is the 1st gen tundra one of the best platforms

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Yes, we're talking about trucks in the American sense. Comparing a Honda Ridgeline to a Tundra is silly and your scruples are questionable at best. Having exterior cargo space does not make a vehicle a truck in the American sense. The Ridgeline is closer to a Highlander with a big open trunk that you can't close.

Hondas are great vehicles. Toyota sets a high bar, Honda is close in reliability/longevity if not slightly better, frankly. However, aside from a Corolla vs Civic or Accord vs Camry.... there isn't much else to compare. Honda does not sell a vehicle in the US that is comparable to a Tundra or a 4Runner, and that is a fact.
Honda isn’t far off with the ridgeline. It has decent payload, just needs a little more tow capacity and a larger tire, low range transfer case,etc. the lack of a frame wouldn’t bother me if it checks all the other boxes.

Series1Rangie

Adventurer
Getting back to tundras. Got the last doors fitted, and the awning mounted. I love my Tundra.
d9e6f77cb0cbdfdcf641d8de3350c0f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rruff

Explorer
Can somebody point me to the negatives if there are any?
One I didn't see mentioned is the turning radius. The 140" "long" 1st Gen is 23.75' and my 164" 2nd Gen is 24.5'. I think the shorter 145" 2nd Gen is about 22'. The shortest 2nd Gen (RC 6.5') is 19.6'.

Back when I was looking I didn't see any compelling reason to go for a 1st Gen over a 2nd... except for the lower hood on the 1st! I'd be curious if anyone has ideas about that. I don't think longevity and durability have proven to be much different, maneuverability favors the 2nd (width is about the same), the 5.7L has a lot more power, 6 speed is nice vs 4 or 5, aftermarket is still strong, easier to find one with low miles and good shape, etc...

TLar25

One I didn't see mentioned is the turning radius. The 140" "long" 1st Gen is 23.75' and my 164" 2nd Gen is 24.5'. I think the shorter 145" 2nd Gen is about 22'. The shortest 2nd Gen (RC 6.5') is 19.6'.

Back when I was looking I didn't see any compelling reason to go for a 1st Gen over a 2nd... except for the lower hood on the 1st! I'd be curious if anyone has ideas about that. I don't think longevity and durability have proven to be much different, maneuverability favors the 2nd (width is about the same), the 5.7L has a lot more power, 6 speed is nice vs 4 or 5, aftermarket is still strong, easier to find one with low miles and good shape, etc...
Yeah turning radius isn't great, something I really notice when switching between my 1st Gen and 4th Gen 4runner. For me it really just comes down to I like how the 1st gens look more than the 2nd gens, and when I had a 2008 crewmax I found it really uncomfortable. I'm not sure if it was the size of the seat or what, but I just didn't enjoy driving it. But like mentioned, the 5.7L is much nicer, tow capacity much higher, fuel mileage is comparable, and the crewmax rear seat was very nice if you have car seats or passengers or whatever in the back seat. Also much better interior storage and a much better center console setup. But I just like the 1st Gen more. Maybe one day I'll try a 2.5 gen Tundra and see if I like that better.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Lemmy

Truck looks great. What size K03's are you running? 285/75r17? And who makes the sliders?
Hey thanks I am really happy with how it is turning out. 285/70/17 on the KO3’s
No sliders yet those are the factory running boards, they took a pretty good hit on that trip and I just stood on it and bounced up down a few times to bend back. Saving my nickels for some Brute Force Sliders but honestly don’t know if I need them. The money may be better spent on skids. I am trying to keep the build as light as possible as I am knocking on the door of gvwr with the camper on it.

I think for what I was wanting to do the Tundra is perfect. It handles the camper nicely and is comfortable. With 300K it is starting to show its age and will need some love soon but I am just having to much fun. Took it for a quick trip last weekend and everything performed perfectly.

Attachments

• tundra.jpg
    tundra.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 11
  • tundra1.jpg
    tundra1.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 11

beef tits

The 4.7 is a great little motor, but it needs to rev to make power. Its low end grunt leaves much to be desired.

The ultimate combo would be finding one with a TRD super charger.

Long tube headers and a tune drastically change that. Mine drives like a 5.7 now. Yes I have owned both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179