Jeep/Land Rover 109 hybrid

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
You must be talking from the perspective of a JK, not a TJ/LJ/YJ/CJ. The 4.0 inline six is a lot of things, but it certainly is NOT the "weak link" in a Jeep. The mini-van 3.8 V6 put in the 2007-2011 JKs certainly was the weak link in that series.

Im guessing the 3.6 minivan engine is the weak link in the new ones too.....

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Im just saying calling the 3.8 a minivan engine is obsurd. the 3.6 is in a minivan too, as well as ecnoboxes.

docwatson

Adventurer
Im just saying calling the 3.8 a minivan engine is obsurd. the 3.6 is in a minivan too, as well as ecnoboxes.

I think people call it a minivan engine because from 1994-2007 it was used solely in... minivans. Back to the build.

This build is awesome so far. Hopefully you are afforded the free time to work on it as I am living vicariously through this build! Can't wait to see the finished product.

BBCchris

Observer
too late for OM617 Mercedes simple wiring, bullet proof.... or 300ci Ford...

Looks great

If I would of had one sitting in the garage I would of used it. I was just trying to use the stuff I had and things that are plentiful.... There are tons of things I would of loved to use but this should work out ok.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
If I would of had one sitting in the garage I would of used it. I was just trying to use the stuff I had and things that are plentiful.... There are tons of things I would of loved to use but this should work out ok.

That is part of what makes this build awesome. It would be anyway, but applying the logic of what you already had and making it work, give it an "everyman" feel. Great job, can't wait to see the finished product.

John

BBCchris

Observer
So I think I have the steering situation all sorted out. I wanted to keep the look of the stock column on the inside but have it hook up to the Range Rover P38 steering box as well as be collapsable for safety.
I cut apart a 96 Cherokee column and harvested the bushing and bearing (green ring in the pic) and put it into a plate that supports the column. I also used the inner part of the Xj column so it would come using the D shape slowing me to use the intermediate shaft as well.

BBCchris

Observer
From there I used the 96 Jeep Xj intermediate shaft (shortened) hooked up to a 91 Range Rover Classic intermediate shaft (shortened and flipped) and slipped into a 98 Range Rover P38 steering knuckle.

BBCchris

Observer
It also has the pedals installed now..... well, except for the brake.

I also had up a local shop bend up some new steel for the top of footwell in the bulkhead because the old ones were just too far gone.
Hopefully I'll have the brake pedal box soon from a guy over on the D90 source forum. It's from a newer model so I can run a power brake booster.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Its pretty close to an old Chevy 6 but different enough that none of the stuff fits. It should be very similar to an XJ, weight is very similar and with 4.10's and a 5spd should make it get around ok.

You just described a Toyota inline six from an FJ, could it possibly be the same engine?

This is such a cool rebuild!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl