is the 1st gen tundra one of the best platforms

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
So 'what did you do to your Gen 1 Tundra today?'

I cleaned my MAF.

And feel like I got another 30hp or something! Wow - one side of it was clearly filthy compared to the 'after' look of it.

Just yanked the sensor out of the intake post filter and blasted it with canned MAF cleaner.

Oh and oil change, added new used topper, 160w flexible panel, Group 29 deep cycle and charge controller - fridge is now plug 'n play

Fren

Are there any larger aftermarket fuel tanks available for first gens? Transfer Flow has an awesome 46 gal for second gen and up...anyone out there know of better options?

pside

What brake recommendations does the group have? I have been sticking to stock pads and they seem to last a reasonable amount of time. I saw some posts about the EBC extra duty pads some are running on Tacoma’s and 4runners who tow. I don’t tow but have a heavier truck and was curious of others experience with different brake options.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Are there any larger aftermarket fuel tanks available for first gens? Transfer Flow has an awesome 46 gal for second gen and up...anyone out there know of better options?

Honestly it doesn’t help that much for the cost.

1st gen tundra is 26 gallon and I can safely use 20-22 gallons before gassing up.

3rd gen tundra has the larger 38 gallons. I can safely use 28-30 gallons.

The tanks are usually longer for more fuel capacity but that also means a inch of fuel in the tank is not safely useable imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Wow - 1st gen is 26 gallons? Really? I think my light comes on at about 20 gallons below full, don't think I've ever put 21+ in it.

Super happy with the truck past couple weeks - lots of 4-lo crawling in national forest past 2 weeks, stock open diffs, crap tires nearly bald now, 2300 miles and got through everything, lifting a wheel here and there, didn't burn a drop of oil or squeak or anything...

Impressive fit & finish for a 17 year old truck.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
What brake recommendations does the group have? I have been sticking to stock pads and they seem to last a reasonable amount of time. I saw some posts about the EBC extra duty pads some are running on Tacoma’s and 4runners who tow. I don’t tow but have a heavier truck and was curious of others experience with different brake options.

Second here - after the last trip I've got a bunch of vibration when the brakes heat up coming down mountain passes (yes I use gears to engine brake but)
so I'm thinking if upgrade parts are same price as OEM, I'll try an upgrade

bkg

Explorer

Hawk pads and Frozen Rotors were my favorite combo that I ran on 3 1st gens

willywalderbeast

Master of None
I know some people in this thread asked for me to post my truck when I was ready to sell so I’m just throwing it up here.

2004 Limited Loaded. Heated Leather New Frame Only 68k Original Miles. 5100s HD leafs New Front Coils UCA SCS F5s Cooper ST Maxx 33s Leer Cap Yakama Racks Smart Phone Car Starter. Needs Nothing! $16,000

Only selling because I’m hitting the road in my camper for a few years and can’t justify it sitting ??
Said camper...

Last edited:

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Want to replace my stock fog lights with some budget LED upgrades - they just need to fit into the stock bumper cutouts, don't need to match the shape of the OEM's - it wouldn't be hard to improve on the stock bulbs and this is 'built' as an almost 100% stock, ugly old rig that's day after day reliable and turns no heads.

What's worked for Gen 1 owners on a budget?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater