Howski's Defender 90 Build Thread

LR Max

Local Oaf
Thanks for all of the info! Once I get all the BS from my last misadventure sorted, I definitely want to do this!

Also did you put sound proofing under the floormat portions under the pedals or just the mats?

Sorry for so many questions. Just trying to make my truck a little bit better!

Howski

Got the 90 off pavement this weekend for the first time in a long time at a local off road park. I'm still learning this the in-and-outs of the Defender but got some great experience in more difficult and technical terrain. It is such a different truck than my old Disco with no power steering, lockers or traction control. Makes for a real workout in this heat/humidity, especially wrestling the wheel in the rocks, but it is a hell of a lot of fun. This park is really for larger trucks/buggies so I managed to get hung up on the axles in some deep ruts also on some rocks. Aside from that it did great. It certainly got a lot of strange looks, comments and questions in east Alabama.

View attachment 167895

Not having any differential or sill protection is starting to worry me. There were a few times from this trip where things could have ended badly but I was lucky to escape unscathed. These diff guards and sliders are a top priority.

Howski

Sure did. Not much intermediate stuff but it was nice to get out on the trails. It was pretty crowded when we got there so we just watched some rock crawlers and scoped out the park. It cleared out after lunchtime and thats when we got the most riding in. Drove up to Auburn to grab some Moe's BBQ afterwords. Just overall a good day

RMEDIVER

Sweet 90 man!

I had the same weird issue with my clutch, the nut on the pedal adjustment had backed off (under a cover near brake booster)

Like the stereo install!

I am still running a 2.5T but have just scraped the money together for a 200TDI and can not wait to get it installed!

I am also going to order a soft top and hoops for it, on the look out for a tailgate and some half doors if you see any around.

How do you like the OME, I was hoping to do that and poly bushings later in the year.

Jeff

Howski

The OME suspension is fine. A little rough when unloaded or light on fuel but no complaints aside from that. Wish I would have gone with the slightly heavier front springs because of the diesel. The handling is fine but will use 10mm trim packers to resolve the nose droop once a winch and bumper are added.

I haven't had much time to work on it lately due to a recent move and starting a new job. I'm in a location a little better situated for me to get out and explore, which I'm looking forward to. A coworker (Jeep guy) said he'd show me some trails around the area. I'm selling my second vehicle since I no longer have to travel a lot for work. I'm a little undecided whether I should put money into the 90 (media blast & paint, address rust issues, headliner) or towards the purchase a second vehicle

Last edited:

timmy!!!!!!!

Explorer
The OME suspension is fine. A little rough when unloaded or light on fuel but no complaints aside from that. Wish I would have gone with the slightly heavier front springs because of the diesel. The handling is fine but will use 10mm trim packers to resolve the nose droop once a winch and bumper are added.

I haven't had much time to work on it lately due to a recent move and starting a new job. I'm in a location a little better situated for me to get out and explore, which I'm looking forward to. A coworker (Jeep guy) said he'd show me some trails around the area. I'm selling my second vehicle since I no longer have to travel a lot for work. I'm a little undecided whether I should put money into the 90 (media blast & paint, address rust issues, headliner) or towards the purchase a second vehicle

Second vehicle...

Howski

It has been awhile since I have updated this thread and I've got quite a few things going on. I found out a few local spots to ride, although nothing challenging at all. I did manage to get to Prentice Cooper WMA which is a fun day trip from Rome. Great scenery up there and a few tricky little areas on the trail. Of course both my girlfriend and I managed not to take any pictures.

I've also made some purchases just in time for the upcoming Southern Appalachian Expedition. These included diff guards, reverse/work lamp, tire deflators and a rear axle out of a 98' Disco. The new axle will give me disc brakes and 24 spline axles, which will be convenient for installation of a rear locker in the future. Rusty 30 year old bolts created more more work than I anticipated. By now I should know better on a 30 year old Rover.
1.jpg
Anyhow, got the majority of work wrapped up on Saturday and the axle back under the 90. Everything is back together with the exception of the upper a arm. I'm waiting on a new upper ball joint (the one on the new axle needed replacing) to get everything buttoned up later this week. New tie rod ends should be here tomorrow which will allow me to get my Rovertym HD steering setup on sometime this week. The Terrafirma wrap around differential guard has been installed it on the rear axle. I'll have the front RTE diff guard welded on next week, all in time for a trip with SOLAROS later this month.

I've had a few minor things to take care of as well. I replaced the turn signal, brake and marker lenses which were faded and cracked. My old reverse light was rusted out internally so a work lamp was wired to be the new reverse light. It will also provide much needed light when setting up camp. I was never a big fan of the color-matched fender flares so I removed and painted them black. I'm pleased with how everything turned out and it makes the 90 look a little better.

Really glad this phase of work has been (nearly) completed and am looking forward to some fun trips over the next two months. After those trips I plan on addressing door rust, installing a headliner, having the exhaust fully welded with a new tip and touching up the interior some.

Last edited:

Howski

I was able to get the rear axle swap completely wrapped up but still don't have the 90 back together. I didn't realize until I dug into things that I'd need a non-ball joint style pitman arm for my RTE drag link. I've been able to remove the nut on the pitman arm but the arm itself is stubborn as can be. I'm going to put a little heat on it today with the hopes that helps loosen it up. I also tried to start the truck, to create a little more room to work, and it would not start. I jumped it and let it charge for about 15 minutes and with no luck. The battery is pretty rough looking so I'm hoping (and fairly certain) the battery is the issue. I'll be getting it tested and will be buying a replacement this afternoon. I plan on replacing with a Diehard Platinum P4. Fingers crossed I can have all this and my diff guard welded on by the weekend

Edit: Battery was tested and it was bad. The Platinum P4 replacement was on sale for $50 off so not a bad deal

Last edited:

Howski

I've finally got the 90 back up and running. The disc brakes are really night and day compared to the old drums. I'd really suggest this upgrade for anyone with drums currently. Got my front diff guard welded on yesterday so I am all good to go for SAE this Friday. Really looking forward to visiting Windrock for the first time. Hopefully I'll return with more pictures than I normally do.

Over the past few months the paint on my hood, on the roof and around the windshield has begun to peel. The color underneath the top layer is yellow, making this look quite awful. A repaint, along with fixing rust in the doors, has moved up my list. I'm not 100% decided on a color but I'm leaning towards Portofino red. I hope to have a repaint, new tires and a tire carrier completed by the end of spring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven