How would you outfit this custom LJ?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I will countinue to wish for a Camper Trailer top made from your custom molds, on a Aqualu custom aluminum body, thanks for the hope that the seed has been planted.....

I'm pretty sure the people at the hardtop company know the people at Aqualu, so who knows, anything is possible... and Aqualu could easily make a special tub the right length for the Safari Cab, all they would need to know is the specific length required.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Here are some photos of the mostly completely assembled trailer.

Today I'll be replacing the front jack/wheel with one that won't interfere with the front gate or the rear door of the Jeep.

TrailerAssembly1.jpg

TrailerAssembly2.jpg

And a couple of photos showing the interior, it's pretty roomy:

TrailerAssembly5.jpg

TrailerAssembly6.jpg

It's pretty much down to the details now. The biggest things on the list:

- I've got to make some braces for the tailgate jambs. I've left the stubs of the LJ inner fenders in the tub temporarily so I can reference the dimensions when I make the braces - I want the braces to support the hinges and striker for swinging barn doors in the camper configuration.

- I've got a few random holes here and there in the tub to patch (like the YJ fuel filler hole)

- I've got to make tub mounts in the center of the frame

- Wiring

- and a few other details, but all pretty small tasks.

And paint of course. The hardest part of this whole project will be deciding which color to paint it :(

Tomorrow I'll pull it out of the garage and get some photos of the LJ Safari and the trailer hitched up together.

bob91yj

Resident **************
That's quite possibly the coolest late model Jeep set up I've ever seen. Congrats on all of your builds. The attention to detail is impressive.

I love the hardtop, Just enough retro to be cool while still being very functional. I like the roll up sides idea for my use.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've been thinking maybe I won't do red or black on the trailer - maybe I'll do something completely different. If I had finished the Gaucho project instead of selling it, I was planning to paint it chrome yellow, maybe I'll resurrect that color for the trailer:

ChromeYellow.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
That's quite possibly the coolest late model Jeep set up I've ever seen. Congrats on all of your builds. The attention to detail is impressive.

I love the hardtop, Just enough retro to be cool while still being very functional. I like the roll up sides idea for my use.

Thanks!

Hopefully I'll have the prototype roll-up sides sewn up next week, I'll post photos when they're done.

pajeepman

Adventurer
Jeff,
I first "met" you at CJ8.com. I just joined this forum and saw this project. WOW! If the top is as nice as the Retro (and I know it will be). AMAZING. Also just saw your 247 pages and counting at Jeepforum, someday(s) maybe I can read them all. I have seen Jeff's work on the Retro in person(at the Jeff Daniels show) and it's top notch. I am curious who the company you are talking to is.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jeff,
I first "met" you at CJ8.com. I just joined this forum and saw this project. WOW! If the top is as nice as the Retro (and I know it will be). AMAZING. Also just saw your 247 pages and counting at Jeepforum, someday(s) maybe I can read them all. I have seen Jeff's work on the Retro in person(at the Jeff Daniels show) and it's top notch. I am curious who the company you are talking to is.

Thanks, that's very nice of you to say! :)

About the company - it's much further along than just "talking to"... they'll be making an announcement about the Safari Cab this Friday afternoon (2/25)...

Jeff

jscherb

Expedition Leader
As of this morning, the metal fabrication phase of the trailer project is complete. Next up is the wiring, followed by paint prep and paint.

TrailerFabDone.jpg

pajeepman

Adventurer
Thanks, that's very nice of you to say! :)

About the company - it's much further along than just "talking to"... they'll be making an announcement about the Safari Cab this Friday afternoon (2/25)...

Jeff

So what company is it? I did a google search and came up with nothing.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
So what company is it? I did a google search and came up with nothing.

They should be making the announcement within the next 30 minutes, but due to the rules of this forum, I probably am not allowed to talk about it. It'll be announced on another forum very shortly...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach