If Toyota made a DIESEL Tacoma for the US, would you?.....

Would you buy one?

• Yes, $35,500 for a new Taco DC Dsl 6 spd 4x4....I'M IN!

Votes: 91 78.4%
  • No, I wouldn't buy a new diesel Tacoma

Votes: 25 21.6%

• Total voters

sylgeist

Observer
I researched this a while back. The mpg ratings for Europe do not transfer across nearly as impressive as they appear. Most are imperial gallons and the diesel fuel BTU per pound is not the same.

They are still pretty awesome, but not life changing!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I enjoy both a 2008 DCLB 4.0 V6 and a 2006 ACLB with the 1KD-FTV. I now drive the 1KD-FTV almost exclusively running Michelin Latitude Tour's, aluminum wheels from the 2008, P245/75. The 2008 DCLB runs around 20mpg when the 100lbs (weighed) of rear seats are out. The 2006 runs over 30 mpg in mixed driving, but of course, it is a PreRunner.

I'm assuming a 1KD-FTV is a diesel? In which case I'm assuming it's a conversion you did?

So since the object (presumably) of achieving better MPG is to save money, I have to ask (a) how much did it cost to convert your 2006 and (b) how much gas could you have purchased with that money? ;)

2010nctaco

^^^^ The poster above you lives in Brazil I think. so a diesel may be available there.^^^^^

Also first post:wings:

As for the question, yes I would love to have a diesel Tacoma, or the Diesel Ranger for that matter. If I could have a small truck that gets 30 mpg and be able to tow a small boat or a camper I would go out tomorrow and buy it. I recently had a 2010 double cab 4x4 sport that I got tired of having terrible mileage with and traded i for a vw jetta for my wife(I only like 1 car payment at a time). I now have a cheap 88 4runner when i need to get off road. What a lot of people don't understand is that in a truck it really doesn't matter how much horsepower you have, its all about the torque.

njtacoma

Explorer
I voted no to this and the suburban question.

This one is more tempting to me, but a new colorado with a diesel might be just as tempting (after a few years to prove their reliability, sorry it is a GM). I need the mileage to be great if it is going to tempt me. The VW has potential if it really gets over 30 mpg, otherwise I'm not sure the penalty for the cost of diesel fuel makes it make sense.

These are just my musings, I'm not in the mood to fire up a spreadsheet to determine what number actually makes financial sense.

DaJudge

Explorer
NO!

At current prices in my area $35000.00 would buy me over 10000 gallons of gas! I can go a long ways in my paid for Cherokee on that much gas!

darien

Observer
I would not buy it. The main selling points of a diesel - longevity, durability, economy - are becoming negated by ever better gas engine performance. This coupled with much higher purchase price and much higher fuel costs make it a non-starter for me. I was eagerly awaiting a diesel Wrangler Unlimited, but once I crunched the numbers I couldn't make it make sense. I'm sure I'd come to the same conclusion on a Tacoma or Tundra. If we were having this conversation in 1990 - yes, definitely worth it - in SPADES. Not today.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I would not buy it. The main selling points of a diesel - longevity, durability, economy - are becoming negated by ever better gas engine performance. This coupled with much higher purchase price and much higher fuel costs make it a non-starter for me. I was eagerly awaiting a diesel Wrangler Unlimited, but once I crunched the numbers I couldn't make it make sense. I'm sure I'd come to the same conclusion on a Tacoma or Tundra. If we were having this conversation in 1990 - yes, definitely worth it - in SPADES. Not today.

I have to agree with this. We need to face up to the reality that the things that make a "traditional" diesel engine attractive - (1) simple design, (2) ability to use cheap, less refined fuel, and (3) good fuel economy - simply don't apply to modern diesels. Modern diesels are every bit as complicated as modern gas engines, which negates point no. 1, they require expensive, highly refined low-sulphur diesel (or, if the engines don't, the EPA does, which amounts to the same thing for most of us) which negates point no. 2, and while the complexity of modern diesels has eaten into their MPG figures, correspondingly gasoline engines have gotten more powerful and more efficient, which negates point no. 3.

The final point in favor of diesels has been that in many undeveloped parts of the world, diesel is more common than gasoline. I don't know whether this is true anymore but even if it is, for 99% of the people on this board, that's a non-issue as we will probably never be traveling in those parts of the world in our own vehicles anyway, and for that matter, isn't gasoline becoming more common in developing countries? The last developing country I was in was Costa Rica in 2011 and although there were diesel vehicles everywhere, every station that sold diesel also sold gasoline.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
I'm with the naysayers on this one. I'm not spending full price on a new truck, period. We all know that no new automobile is an 'investment', with the way they devalue with miles and years. And if I'm gonna take it out and use it then I'd much rather wait, buy a 2-3yr old model with light use and a few miles like I did with my FJC, for probably 70% of the new/no miles price. I think of it as maximizing my dollar.
And I really raise an eyebrow at the 35-36MPG projections on those new diesel trucks. I'd think that 26/28/even 29MPG HWY in the real world is much more likely and (quite frankly) pretty damn good when I only average 18MPG in my combined daily driving.

J

JWP58

buy a 2-3yr old model with light use and a few miles like I did with my FJC, for probably 70% of the new/no miles price. .

70%?????? I need to know what sucker you bought your FJ from, since all the used Toyotas (tundra, Tacoma, FJ) are selling for "near new" prices.

Kaisen

Explorer
70%?????? I need to know what sucker you bought your FJ from, since all the used Toyotas (tundra, Tacoma, FJ) are selling for "near new" prices.

You can buy 2010 FJ Cruisers for $23-26K with normal equipment/miles/condition all day long. New, they sticker for about $36K. That's 70%, give or take.
FJ Cruisers and Tundras don't hold their value any better than any other competitor.

Here's an example (2010 w/ 30K miles $23K):
Autotrader 2010 FJ Cruiser 30K miles $23,390 one owner, clean Carfax

Kaisen

Explorer
Perception doesn't matter when there are concrete numbers.

4Runners and Tacomas have much higher resale values (percentage of original transaction prices) than Tundras and FJ Cruisers.

Note that I was specific in my post. Numbers don't lie. Is a three year old FJ Cruiser still selling for "near new" prices?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat