J8 Expedition Project:

jrueppel

Adventurer
Gorgeous work - stove fridge combo slide is really well executed. Very psyched to see the whole package come together.

gabepari

Explorer
J8 JK version produced by who? AEV or Chrysler?

My design criteria for this project is that all of these modular pieces work in the standard off-the-shelf JK Unlimited available to us mere mortals. There might be one or two panels that I need to modify to achieve this, but in the interest of time I did not get to fit the final assemblies into a standard JK.

When the J8 comes back from making it's rounds, we will check compatibility with the JK. Short answer, yes they will fit in the Chrysler JK...

Gabe

gabepari

Explorer
Beautiful work mate. I love that Fridge/Stove set-up. I'd love it even more if there was a way to make it fit my 1st Gen 4Runner eh ;) .

Keep up the amazing work.

Cheers

DAve

Edit: BTW is this a 3dr or a 5dr J8??? I didn't realize they came in a 5/4dr model (I like the 2/3dr model better but that's just the looks, I'm sure the 4dr helps with access eh)...

Though it was designed specifically for the JK, there is nothing preventing you from bolting it into any vehicle, provided it will fit. I'm sure Mario will post some rough dimensions when it gets closer to production.

Gabe

Fergie

Expedition Leader
The J8 battery configuration from the factory is a pair of 95 AH batteries linked to a 24 VDC inverter to supply power to mil spec radios & other equipment. The two batteries are necessary to supply the 50 amp current draw that the glow plugs pull upon starting the VM 2.8 TD engine. They are placed in the most space robbing position imaginable. We have decided to remove and replace them with a 8D valve regulated sealed AGM from East Penn Deka. The battery is a whopping 245 AH and produces 1450 CCA. More than enough for starting duties for the J8 and enough left over, when coupled with a low voltage disconnect, to supply power for planned accessories such as a fridge, auxiliary interior lighting and a compressor.

You will notice that the J8 has a single layer for the rear floor whereas the civilian JK has a recessed storage compartment and a well for the factory jack. We will use the area below the floor that would normally be the recessed storage area to suspend the 158 lb 8D battery. This will make the CG even lower than the mil spec. For civilian JKs, we will offer a custom water bladder for the storage area instead. More on that later.

Hell, that is the first thing I would have done! My back hurt all the way home after having to sleep in the back of that thing!!!

Ya know though, the driving it home made it all worth it:costumed-smiley-007

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
On board hot water & shower

An Expedition J8/JK would not be complete without a water system.
This Stage 2 system offers water storage and hot water. A 13.2 gallon collapsible water tank is concealed underneath the Stage 2 storage compartment with an external top fill point. Water is fed by electric pump (2.9 GPM) from the collapsible tank to a 1.6 gallon insulated stainless steel heat exchange tank. The heat for the water comes from lines tapped into the engine coolant system. Hot & cold water are then fed to a mixer valve and voila, you have water hot enough for instant coffee or blended down to shower temperature. Once the vehicle is up to temp, so is the hot water. Our tests have shown 5 mins of idling to be sufficient in most cases. Total capacity = 14.8 gallons. Enough concealed space exists to put in a Doulton purification filter as well.

Attachments

• Hot water and pump mechanicals.jpg
    Hot water and pump mechanicals.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 452
  • Hot-Cold water outlet closed.jpg
    Hot-Cold water outlet closed.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 301
  • Hot-Cold water outlet deployed.jpg
    Hot-Cold water outlet deployed.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 407

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Mario,
Fantastic job !
Is that the mixer valve attached to the end of the hot water tank ?
Does it hold the heat for a long period, too ?
Also, really like the shower set-up, but think we would need a (much) longer hose - is that possible ?
Sorry for all the questions... This is great stuff and fueling lots of ideas ! :sombrero:

Scott Brady

Founder
Just had my first look at the drawer system and shower configuration. Mario has this thing dialed. My love for this truck just got a little more serious. . .

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Mario,
Fantastic job !
Is that the mixer valve attached to the end of the hot water tank ?
Does it hold the heat for a long period, too ?
Also, really like the shower set-up, but think we would need a (much) longer hose - is that possible ?
Sorry for all the questions... This is great stuff and fueling lots of ideas ! :sombrero:

Hoses connect the tanks to the mixer valve. It does hold heat overnight. A quick disconnect hose extension is available.

Just had my first look at the drawer system and shower configuration. Mario has this thing dialed. My love for this truck just got a little more serious. . .

Glad you like. We think it's sexy. It's been a team effort between Gabe & I. Expect to see more cool stuff from us in the future.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Hi Mario,

Thank you. That is great news about the hold time and the hose extension. We were considering another method, but this is looking like a better alternative.

Hoses connect the tanks to the mixer valve. It does hold heat overnight. A quick disconnect hose extension is available.

Glad you like. We think it's sexy. It's been a team effort between Gabe & I. Expect to see more cool stuff from us in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__