Lipstick on a Pig: The 10 Don'ts of Vehicle Modifications

Storz

Explorer
01_PontiacAztek.jpg

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit:smilies27

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Communication systems are pretty useless unless you have someone to talk to.

I've found that the combination of CB and cell phone works fine for anything in Colorado. Sure, there are places where a 2m rig might be a good idea (very remote locations where, in an emergency, you can hit a repeater) but for inter-vehicle communications, CB and FRS/GMRS work just fine, don't require a license, are waaaaay cheaper and most people have (or can get) them.

BTW I'm a former Ham myself, a Tech + HF, (KB0LOG), but my license lapsed in 2004 and I never bothered to renew it because I can't justify the expense and the time. I've owned a couple of 2m HTs but after going to the trouble of getting them set up, I found I never used them.

Paladin

Banned

This is THE most accurate comment in the whole discussion.

A non-functioning CB won't help you communicate with anybody.

Neither will a perfectly setup HAM in a group where nobody else has one. Well, you might be able to join in on a rag chew while you wait for your buddies to realize you're not behind them anymore.

If I win the lottery, maybe I'll buy a nice HAM setup for everybody in my group. Until then, I'll stick to using the same radio system they are.

As far as the Aztec is concerned... They're hiddeous, but they're also VERY practical (and affordable) vehicles for regular people. It's a very good choice for somebody who just wants something that works, and not something that will impress the neighbors. They are capable of doing 99% of what most people need an SUV to do, at half the cost.

So, the comparison to a CB is, I think, quite valid.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Here's my Do Not: Burlap or potato sack trash bags off the rear......
I strongly disagree.
Since burlap bags have started showing up hanging from the back of trucks the trail system is notably cleaner. I say kudos to anyone who has one.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
And Scott, regarding the anti-CB thing, I'm totally with you, but it's sorta like wishing against stop lights. Nobody likes them, but you need them in groups of people.
No, roundabouts work a lot better.
They don't work too well for convoy communications however.

Paladin

Banned
They don't working too well for convoy communications however.

What, you don't like playing telephone?

"He said what? Take a right at the blue buffalo?" "No! I said: They said to take a right at the black banana!"

"OK. Hey Chris, can you hear me? You need to take a right at the Barrack Obama up ahead. No, I don't know what it means either, I'm sure it'll make sense when we get there."

Last edited:

rusty_tlc

Explorer

I've found that the combination of CB and cell phone works fine for anything in Colorado. Sure, there are places where a 2m rig might be a good idea (very remote locations where, in an emergency, you can hit a repeater) but for inter-vehicle communications, CB and FRS/GMRS work just fine, don't require a license, are waaaaay cheaper and most people have (or can get) them.

BTW I'm a former Ham myself, a Tech + HF, (KB0LOG), but my license lapsed in 2004 and I never bothered to renew it because I can't justify the expense and the time. I've owned a couple of 2m HTs but after going to the trouble of getting them set up, I found I never used them.
Without respect to the merits of 2M over CB there are a couple of statements here that are just wrong.
"waaaay cheaper" really?
FT-2900 $149. That's about the same as a mid range CB.

And most people can pass the tech test, it's pretty common sense stuff and cost about $14 to take the test. In fact it's almost scary how easy it is to get a tech ticket.

swampjeep

Matt,

I don't like the added weight behind the rear axle, especially on short wheelbase vehicles. The spare tire is usually fairly far from the back of the jeep, more so with fuel cans mounted. A swing out rear bumper is generally about 100lbs, spare tire is 50-100lbs, fuel cans are about 50lbs each. That stuff adds up WAY fast. All the weight is also behind the rear axle, so it not only adds weight to the rear axle, it also takes weight OFF the front axle in leverage. This really starts to mess with vehicle dynamics on a SWB while trying to climb things.

Again, just my own opinion.....

so where would you put all this stuff on a SWB? or would you choose to just not carry a spare?

Scott Brady

Founder
Everyone I travel with uses 2M because we have made it important. We all encouraged and helped each other get licensed, buy the radios and ensure it is the communication we use. Jack from 4wdtrips was the champion of that whole transition nearly a decade ago - we have never looked back.

Just take the time to get your license and encourage the other people you travel with to do the same. It is worth the investment to have the best.

Paladin

Banned
so where would you put all this stuff on a SWB? or would you choose to just not carry a spare?

On the roof. Or the hood. Or the front bumper. Or the rear bumper. Or under the chassis.

Fact is, if your spare tire can't go inside the vehicle for any number of perfectly valid reasons, it's going to have to go someplace that is not optimal for any number of other reasons. The blanket statements being thrown around in this thread are not conducive to anything. Everything is a compromise.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Without respect to the merits of 2M over CB there are a couple of statements here that are just wrong.
"waaaay cheaper" really?
FT-2900 $149. That's about the same as a mid range CB.

Yes, Really. You can buy a working CB for under $50. I'd call that way cheaper than $150.

I paid about $80 for the Midland unit that I have, but that's because I wanted the all-in-mic setup and the WX radio. If I didn't need those two things I doubt I'd have paid $50.

FRS radios are even cheaper. You can buy a pair that will work for vehicle-to-vehicle communication for around $35 if you watch for sales.

And most people can pass the tech test, it's pretty common sense stuff and cost about $14 to take the test. In fact it's almost scary how easy it is to get a tech ticket.

That is as true as it is irrelevant - it's like saying most people can learn Swahili if they try hard enough. So what? Most people can pass the test, but they won't because the 2m is only useful for a tiny percentage of their time.

If you always wheel with the same group of people, and if you can convince those people to get their tech licenses, and buy the radios, then 2m or 440 might make sense.

But those are a couple of big "ifs" and they don't apply to everybody.

OTOH, almost anybody who goes off road either has a CB or can get one. Hell, if you don't have one you can pick one up at the truck stop on the way to the trail! Ditto for GMRS/FRS, in fact, those radios are cheap enough that you can throw a pair of them into your gear bag and hand one out to a buddy when you get to the trailhead.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I'm curious why the Hi-Lift gets no love....

Farm jacks are probably the most versatile off road tools out there. They are also the most dangerous. Bringing a farm jack IS a compromise... although dangerous, it requires so much gear to replicate what can be accomplished with a farm jack that people still bring them along.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3