MG Metalworks Van Build

packmule

Observer
... my Sterling 10.5 out of the truck once Ujoint finishes it up and ships it out here and I'm ok with that

Does Quadvan use spacers on the Dana rear like UJoint? Will your existing modified slider door hinge clear the wider track of the Sterling, or will you have to fab another one?

86scotty

Cynic
Nice score on the forklift. I have a friend with a small business and he has sure loved it since he found one. I had my building and shop lift delivered to his business, among other things, because trucks can't get to my house, so I've had some seat time on the old antique. It looks about like yours but his is a MANUAL shift forklift. What's more it has no parking brake! It's pretty fun to unload your expensive toys with. Yeah, the brake really needs to be fixed but a manual forklift is like juggling 5 balls with one hand in the first place.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Does Quadvan use spacers on the Dana rear like UJoint? Will your existing modified slider door hinge clear the wider track of the Sterling, or will you have to fab another one?

Yes, I have spacers on the stock axle now (as it came from Quadvan). I think 2", can't remember specifically. I've installed my extended hinges on a couple vans with Sterlings in the rear (and wider tires than I have) and the door clears fine. If for some reason there is a problem with clearance, I can make another no problem.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Nice score on the forklift. I have a friend with a small business and he has sure loved it since he found one. I had my building and shop lift delivered to his business, among other things, because trucks can't get to my house, so I've had some seat time on the old antique. It looks about like yours but his is a MANUAL shift forklift. What's more it has no parking brake! It's pretty fun to unload your expensive toys with. Yeah, the brake really needs to be fixed but a manual forklift is like juggling 5 balls with one hand in the first place.

My first forklift was one of those ol' timer manuals. That was certainly a handful, especially with heavy loads. :)

tgreening

Expedition Leader
My first forklift was one of those ol' timer manuals. That was certainly a handful, especially with heavy loads. :)

My first was an old Hyster manual. The mast could lift more than the ******** could keep counter balance. There were plenty of times I had 2-3 guys sitting on the rear to keep it on e ground while I loaded crap in my furnace. Lost it ( and a bunch of stuff) in a shop fire back in '93. :(.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Kind of a big day today... I finished welding up the engine mounts and took a load of fab'd parts to the powdercoater for finishing. That means final assembly is near!! While I'm waiting on those parts, under-body prep will commence as will paint touch up on the frame. I love the final assembly stage! It means that I'm almost done spending money!!

I refinished the 55 gallon tank this week too. Stripped it bare, cleaned it thoroughly inside, then repainted and assembled.

packmule

Observer

Top notch work. I love it! You've been so focused on the build that you haven't put away your Christmas tree stand yet! :)

Also, do you have any plans to get this van out in the public eye so local admirers can ogle the craftsmanship? I'd love to get an up close look at this thing someday.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Top notch work. I love it! You've been so focused on the build that you haven't put away your Christmas tree stand yet! :)

Also, do you have any plans to get this van out in the public eye so local admirers can ogle the craftsmanship? I'd love to get an up close look at this thing someday.

Thank you!!! Your support is much appreciated! :)

If you're local (or not local and just passing through), stop on by the shop and check things out! I'll certainly be driving it all over when it's done and can meet up for show and tell but if you want to see things in various stages of assembly, you're welcome to come by. I'll send you a PM with my contact info.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Thank you!!! Your support is much appreciated! :)

If you're local (or not local and just passing through), stop on by the shop and check things out! I'll certainly be driving it all over when it's done and can meet up for show and tell but if you want to see things in various stages of assembly, you're welcome to come by. I'll send you a PM with my contact info.

Haven't been down your way for along time... I'll have to pop by if I head down your way.

If you've not been out his way... It's well worth the drive. The Coast is beautiful as are the many affordable state campgrounds.

Gootjr

Observer
Sienna Seats

I was just curious if you put the Sienna seats with the foot rests in the front of the van and can you lift the foot rests.
Thanks Bob

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I was just curious if you put the Sienna seats with the foot rests in the front of the van and can you lift the foot rests.
Thanks Bob

The foot rest won't come up all the way on the passenger side but enough to support the backs of your legs and on the driver side I disable the foot rest because there's no room at all for it to be useful.

Gootjr

Observer
Recliners

Perfect thanks, so the passenger comes up enough to lock ? Did you make all new bases or build off the stock ? Also do you have a source for those seats.
Thanks Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach