Hello Miss FJ62. Flaco's dream.

So, the tires I am thinking of include: for 15" wheel-- 31x10.50 and 33x10.50, For a 16" wheel 265/75 and 285/75.

Looking at treadwright for the 31, 265, and 285, and BFG for the 33.
Thoughts?

chet

island Explorer
I like the 33x10.50 although the 285/75-16 are getting pretty popular and the 16" rims help to clear the brakes and tie-rod. They are more like a 33x12.50 though in width.

I like skinny. keeps rocks, mud, snow in the wheelwells rather than up the sides of the rig.

I posted most of the following on MUD, but figured I'd post here too..

When I test drove it, I noticed the truck was quite sluggish and had hard shifts after taking a while to finally shift. But, at hwy speeds, especially at 50-65 mph the truck's transmission, tranny, or torque converter shutters pretty bad. Back off or drop it into 3rd and it goes away. It seems to do fine on flat road (but not problem free), but especially occurs when starting up a hill.

Did a partial Rodney flush, did everything but waste a ton of fluid by actually flushing through the transmission, and it helped DRAMATICALLY at city speed driving, but still has the shuttering issue at hwy speeds. And what I mean by helping in the city, the truck drives and shifts much more smoothly at lower speeds and has a better indication of power.

I do not get to drive the truck much, because I work out of town and I do not trust it enough yet to let my wife drive it to work, so it gets driven only a few times per month. I wonder if driving more often would help?

Any suggestions??

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I posted most of the following on MUD, but figured I'd post here too..

When I test drove it, I noticed the truck was quite sluggish and had hard shifts after taking a while to finally shift. But, at hwy speeds, especially at 50-65 mph the truck's transmission, tranny, or torque converter shutters pretty bad. Back off or drop it into 3rd and it goes away. It seems to do fine on flat road (but not problem free), but especially occurs when starting up a hill.

Did a partial Rodney flush, did everything but waste a ton of fluid by actually flushing through the transmission, and it helped DRAMATICALLY at city speed driving, but still has the shuttering issue at hwy speeds. And what I mean by helping in the city, the truck drives and shifts much more smoothly at lower speeds and has a better indication of power.

I do not get to drive the truck much, because I work out of town and I do not trust it enough yet to let my wife drive it to work, so it gets driven only a few times per month. I wonder if driving more often would help?

Any suggestions??

That shutter was kinda wierd. I remember that before we took it out the other day, it would not shift into OD. The shutter was worrisome, but I would recommend taking it out and speeding up and slowing it down lots of times, to make it shift back and forth from 3rd to 4th. If it persists, there are two easy options:

1) Replace torque converter.

2) Demo the truck then use it for target practice. :coffeedrink:

That shutter was kinda wierd. I remember that before we took it out the other day, it would not shift into OD. The shutter was worrisome, but I would recommend taking it out and speeding up and slowing it down lots of times, to make it shift back and forth from 3rd to 4th. If it persists, there are two easy options:

1) Replace torque converter.

2) Demo the truck then use it for target practice. :coffeedrink:

or

3) Remove body from Mr. Leary's FJ80 and spoon on the 62 body over the 80 chassis.

Hmm. Sounds like a winner to me.

I found two lower mileage A440F transmissions from a reputable Mud member who says they shifted well, before removed from the trucks ( I think he swapped in a H55F into his/someone else's truck.)

This will spark the real beginning of the build of this truck. I've been searching for a set of 33x10.50 muds to throw on the truck too... so keep your eyes out for me!

I'm so compulsive.... but lucky too, I guess. :)

P280910_1036_01.jpg

TJM bumper from a 91 Cruiser. If it doesn't fit and I cant make brackets for it, I'm sure Mr. Leary will want it.
Yeah, those are Hella Rallye 2000s

P280910_1235_01.jpg

New-ish mud terrains for the 4Runner- Now I just need to buy two more new ones.:sombrero: Jeeze I'm cheap. Look like maybe 80-90% tread left.

I didnt realize the Crooza was that much wider than the 4runner...
63321_572317045511_62002887_32685270_3519420_n.jpg

Last edited:

bomar

Adventurer
Sorry I have not read the whole tread but have you done a fluid exchange on the transmission yet?

I had the same issue in a 91 fj80 that would not shift into od and had the bg fluid exchange and it fixed it completely. Just a $130 option v a transmission.

I have a transmission with less than 25k miles in my truck that will be for sale sometime this year. I am looking to go to a 4sp and a toybox.

Z Crooza passed safety and emissions inspection today with flying colors. BUT, when they went to drive it off the dyno, the truck wouldnt start. I've had this issue a couple of times now. I'm 99% sure its the neutral safety switch, and I am wondering if I can just permanently bypass/jump it? Do it all the time on all of my motorcycles... albeit they are not automatic transmissions.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
So, the tires I am thinking of include: for 15" wheel-- 31x10.50 and 33x10.50, For a 16" wheel 265/75 and 285/75.

Looking at treadwright for the 31, 265, and 285, and BFG for the 33.
Thoughts?

I have the TW 235/85/16 MTs on my 80 series and have been very happy with them.

I've had them to a jaguar preserve in northen mx, along the coast in Baja down to Gonzaga, in 5' deep snow in Flagstaff last winter, and thousands of miles worth of blacktop....all this year.

I'd recommend them again.

11 plys are plenty strong, and really, with a leaf sprung vehicle, the tire stiffness will be the last thing that affects the ride.

Wear has been good, and traction has been too. Granted, they are a bit louder than street tires, but you give and take.

I think you'd be fine with the 31s, or the 265s, or even the 235s as they are a common heavy truck tire. You may not get the brand and tread you want, but if you need a spare, it will most likely be available.

Ferg,

I hear so many great things about the treadwrights. I wish they had more selections for 15" wheels. I've got the stock FJ62 wheels and the Marty McFly wheels (8x15). I'm not likely to drive the truck in any hardcore wheeling situations, I'm almost thinking about finding some used 33x12.50s to run.

My big question and consideration now is whether I want to do an SOA or OME type lift. I am seriously leaning SOA. My wife on the other hand is fine with stock height, maybe even OME lift... her justification--- our daughter is able to climb in the truck by herself. Even in the 4Runner, she cannot. I said she can grow into it.:coffeedrink:

Good news!
After the inspection today, I ran it on the hwy for a few miles. The shuddering issue that I was having earlier was for once, minimal. Cool. Came home checked the ATF level, looked a little low. Added about a half quart and got it about halfway between right and where it was. OK. Drove some more. Each time it shuddered, I'd pull over and add about 1/8 quart to it until it went away! So, low fluids! This time!

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Good news!
After the inspection today, I ran it on the hwy for a few miles. The shuddering issue that I was having earlier was for once, minimal. Cool. Came home checked the ATF level, looked a little low. Added about a half quart and got it about halfway between right and where it was. OK. Drove some more. Each time it shuddered, I'd pull over and add about 1/8 quart to it until it went away! So, low fluids! This time!

Check your transfer case level. I wonder if it is over full and red.

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad