gr8top-sc1.jpg

gr8top-sc2.jpg

gr8top-sc3.jpg

gr8top-sc4.jpg

gr8top-sc5.jpg

gr8top-sc6.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Back to the trailer project for a moment: to protect cargo in the trailer from the elements, and also to keep the elements out of the trailer when it's not being used, I've added a tonneau cover:

TrailerTonneau1.jpg

I met one of the major manufacturers of pickup tonneaus at the SEMA show in Las Vegas last fall, and got them interested in making tonneaus for Jeeps with half cabs. In the process of making prototype half cab tonneaus, I had them make me this one for the trailer project.

TrailerTonneau2.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The roll-up side curtains for the hard bikini configuration are pretty much complete, I just have a few minor adjustments to do to the retainer hardware and there are some very small changes I want to do to the canvas pattern, but I'd say it's 98% there (the tailgate bar needs a bit of change to smooth out the back panel, for example). Here's some photos.

PrototypeSideCurtain10.jpg

PrototypeSideCurtain11.jpg

PrototypeSideCurtain12.jpg

PrototypeSideCurtain6.jpg

PrototypeSideCurtain8.jpg

They're really easy to zip and unzip, roll up and down, because all of the zippers are straight.

The best thing might be the noise level, they're as quiet as many hardtops. This is partly due to having the hard roof panel with a headliner, but also due to the tightness and smoothness of the panels themselves.

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
Looking excellent Jeff! This makes me anxious to get mine going.

Question: are you using the OEM plastic strip to hold the bottom of the panels in the belt rail at the tub, or some other method?

Also, how are you keeping the forward edge of the side panels in the door surround without tension from the panel when it is rolled up?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Looking excellent Jeff! This makes me anxious to get mine going.

Question: are you using the OEM plastic strip to hold the bottom of the panels in the belt rail at the tub, or some other method?
Yes, there's a plastic strip on the bottom of the panels just like the on the OEM soft top.

Also, how are you keeping the forward edge of the side panels in the door surround without tension from the panel when it is rolled up?
I'm not sure I understand the question, but I'll explain how the front of the side curtains work, maybe that will answer it.

There's a "zipper strip" attached to the back of the door surround. That's got a zipper and a velcro flap on it. The side curtain, when rolled down, is zipped along its front edge to that zipper strip, and then the velcro flap seals over the zipper joint.

When the side curtains are rolled up, that zipper strip is still attached to the back of the door surround. To keep the zipper strip from flapping in the breeze when the sides are rolled up (or removed), the zipper strip is secured to the vertical part of the roll bar with two velcro straps.

Did that answer the question?

BTW there's a similar zipper strip running under the drip rail, which the side panels attach to. By undoing that zipper, the entire side panel can be removed, if you'd prefer that to rolling it up.

When the side panel is removed, it can be rolled up and stored above the side bars of the roll bar (so in almost the same place as they are in the rolled up photo I posted, except they'd be inside the roof sitting on top of the roll bar). The same snap straps that hold the side curtain in its rolled up position also serve to secure the removed/rolled up side curtain above the roll bar.
Jeff

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
I asked before realizing you are not using the OEM door surround. Sorry. As you know the stock side windows have a hard plastic strip that slips into a curved channel in the door surround. I will be using the OEM surrounds for my custom top, so I will have to find a way to attach that section of the side window to the surround more permanently.

I really like the way the side window wraps around the corner and connects to the rear window. Exactly as I had imagined doing it on mine.

If you have time, post some detailed pictures of the interfaces between the windows and the sides/tops/corners.

Thanks Jeff.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I really like the way the side window wraps around the corner and connects to the rear window. Exactly as I had imagined doing it on mine.
Thanks, it worked out really well. Because of that corner, and the straight zippers, it's so much easier to open these sides than it is to open up the factory soft top.

If you have time, post some detailed pictures of the interfaces between the windows and the sides/tops/corners.
I will post more pictures, but probably not the detail photos you'd be looking for. I doubt the company would want me to give away too many design details before they could even release a product. ;)

bob91yj

Resident **************
Any projected pricing on the soft sided version? I've noticed a couple of minor tears in my factory soft top, it's going to need replacing soon. I'm thinking I could talk myself right in to of these. <self... you need this top>

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
I will post more pictures, but probably not the detail photos you'd be looking for. I doubt the company would want me to give away too many design details before they could even release a product. ;)

:) Honestly, that had not even occurred to me. I understand. I am sure I will figure it out with my canvas maker just as you have. I already have a couple of ideas.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Any projected pricing on the soft sided version? I've noticed a couple of minor tears in my factory soft top, it's going to need replacing soon. I'm thinking I could talk myself right in to of these. <self... you need this top>

At this point, the company hasn't made any pricing decisions or decisions about which top versions or options to bring to market that I know of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk