay, that it's going to be any easier to find a skilled mechanic, or the wait for parts to be shipped will be any shorter if you owned the G? I mean, people here see a unicat MAN for sale and they think it's cool and never criticize it for parts availability, but this thing uses BMW's most common engine architecture and I'm supposed to be afraid to drive it outside of the city limits.

There's no shortage of legitimate criticisms of what came out of the oven here, but, much of it is turning into hyperbole unless the only acceptable answer to world travel is Toyota.
Those engines were tested extensively by the company that designed and built them - they know the engineering / design limits and have a proven track record. It's a bit over the top to assume it WONT work, I agree, but lets be honest, they are not using the engine because it was best suited to the job....it was available at the right price, but it was never and has never been designed for how it is being used.

Do you see big mile BMW's that have been used in harsh environments like you do Mercs? Nope. I'd say it's rare to see big mile BMW's in general as they get very expensive to maintain, we've had (2), both have been reliable but little things go wrong and they are not nearly as repairable as other vehicles. The secondary market has spoken to a certain extent as well, high mile used BMW's have very very little resale outside of the specialty cars.

Many rigs as good as Toyota IMO here in NA, like any of the full size pickups - very large but relatively simply built.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater