My extremely slow 2001 Tundra build thread

BrianTN

Adventurer
Yay the bumper came and I installed the toolbox.
IMG_2954.JPG

IMG_2955.JPG

IMG_2960.JPG

ExpoScout

Explorer
I like the toolbox. How close to flush is it? I wish they (UWS) made a flush one that fit perfectly in there with no space on either side. That way I could have a roll up cover that would cover the whole bed and keep it watertight, for the most part.

BrianTN

Adventurer
It sits maybe 2" over the bed rails. It's the UWS TBC48WBLK Black Wedged Chest. I spent a while trying to find one that did fit from bedrail to bedrail without luck. There were some that seemed like a closer fit than mine, but I didn't feel like taking the chance of having it not fit near the wheel wells and reship it back.

seanpistol

Explorer
nice on the bumper... I've been looking at the same one and thinking about plating it behind the tubing to make a step on top, protect the winch and protect everything else from road grime.

BrianTN

Adventurer
Here is how I plan on painting it :peepwall:. It's a 4000 or 5000 lb shelving system from Lowes that I threw a chain over and hooked into the shackle mounts. Looks weird but should help me get an even coat all over, I guess.
IMG_2974.JPG

BrianTN

Adventurer
Primer is on after I used a cleaner from POR15 to remove the oil used in shipping. I'm using Rustoleum professional primer and flat black with a matte clear.
Photo%20Apr%2007%2C%2012%2029%2046.jpg

BrianTN

Adventurer
In the future I may weld a 2" receiver on the front to use my vise while I have my trailer attached and close it up like you were mentioning, seanpistol.

Last edited:

BrianTN

Adventurer
Nice truck. I am a fan of the addicted offroad bumper, be sure to weld caps on the frame rails and not to hit a deer, ha!

Looking forward to seeing your progress.
After removing the bumper, it doesn't look like I need to really cap the frame unless I'm missing something. The crossmember you see here comes off with 2 14mm bolts, and the front of the frame has that mostly flat piece with remaining bolt holes on the front. For anyone who doesn't know, the Addicted bumper comes with a crossmember that is welded in between the front frame rails.
IMG_3051.jpg

IMG_3052.jpg

BrianTN

Adventurer
Crossmember painted, so hopefully installing the bumper tomorrow. I'll decide on trimming any plastic splash guards or whatever at that time.
Photo%20Apr%2017%2C%2010%2059%2045.jpg

BrianTN

Adventurer
And here it is installed. I still want to trim the plastic just in front of the wheels and touch up some areas with black spray paint. Looking back I probably would of had it powder coated. The rustoleum enamel paint I used doesn't seem very strong.
Photo%20Apr%2018%2C%2016%2032%2000.jpg

Photo%20Apr%2018%2C%2016%2032%2008.jpg

Photo%20Apr%2018%2C%2016%2032%2013.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77