My 80 build up thread

MrOffshore

Observer
Great work, thanks for posting images, I just bought my 95' 80 this past fall and have begun making some basic mods, I'm not a big offroader by most peoples definition, but I want to take an "expedition" with my son some day...not like you're thinking, but just into the upper peninsula of Michigan into the back woods....use the Land Cruiser as our camper or possibly build out a small expedition trailer...had a beautiful one but sold it. Loved reading your build out and looking at your pictures...I agree, your color would have been my first choice...I got the ever popular dark green.

cc93cruiser

Observer
That awning looks good and at a reasonable price too. Hey your the guy that has a brother here in Redwood City, right?

latinoguy

Adventurer
Yes Robert, My bro lives in Redwood City. When I go up to visit, I usually don't drive the mule up there, as I fly most of the time.

latinoguy

Adventurer
I worked with a local fabricator who made me the Tire Carrier. I didn't like the way the spare tire would drag on occasion over obstacles risking a flat. After doing a bit of research on a couple of designs, i decided to closely copy Johnny Lange's (aka wildyoats design.) http://www.wildyoats.com/

Besides metal, you will need a locking latch (Locking 2000 pound latch Mcmaster #5071A62 or similar) a strap or locking bumpstop pin to keep the carrier from swinging too much, and a quality heavy duty spindle like Rocklogic's IPOR Spindle, and some nuts and bolts.

This is how I have the carrier bolted to the rear bumper (the trick is drilling the hole over the bumper's piece that covers the spindle arm.)

spindlearm1.jpg

more pics here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/bohemianjsr/Toyota Land Cruiser/Tire Carrier/spindlearm1.jpg

Can you give some info up on your tire carrier?

latinoguy

Adventurer
Aussie Rear Locker Installed

Well, this weekend I finally got an Aussie auto locker installed in the rear axle. I had a buddy help with the install and after some sanding of one of the side washers, install came in at spec and so far so good. Lets see how different the mule behaves on trail runs, city and highway driving.

Next mod will most likely be a winch install or a Safari Snorkel.

latinoguy

Adventurer
Well, I have driven the truck with the Aussie auto locker for 7 months, and except for tight turns in parking situations, I don't even feel that it is there, or hear the famous noise to remind me that it is there. No noticeable driving difference in rain, wet surfaces. Haven't driven it on snow, or ice.

Last weekend a member of the ih8mud forum installed (I assisted :) ) a HF 10K winch that I purchased a few months ago but hadn't had the time to mount on the ARB bumper. Glad it is done. Pics to come later.

I also had to outfit the old mule with some new shoes. I went with some Pro Comp Extreme MTs for better off road performance. I picked them up used with about 70% thread left for a fair price off CL. 285/96/16. I am pretty happy with the road noise so far, and they ride fairly well on the highway. haven't tried them off payment yet, and I can't wait.

On deck is a Scion head unit that I need to install as well. I want to keep the stock look on the dash and this is a descent upgrade that requires some modification to fit the radio in. I shall find out tomorrow probably.

Next is probably a dual battery set up or a snorkel install. :snorkel:

Last edited:

latinoguy

Adventurer
Here are some latest street pics of the mule with the winch installed, and the 1 size smaller Pro Comp Extreme 285/75/16 Mud Terrains.

DroidPics005-1.jpg

DroidPics028.jpg

I also bought a used Scion head unit, model 1808 with Ipod AUX option. The reason being I wanted to be able to listen to my Ipod, but wanted to keep a factory look, basically a stock looking radio with no bling. These scion radios fit fairly well and are connected with a few modifications of the original radio mount brackets, and some material removal on the center plastic panel. No splicing of wire harnesses as the 95-97 80 series land cruiser radio wiring harness is a direct fit.

The cool thing is I can use the head unit to navigate my Ipod Touch music library. The cable goes from the back of the head unit to the glove compartment where I prefer to keep the Ipod.

Red lighting is pretty cool, I like it better than the green lights on the dash. I wonder I there are compatible red light bulbs for the dash board...I gotta make some very slight sanding of the plastic piece surround the radio for a fit to my liking.

DroidPics041.jpg

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Mud terrain's on a Landcruiser and now it is a real expedition vehicle!:wings:

Looks very nice and clean, job well done!:victory:

CMY4XGO

Dash lighting

Hey Latinoguy, nice 80! Thanks for the WO.

I currently have a Scion in my 97, and love the orangish-red color.

I haven't nailed down the correct bulbs for the HVAC controls and the like but I did replace the clear factory instrument cluster lighting (194 bulbs) with amber one typicaly used for turn signals.

I dont have any pics that I can post at the present time but it almost matches the Scion lighting perfectly.

latinoguy

Adventurer
Thanks. Was this project time consuming? I would have to imagine so having to change so many bulbs.Please try to post some pics or start a new thread about this mod.

Hey Latinoguy, nice 80! Thanks for the WO.

I currently have a Scion in my 97, and love the orangish-red color.

I haven't nailed down the correct bulbs for the HVAC controls and the like but I did replace the clear factory instrument cluster lighting (194 bulbs) with amber one typicaly used for turn signals.

I dont have any pics that I can post at the present time but it almost matches the Scion lighting perfectly.

Last edited:

latinoguy

Adventurer
So after having installed the Scion Factory head unit, the front speakers especially reminded me how tired and distorted they sounded. So I started searching the mud forum for a speaker upgrade that would allow me to keep the OEM grills and would fit without too much work. the limitations being finding speakers that have very shallow mounting depths. This is especially the case for the rear doors on the 96-97 FZJ80s which have a window channel that runs right along where the speaker cones rest inside the doors.

I just installed the Pioneers TS-G1041Rs (4 in. speakers) on the rear doors, (there is a good write up by skillet on mud, so I won't duplicate it here. The only thing I did differently is I added some "insulation" to the inside of the door panel. I used Peel and Seal from your DIY roofing department. I came across the idea at another car forum and it shows to be a good option to the more expensive material that is available. Cost about $18 for a roll.

pioneerrearspeakermod001.jpg

I wasn't that attentive to detail when it came to fitting and cutting, but I was pleased with the end result. This stuff glues on pretty well once you set it on the material.
pioneerrearspeakermod002.jpg

Pics of the door panel put back together with new Pioneer Speaker, and with the factory cover on top.

pioneerrearspeakermod003.jpg

pioneerrearspeakermod004.jpg

I ordered a set of Pioneers TS-G1643R speakers to replace the front door speakers next.

Last edited:

latinoguy

Adventurer
Update. Pic from last weekend's South Park / Pleasant Canyon Run.
Pioneer Speakers were installed in the front doors last week as well, and the sound is now vastly improved over the old stock system.:victory:

deathvalleymarch2011086.jpg

I am moving on to the dual battery system, mirroring this set up. http://www.bajaoverland.com/dualbats.php

This weekend I installed the second battery tray, windshield washer fluid reservoir has been relocated. Now I need to source some marine 2AWG cable, terminal posts, 3/8 distribution block, and the deep cycle battery so I can have all of the parts and complete this mod. Cool beans.

I'm hoping to have this completed in April, so I can think about getting the EdgeStar 12 fridge, and be Baja ready by June. I am planning on doing a 1 week Baja run (Central Baja) in July (surfing, camping trip.)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad