Lack of 70 series Land Cruisers.

zimm

Expedition Leader
And the 75 cab chassis is the next step up again, about 2900lbs on the back.

i believe OEX quoted me the capacity of the hilux at 2500lbs or so. load ratings change over time. newer trucks are rated lower for safty concerns. look at the load rating of an older high cap 110 pickup... comically high.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Import more!

That is all I have to say....wait, import and build more is all I have to say. ;)

neonasty

I just thought Id chime in. I own a HZj75 troopy. Yes, Im in Australia, Yes it has duel diesel tanks, yes it also has factory front and rear lockers and air con. No I wont sell it.

They are a VERY basic car, heavy clutch, brakes are wooden, and acceleration is bad. Its not a car you would want to live in a city and drive everyday (well at least with our traffic in Melbourne you wouldnt)

Offroad, they're great though. The 1HZ engine chugs through anything and with a set of 33" muddies it goes everywhere I want to take it.

Im currently designing a few rear platform for the wife and I to sleep in. I'll let you know how that progresses.

Heres a few pics of how it was/is.

Douglas S.

Adventurer
It will never be huge numbers, but Canada has brought in tons of them. The HZJ77 will also be ideal for maintaining and restoring, as the motor is still in production and the interior was in production until 2007!

Look at this stunner: http://www.flickr.com/photos/33618472@N02/3891150933/

There are guys bringing these trucks in, and they are fair prices too. I can see clean HZJ77s being available for about $18,000. What else can you buy for that?

Not tons...very few HZJ77's in Canada. The interior in the later trucks is not the same as the older ones (yes, the older interior can be completely replaced by the new one...but that's not the same) and clean HZJ77's go for quite a bit more than $18k (I suppose this depends on your personal definition of clean).

Lots of HDJ81's here though, I am curious to see what they will go for once the U.S. market opens up. It seems like prices are already starting to creep up on clean trucks. A nice stock one sold in B.C. for almost $20k recently.

Scott Brady

Founder
I do always get a chuckle when 70 series owners tout the model's off-road capability. Reliable - yes. Capable - no.

If you want a capable Land Cruiser, buy an 80 series.

The benefit of the 70 is reliability, durability and capacity. Most of those attributes are at odds with capability. Without diff. locks, I swear they would get stuck on a manhole cover ;)

(and you all know I love the 70, but I am not blinded by her charms. . . entirely)

grimbo

Explorer
I do always get a chuckle when 70 series owners tout the model's off-road capability. Reliable - yes. Capable - no.

The benefit of the 70 is reliability, durability and capacity. Most of those attributes are at odds with capability. Without diff. locks, I swear they would get stuck on a manhole cover ;)

(and you all know I love the 70, but I am not blinded by her charms. . . entirely)

That has always amused me as well.

My folks had a 75 series Troopy with the third door conversion done. Made it a much more usable vehicle, was tempted to buy it off them when they went to trade it for the 75 series ute. But went with a Nissan GQ Patrol instead. Preferred the look, the coil suspension, power windows, factory rear locker and sway bar disconnects. Surprised they don't rate more of a mention

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
My first Cruiser was a troopie just like neonasty's above. I bought that over a Patrol or 80-series because the troopie is higher so you can put a false floor in and still sit up inside. The total lack of anything but plastic floors in the front and steel in the back was a major selling point to me. It made the conversion to a camper much easier than it would be with a "station wagon" style body like the 80 series.

sailor

Observer
It is time to put a nail in the coffin of that old saw about not being able to get parts for your JDM diesel in North America. I've been driving mine around for 4 years with no issues. There are several shops here with availability, the place I go to has rebuilt several HDTs, 2LT HZ etc just this year. In fact, they seem to have become a regular stop for the Europeans on their world tours in the 78 Troopys. So don't sweat it once they are 25 years old, the NA knowledge and parts base is well advanced in B.C.

Douglas S.

Adventurer
It is time to put a nail in the coffin of that old saw about not being able to get parts for your JDM diesel in North America. I've been driving mine around for 4 years with no issues. There are several shops here with availability, the place I go to has rebuilt several HDTs, 2LT HZ etc just this year. In fact, they seem to have become a regular stop for the Europeans on their world tours in the 78 Troopys. So don't sweat it once they are 25 years old, the NA knowledge and parts base is well advanced in B.C.

B.C. is the only place in North America where this is the case. There are a handful of shops scattered throughout the U.S. that work on them, but nothing of any significance.

Parts can be ordered, a mechanic that's familiar with the truck is much harder to find. You basically need to be able to work on them yourself unless you live close to ATEB or Radd.

neonasty

I agree with you to a point. Without diff locks, it wouldnt be anywhere as capable. The leaf springs are hard, and dont flex well at all. Perhaps thats why its an option from toyota? Once i engage both F&R diff locks, it just walks up anything. Ive been through the victorian high country and it performed fantastically. I have a friend who has a Nissan Patrol, and they are VERY popular in australia. They're great cars. The soft coils all around work great, complient and flex like a boss. With a 3" lift, 35" tyres fit with zero scrubbing. It makes for a great offroad car.

Scott Brady

Founder
Agreed. When you compare trail performance between a 70 and a Patrol, the result is shocking.

I have years of travel in the 70s now, and absolutely respect the vehicles, but they just do not meet my expectations on performance. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy driving them on the trail, as it is that much more of a challenge.

It is important to note that I am only referring to the particularly technical challenges. For most backcountry travel, they are really good. Crossing the Canning Stock with a few of them, they were nearly perfect, just plodding along.

Patrol, Valencia Creek (Victorian High Country). This was a very technical trail, and the outcome would have been quite different with a 78
477035_10151863306243275_292073344_o.jpg

VDJ78, Siberia
242004_10151396598648275_386723769_o.jpg

VDJ78, Canning Stock Route, Australia
902190_10151837067978275_1425087440_o.jpg

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Or you could go with a hybrid. My 75 has both leaf and coils. The leaf is there to hold the axle in position and the coil provides the "spring". Makes for a better ride for sure. Not too sure about the trail capability as that extra axle on the back negates any other suspension improvements.

http://www.freds4wd.com.au/comfort.html

Last edited:

zimm

Expedition Leader
Agreed. When you compare trail performance between a 70 and a Patrol, the result is shocking.

I have years of travel in the 70s now, and absolutely respect the vehicles, but they just do not meet my expectations on performance. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy driving them on the trail, as it is that much more of a challenge.

It is important to note that I am only referring to the particularly technical challenges. For most backcountry travel, they are really good. Crossing the Canning Stock with a few of them, they were nearly perfect, just plodding along.

i've always viewed the 70 being designed as a little 3/4 ton pickup adapted as an SUV. its better for loads, but then a little worse off road. unlike you, i dont view the G as any better. but its a give and take.

the question being, is it easier to add load capability to a Landcruiser or a 4 door wrangler, and keep the excellent offroad prowess, or to attempt to start with a say, a HD 70 series, and improve its offroadiness. personally, i think the answer to that question, lies in the existence of leaf springs in the basic design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk