I'm back in a Jeep, a JKU

Ratman1979

Observer
Looks great. The one Front Runner makes uses the roof bolts to secure it as well. I bought their version and ditched it after about a week. It always rattled and seemed to be more in the way than useful for my needs.

SandCuda

Hilldweller.....Jumpin back to your original post. How do you like the Cooper ST-Maxx 255/80R/17? I have a stock 2014 JKU Sport that will be doing a 7 week trip from NJ, to Colorado, Utah, Arizona, and California with 1,000's of paved miles and 100's of off road miles such as the White Rim Trail, the Alpine Loop and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. I'm concerned about road noise, suspension or body rubbing and highway handling. Very interested in highway handling as I will be towing a teardrop trailer. I'm sure they do well off road. My jeep currently has the stock Goodyear SRA's and I'm concerned about off road performance of this tire so Please share you opinion and experiences. THANKS!!!!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Hilldweller.....Jumpin back to your original post. How do you like the Cooper ST-Maxx 255/80R/17? I have a stock 2014 JKU Sport that will be doing a 7 week trip from NJ, to Colorado, Utah, Arizona, and California with 1,000's of paved miles and 100's of off road miles such as the White Rim Trail, the Alpine Loop and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. I'm concerned about road noise, suspension or body rubbing and highway handling. Very interested in highway handling as I will be towing a teardrop trailer. I'm sure they do well off road. My jeep currently has the stock Goodyear SRA's and I'm concerned about off road performance of this tire so Please share you opinion and experiences. THANKS!!!!

They're fantastic ---- have to say they're the best overall tire I've ever used.
The size is just right for a 3.6L with manual trans and 3.73 gears. 4.10 would be better for towing but 95% of my driving is without the trailer...
They're not loud, don't hydroplane, have plenty of tough sidewall.

The Goodyears are a recipe for trail-fail; good idea to get rid of them. I've seen them get shredded on minor little rock outcroppings.

Did you mention teardropping? We'll be heading north with ours in a couple of weeks...

116_zpse5f98fe0.jpg

SandCuda

Thanks...I'm running the automatic 3.6L with 3.73 gears and full tow package. I'm hoping that the jeep will pull the teardrop with little trouble. Trailer is less than 1,500 pounds. Any trouble with the stock spare tire mount with the larger diameter tire?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Thanks...I'm running the automatic 3.6L with 3.73 gears and full tow package. I'm hoping that the jeep will pull the teardrop with little trouble. Trailer is less than 1,500 pounds. Any trouble with the stock spare tire mount with the larger diameter tire?
The spare fits perfectly. Same width as stock and not big enough around to hit anything. I do have a lunette/pintle though.
If your auto doesn't like the diameter, get a Procal or Superchip and change the shiftpoints. Your trailer is lighter than ours.

Here's a spare tire picture:

019_zps905e5fb6.jpg

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
What wiring harness would you recommend for the JW Speaker 6145 fog lights? I'll be using the 6150's in an Exp1 bumper for my Tundra. Here's what I found but might be a little overkill for an LED setup. Many thanks.

LightFORCE Driving Light Wiring Harness
The 6145s are a limited fit light ---- as for a harness, that's specific to each vehicle too. If you're talking about an install on a Jeep Jk, the best solution is a full harness, custom built, with caps and resistors all the way around. No need for heavy wire but a good insulator is warranted.
I might eventually call Ray at rallylights.com and spring for a harness for everything.

Every vehicle is going to deliver power their own way. The Jeep uses pulsewidth modulation and that drops the voltage below the LED's nominal requirement for a fraction of a second during the duty cycle. Most vehicles these days use PWM somewhere and LEDs are going to respond to it until they build an LED that works from 4v to at least 15v.

A Lightfarce harness? I don't know this product so I can't tell you anything about it. But their other products have dubious merits to say the least so I'd shy away from anything personally....

Did you lift the jeep to fit the bigger tires?

On the fence about a small lift for my jeep.

33 is my max height for tires

Thanks

Jim
No lift but I have the tow package.
Jeep has 4 full sets of springs for the JK; these are the stiffest.
I bought an offset adapter for the lunette ring on the trailer --- if it doesn't line up next time out, I might go with the Synergy 1" spring kit.

The 255/80-17 tires fit perfectly on the stock JK wheels. No rub anywhere doing anything.
It's not a Rubicon, so there's no swaybar disco though.

I'm really thinking of getting the lifetime warranty on this Jeep and driving it 'til the wheels fall off. I'm not all that interested (right now) in building a Troll Hunter vehicle.
I'm enjoying the good ride and great fuel economy...

SandCuda

If you compare road noise to a typical AT tire like Firestone Destination A/T or Cooper Discoverer A/T how much louder are the ST Maxx tires. Use a scale of 1-5 with 5 being a typical mud tire.
THANKS

Finatic Angler

Adventurer
Jim
No lift but I have the tow package.
Jeep has 4 full sets of springs for the JK; these are the stiffest.
I bought an offset adapter for the lunette ring on the trailer --- if it doesn't line up next time out, I might go with the Synergy 1" spring kit.

The 255/80-17 tires fit perfectly on the stock JK wheels. No rub anywhere doing anything.
It's not a Rubicon, so there's no swaybar disco though.

I'm really thinking of getting the lifetime warranty on this Jeep and driving it 'til the wheels fall off. I'm not all that interested (right now) in building a Troll Hunter vehicle.

Ok. I have the rubicon and tow package. Didn't think about the swaybar disconnect.

For lift I am thinking ARE as it seems it gives a stock or better than stock ride.

Like you I am really digging the MPG!

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I used the teraflex leveling on my JKU. works great, keeps stock ride and the jeep sits perfect for 285 tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal