My New Trooper!

bootzilla

Adventurer
After driving on the beach a few weeks ago, the 4wd-high mod is almost a necessity. The TOD is great on-road, but in any really slippery condition off road (soft sand, mud) the TOD system gets a little confused and continuously shifts power back and forth between the front and back. I had to use 4-lo on the beach, which worked out ok, but 4-high with a locked diff would have been far better.

I ordered the switch from Merlin right after I got the truck and never did the mod, but I am going to do it as soon as I have a free weekend to poke around the wires. The switch part number in the article is a fog-light switch (or at least that is what they sent me). Not sure what the part number is for the 4wd switch, but if you find it, let us know...

One of the reasons I got a Trooper was for the TOD, since I wanted to have full-time capability for the street (as opposed to a part-time system that the 4Runners I test-drove had).

4wd definitely locks the center diff.

The power mod, though, is cheap and highly recommended.

Trooper looks great! Keep us posted if you do anything to it.

Last edited:

jrsteffes

Adventurer
Some more pics!

Attachments

• DSCN0904.JPG
    DSCN0904.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN0899.JPG
    DSCN0899.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN0907.JPG
    DSCN0907.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN0914.JPG
    DSCN0914.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 33

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I really wanted a white one, the the Champagne (or as we call it in Colorado, MagChloride Metallic) doesn't look as bad covered in road grime, so I'm happy.

bootzilla

Adventurer
bigreen505 said:
Yeah, I really wanted a white one, the the Champagne (or as we call it in Colorado, MagChloride Metallic) doesn't look as bad covered in road grime, so I'm happy.

That is funny because I went out looking for dark red or black, and ended up with Champagne, which I originally hadn't considered (I didn't even know they had that color until I saw the one I bought), I really like it, now.

Lovin' the pics - the two-tone looks great!

jrsteffes

Adventurer
The only thing I worry about is that I would like to get a ARB Bull Bar one day and I would like to leave it black, which may not look as good with the tan 2 tone.

DBS311

Adventurer
Sorry to hijack, but once you do the 4wd hi-mod, is the TOD system completely deactivated, or can you switch back to it when on the street?

jrsteffes

Adventurer
DBS311 said:
Sorry to hijack, but once you do the 4wd hi-mod, is the TOD system completely deactivated, or can you switch back to it when on the street?

With the flick of a switch you can enable or disable the magnetic lockup of the transfer case. So yes, you can switch back.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Karson, if you do not want the TOD at all, look for a 98 or 99. TOD was an option in those years, and in the 98's not a very common one. Mine is not TOD equpped and I have to say, I do not think I would miss it if it had been. But then again, I have not spent a lot of time behind the wheel of a TOD Trooper.

jrsteffes

Adventurer
datrupr said:
Karson, if you do not want the TOD at all, look for a 98 or 99. TOD was an option in those years, and in the 98's not a very common one. Mine is not TOD equpped and I have to say, I do not think I would miss it if it had been. But then again, I have not spent a lot of time behind the wheel of a TOD Trooper.

I would agree that a vehical without TOD would be nice, but its not to much trouble to do the mod. It will be alot easier to find a '01 or '02 with low miles and TOD and then do the power mod.

My only question would be is there really 100% lockup in 4-low and in 4-hi with the mod or will it slip under force?

bootzilla

Adventurer
Yup - once that center diff is locked up, it won't slip front-to-back. If you've ever checked out the last generation Montero - the power mod would give you the same options as that t-case - 2wd high, AWD, 4-hi (with power mod), and 4-lo.

One of the reasons I actually bought the Trooper was for the TOD. I liked my AWD on my previous truck so much, that I wanted to have that capability again.

The system is a little archaic compared to the current systems that use the ABS breaks for individual wheel control, but I still think it is a handy feature for severe weather. The steering is a little heavier with TOD on, but there is no binding or hesitating between axles, and the system is far quieter than the Full-time 4wd on, say, a Discovery.

Good for driving in heavy rain or snowy weather, or on loose gravel or dirt I'm sure it would be ok, but in really slippery stuff - mud, sand, etc. - the TOD gets too easily confused and is not effective, forcing you to go to 4-lo to lock the center diff...those are the times when the power mod would make things much easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk