InssssssssVANity!!!!!!!......or ****** did I just fly to Maine to by a Sprinter!

Cole

Expedition Leader
15739412720_7d10317212_b.jpg

Cole

Expedition Leader
Well, today the fan didn't seem to want to go up, kept cycling at the half way point like a gear is broken. So maybe not worth the money after all.

Cole

Expedition Leader
I know I haven't posted on this in awhile. Haven't done much to the Sprinter lately. Been fighting the stupid Espar coolant heater. Mine died and the estimate I've gotten to repair it is over $600!!!

Picked up a used one off eBay, that doesn't quite work right in my van since apparently the heater is different if you have the 7 day timer. Then, it failed too!! So I've had a 100% failure rate of these stupid heaters!

Anyway, figured I'd at least post a picture from after today's hike to express just how useful this van is!

16231554985_71881a3a22_b_d.jpg

Cole

Expedition Leader
Today is another installment in the Espar saga. Hopefully the last.

For those that don't know. The diesel Sprinter engine makes almost no heat of its own at an idle. Running down the road it heats up fine. But even mild around town work can cause the engine to run cool and not heat the cabin well.

This is why the Sprinter can be optioned with a diesel fired coolant "heat booster" that heats the engine coolant to get it up to temperature faster and keep it there.

There is also a "7 day timer" option that allows you to run the diesel coolant heater without the engine running. It circulates the coolant though the engine and the heater core. This way it preheats the engine for easier starts in cold weather and heats and defrosts the cabin. The timer can be programmed to fire the furnace up to 7 days later and run it for 2 hours. Or you can turn it on automatically.

My Sprinter came with the 7 day timer option. It's kind of rare.

My original Espar diesel coolant heater didn't work when I got the van. I tore it down and got it to work. Worked great all last winter but failed at the start of this winter. This is not a good thing when I've got my 2 year old daughter and my wife with me in the van all the time. Not a big deal when driving, but we are often out doing other things where keeping the van warm could be critical. This was especially bad in the -20* temps we had here recently.

After trying unsuccessfully to fix the original Espar agian I cam Pe to the conclusion it has a bad control board. So I bought another Espar one on eBay. Only to find out that the 7 day timer Espars are different than those without. The one I bought was for one without the timer so it wouldn't work right on my van. Worked with the engine running but wouldn't preheat or run with the van off.

I could have rewired the Sprinter without the timer but figured I'd just sell this one and the first one and search for the proper replacement.

Finally found a brand new one equipped for my 7 day timer. Took all of 15 min to install it today.( which means I've done this too much). I also wired mine today to bypass the 2 hour limit.

Now it works on the timer like it should and can be used to keep the van warm when parked without the engine running. Next step is to wire it to a thermostat and a house battery to keep the van warm at night without thinking about it.

Here is the new one. I've got 2 used ones for sale! One works, one needs work or can be used for parts.

16268831906_d68741dc73_b_d.jpg

oPAULo

Jack of all terrain
So the heater heats and circulates the coolant in the van and you have to run the vans blower to heat the cabin?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven