Moby1 owners?

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
Dont let the bottom of the Moby determine your choice. That wood, and how its finished, is TOUGH! It kinda feels like a composite. Ashly said its designed for pouring concrete. He also said they were considering coating it with Rhino or similar liner in the future just to add more protection.

Personally, I dont think there is going to be an issue with it inside of 30 years but, I'm just a perfectionist so I've decided to cut some ABS plastic and apply with contact cement. I'll try to get some pics up afterward.

I guess my concern, and I'm assuming others, was if it was at least treated or not. I could care how it looks as if it was a different color or looked like bare wood. Just wondering if it's at least treated. I'm in the PNW so wet weather is always going to be a problem. I was just skeptical if it would get too weathered on and cause some kind of issue after some aging.

The only reason I didn't go with a Moby was because I just didn't have the money for all the stuff I wanted in my trailer build. SoCal was more in my budget and included some of the stuff in the base price, whereas I would have had to pay extra for on the Moby. I don't think I could have gone wrong with either one. If I could, I'd own both! haha.

fireball

Explorer
If the bottom is wood and it's finished nicely that is great. Until something happens to it... i.e. a rock ding or drag it over a boulder or whatever and it will dent/penetrate the finished wood and expose an unfinished unprotected product. That would be my worry. Some type of ABS plastic or a bit harder more durable finish like Raptorliner or similar would seem to be a better option.

Of course I don't actually know what or how the material is finished, so what I say about might be complete baloney :)

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
I think with any TD you're gonna have to worry about the subfloor getting hit. I know on my TD I'll have to worry about that. Hell, even with a regular camper or trailer.

I'm not that worried because I spent a lot of money on something I want to be able to use for a long time. Of course I'll take it off road, but I'm not gonna take it down some extreme jagged, rocky trail. But I do have 35s and plenty of clearance.

rlynch356

Defyota
Dont let the bottom of the Moby determine your choice. That wood, and how its finished, is TOUGH! It kinda feels like a composite. Ashly said its designed for pouring concrete. He also said they were considering coating it with Rhino or similar liner in the future just to add more protection.

Personally, I dont think there is going to be an issue with it inside of 30 years but, I'm just a perfectionist so I've decided to cut some ABS plastic and apply with contact cement. I'll try to get some pics up afterward.

thanks - my main concern was water actually - and preventing it seeping into the wood and rotting it. _ No issues with the materials - just something to request if its not stock. a rhino liner type coating would go a long way to sealing it for the long haul
Trailer looks awesome BTW.. I really like the benroy style

flipmachine

Adventurer
currently making 2 very similar styled trailers but with alot of upgrades, its a 1x1 square aluminum square tubing, with 1/8th aluminum outside skin, then spray foamed... everything is almost ready to go together.. just waiting to get the laser cutting back.frame10.jpg

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
What does the bottom of the SoCal look like? I'm trying to lock in on a trailer to buy..

So sorry for the late reply. This is what the bottom of SoCal looks like...

10888354_10152548955741087_6269343050530904646_n.jpg

dozer2

Hmm.... interesting a lot more to this story. This is not a typical customer experience. Mr. Tobler will be in touch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk