Might be getting an FJ

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Oh man it sounds like your building what I have in mind. THe only variable is the sliders. I am going to run the ARB with Skids. Do you have any pics of your truck with the tires, bumper and rack installed or have you not got started at all on assembly?

FJ Cruiser

Adventurer
imagodave said:
Black Cherry was my favorite also, I am a solar contractor so went with Yellow to match my other trucks, 6-sp MT, OME, 255/85/16, Pro Comp Steel Wheels, ARB Roof Rack, ARB Bull Bar & Warn 8000 with dual Battery set up sitting in garage waiting for time to install, Expedition One Rock Sliders on the way, I keep browsing this site and come up with something else each week.....:sunny:

Would you consider running one of these units, or is dual batteries the way to go?

http://www.solarcharger.com/s.nl/it.A/id.65/.f

imagodave

Adventurer
Nullifier said:
Oh man it sounds like your building what I have in mind. THe only variable is the sliders. I am going to run the ARB with Skids. Do you have any pics of your truck with the tires, bumper and rack installed or have you not got started at all on assembly?

The sliders are coming as part of a group buy from expedition one, with 2 small steps, I'm expecting them next week or two. Need the small steps because I use the rack daily to hold a ladder. The ARB and winch are in the garage waiting for a weekend break to install. Wheels and tires installed with heaviest spring rating with OME lift. Cut body mounts @ front wheel well for additional clearance when full articulation is needed. If you want the steel wheels most will not clear the calipers. Wheelers in Oregon has special order for FJC's

I am looking @ Bud Built skids which also protects crossmember and fuel tank.

Will post pictures after I figure out how to

imagodave

Adventurer
FJ Cruiser said:
Would you consider running one of these units, or is dual batteries the way to go?

http://www.solarcharger.com/s.nl/it.A/id.65/.f

These are rated @ 6W STC, Standard Test Conditions 40 degrees F, and 1000 watts per sq. meter of direct sunlight. Will keep your deep cycle fully charged when sitting for a period, but will not keep up with the drains of a Fridge and camping stuff, let alone winching.

I've seen Scott post on solar modules, I beleve they are the rubber matt type like US Solar which come in much larger sizes, I have a 150watt sample @ the office. With the rubber type you can throw them over the tent while camping to help with keeping the battery topped off. I would use two this size for 300 watts total.
The dual battery setup is less $$ to begin with.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
imagodave said:
The sliders are coming as part of a group buy from expedition one, with 2 small steps, I'm expecting them next week or two. Need the small steps because I use the rack daily to hold a ladder. The ARB and winch are in the garage waiting for a weekend break to install. Wheels and tires installed with heaviest spring rating with OME lift. Cut body mounts @ front wheel well for additional clearance when full articulation is needed. If you want the steel wheels most will not clear the calipers. Wheelers in Oregon has special order for FJC's

I am looking @ Bud Built skids which also protects crossmember and fuel tank.

Will post pictures after I figure out how to

SO how much stiffer is the heavy ome lift w then stock?

imagodave

Adventurer
Nullifier said:
SO how much stiffer is the heavy ome lift w then stock?

Much stiffer right now,I have not installed ARB Bumper & winch yet, synthetic line came in today so I have all the parts ready, but I have trade shows booked for the next 3 weekends. After that weight added to front end should soften up a bit. Right now very stiff, kinda fun cornering though.

laurie-the-lorry

Adventurer
I would go with the Yellow, I liked the new yellow so much I re-sprayed my old FJ40 to bring it up to date.

A few good reasons:

1) You can find it at the mall parking lot real easy
2) Never lose it in any snow storms.
3) The Bumble Bee's and assorted insects seem to love it.
4) It brings a smile to many peoples faces.
5) I really like the color, As far as treading lightly goes Baloney, the color dosen't damage or pollute the environment. And if your partially sighted you should still be able to see a Silver/white or yellow Land cruiser in a field. maybe boats should be painted blue, Cars a Gray tarmac color, and whilst were at it those airplanes would make Sooo much less environmental foot print if we made them all a pretty Sky blue.

So again my preference would be yellow, But the world is full of individuals so pick the color you like. Or if your like me Ask the wife the color she wants and I get to pick the car :luxhello:

Highwaystar

in a few years I am gonna get an fj, hopefully they will put in a smaller engine by then. Youll probably love it!!!

mine WILL be voodoo blue tho!!

Funny thing about loud exhaust and bright colours, out here almost everyone gets them, keeps the grizzlies and cougars away.

zimm

Expedition Leader
the 32g youre gonna blow would buy one hell of a used mallcruiser 100. youd get a much better built rig with a v8.

i dont think youll fine one in babypoop yellow though.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
zimm said:
the 32g youre gonna blow would buy one hell of a used mallcruiser 100. youd get a much better built rig with a v8.

i dont think youll fine one in babypoop yellow though.

If was going to buy something used it would be an '04 taco crew cab. Besides I want a stick which the 100 doesn't offer and I get awd with the FJ. Besides the big plan is to add a campa trailer so the rig doesn't have to be huge to haul gear. just enough for people and paddling equipment on the roof.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Nullifier said:
If was going to buy something used it would be an '04 taco crew cab. Besides I want a stick which the 100 doesn't offer and I get awd with the FJ. Besides the big plan is to add a campa trailer so the rig doesn't have to be huge to haul gear. just enough for people and paddling equipment on the roof.

the stick thing is a bummer. thats the primary reason a friend of mine is shopping FJ's over used LC's too. although, if i was going to do the offroad m416 camper buildup thing, id want a an auto. towing with a clutch over difficult terrain can get squirrelly.

too bad you never find a 100 w/ a wasted tranny, so it would be economical to have the manual parts shipped in from the magical land of OZ.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I'm a die-hard manual trans guy. Have not considered anything but for my last several rigs. BUT, when I took my first test drives the day after Thanksgiving in a DC Tacoma, FJ Cruz, & 4Runner (in that order) I was surprised in a couple areas.

Firstly, I didn't care for how the 6-sp in the Tacoma engaged and launched. I owned a 2005 Jeep LJ Rubicon at the time with a 6-sp that I loved since day one. The Toyota tranny just seemed both car-like and jerky/vague to engage (not the shifting of the stick so much, but the engine/gas to clutch engagement).

I then drove an FJ w/ V6 and 5-sp auto and this felt like a totally different engine, because of the trans. Better performance, not less. I think the very low first gear has lots to do with it. This Toyota 5-speed Auto awakening allowed my to consider a 4Runner, which only has an A/T, which is what I ultimately purchased.

Nullifier said:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk