MG Metalworks Van Build

Excellent choice on muffler. I have never used one on those flex joints. How durable are they? I may need to use one to clear the cross member.

I want to use stainless thru out my exhaust and am having a difficult time finding 4" stainless bent for behind the axle exit. Main reasons being my vehicles age and no longer a popular model. Most universal kits don't do stainless in 4inch.

You are lucky having the body off with ease of access to everything.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Excellent choice on muffler. I have never used one on those flex joints. How durable are they? I may need to use one to clear the cross member.

I want to use stainless thru out my exhaust and am having a difficult time finding 4" stainless bent for behind the axle exit. Main reasons being my vehicles age and no longer a popular model. Most universal kits don't do stainless in 4inch.

The flex joint is actually the factory piece. The down pipe is stock except that I cut it down a few inches to fit like I wanted. Generally speaking, I haven't had any trouble with joints like this. I don't think I've ever read about anyone having a problem with them either.

I'm lucky in that my local exhaust shop has a mandrel bender for stainless exhaust tubing, for 2 1/2" - 4".

Otherwise, check cone engineering, they're very fair with bends and tubing. But I imagine there's gotta be someone closer to you.

philos

Explorer
Indeed I do like your duct tape hangers. They can work double duty as a smoke screen on the 405...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
That style of flex bellow is OEM on all the German vehicles, and holds up very well to flex. There are a few high end exhaust places that sell REALLY nice bellows (Burns, Reid Washburn), plenty of other places that sell them online now too.
V-bands ******! Are you going to use some Wiggins clamps for the boost tubes as well? ;)

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Feed the Animals, MG.

Here are a few nibbles...

Exhaust hangers.... Magnaflow sells the rods with the mushroom ends on them so you can bend your own hangers and use the factory isolator bushings. Yesterday, I got all of mine made up but didn't get a chance to weld them yet.

I may put an additional one in closer to the end of the tailpipe but I'll wait and see how it is when these are welded first.

I've also been putting some suspension parts together... They're pretty good at self-aligning so it doesn't take much to get them ready to weld. I cut up my spare frame yesterday so I could make a much neater welding setup. A 2 foot section of frame is easier to put on a welding table than moving this frame around all the time. It had served its purpose well.

Nice radius arm mount! Is that one of your designs? Those look like they could serve me well. My center crossmember is right behind where the radius arms will mount. That would work out great for a bolt in crossmember assembly.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
i might have missed it, but what is the suspension arrangement going to be? looks like coils and radius arms?

Nice radius arm mount! Is that one of your designs? Those look like they could serve me well. My center crossmember is right behind where the radius arms will mount. That would work out great for a bolt in crossmember assembly.

Discussion of MG's radius arm mount starts here.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/96155-MG-Metalworks-Van-Build?p=2049389#post2049389

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk