OBI Dweller Review and Discussion

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

ROA generating FUD on the D15: They were hyping this rig on YT a couple of years ago, now it's "terrifying". I guess Palomino is the newest tail to chase.
Testing a rv in traffic and taking your hands off the wheel while you chat at the camera . Then say it's ridiculous to drive under 70 mph and go around a curve at 85 mph. Crazy man someone is drinking to much diet mountain do

ROA generating FUD on the D15: They were hyping this rig on YT a couple of years ago, now it's "terrifying". I guess Palomino is the newest tail to chase
Seems like a nice mod that potentially could be done at home with some basic metal working skills. I wonder what it does for the hitch weight though, I thought they were a little heavy up front already

RJWB

I'm a dweller 15 owner, It's all about balance you can accomplish the exact same thing that Shane did in this video by filling the front water tank i.e. adding weight to the front of the trailer I'm curious the first dweller that Shane tested did it even have propane tanks upfront? Was it a brand-new dweller right off the lot with no weight in it whatsoever? I did upgrade my shocks to Monro heavy-duty. I like to tow with water in my tanks. I don't drive at 80 miles an hour but I've definitely been very comfortable on the interstate slightly over 65 mph. It all depends on the road conditions. I do like the looks of the trailer without the spare tires hanging out the back. Can't imagine what this upgrade costs. Just my two cents.

Seems like a nice mod that potentially could be done at home with some basic metal working skills. I wonder what it does for the hitch weight though, I thought they were a little heavy up front already
I have considered this as well, I personally would have kept the bottom portion of the tire carrier to act as a slider, I have scraped mine already since the D15 already sticks pretty far back past the wheels and it's pretty easy to scrape that departure angle.

leosgarza

I replaced the stock shocks with the Monroe 66440 and removed the rear tires. I placed a generator in the front cargo box and I placed a spare tire in the front. I tested the Dwellar without water and got it to 65 with no sway. I started to notice sway at 70. I need to get a longer hitch receiver. The tire rubs slightly at the extreme turn radius of the truck. I found a receiver that can add 5 inches to the hitch length. I will take a picture of it when it comes in.

Plan is to get a cargo carrier and place the very light items in the back.
ff98d1813ec63a6d37e2e60feb7f758d.jpg
0391b1e977c26424ecd54b555b5e85f7.jpg
3b1bfc9ca76627300df5057ddac21b72.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RJWB

With the hot summer months quickly approaching us I know many folks are trying to find ways to improve the air conditioning on the dweller. Specifically I'm looking at the dweller 15 and feel there needs to be an improved system to recirculate the cold air. The current air intake found on the end of the AC unit itself is underneath the bed. The recirculating air intake should be set up so that the air comes 100% from the passenger compartment of the dweller not from under the bed. This way the air-conditioning unit continues to recycle cold air making it colder each time it goes through the system. Just like the air conditioner in your house. The grill on the control panel wall is too far away from the air-conditioning unit intake and very inefficient. The AC unit is drawing air from under the bed not from the Passenger compartment. Here are a few pictures of the air intake. For the dweller 15 opening the lower cabinet door on the driver side would actually improve the air intake. I'd like to hear other people's thoughts and any ideas of a better way to improve the return air into the air-conditioning unit. I'm not sure how the dweller 13 is configured. Thanks

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 20230613_092655.jpg
    20230613_092655.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
  • Inked20230613_092649.jpg
    Inked20230613_092649.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 54
  • 20230613_092550.jpg
    20230613_092550.jpg
    901.1 KB · Views: 53

I was referring to Chasing's comment that the rear end hangs far off the axel quite a bit. Just was asking if possibly the axel is to far north on the box and causes some sway. I have no idea if this is the case or not.
For example on the two attached pictures if one measured the center line of the axel of the D 13 to the center of the tounge would it be the same distance as the D 15. Probably not but if they are the same measurement that extra foot + ( with extra weight) of the D 15 is hanging south of the axel line which could cause different degrees of sway regardless of mods. I am sure you all have considered this so I apologize if that's the caseScreenshot_20230613_131954_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230613_131730_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230613_131730_Chrome.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 18

For example on the two attached pictures if one measured the center line of the axel of the D 13 to the center of the tounge would it be the same distance as the D 15. Probably not but if they are the same measurement that extra foot + ( with extra weight) of the D 15 is hanging south of the axel line which could cause different degrees of sway regardless of mods. I am sure you all have considered this so I apologize if that's the caseView attachment 782947
Wonder if they use the same chassis for both lengths?

The D15 frame is physically longer than the D13 frame.
That's what I figured but I was getting excited to have found something that was causing the huge difference in sway for a trailer that is only 1.5 feet longer.

Could it be possible the D15 axel centerline is to far forward then the D13?

Also website says the Dwellers have 24" of ground clearance? That is awesome for off roading buy hight then most off road trailers

50pentz

I just spoke with someone that is trying the 15 with only one spare to see if that will help with the sway. Has anyone tried this?
When we first purchased our D15 last summer, I removed one of the spare tires. It helped a little.

The most significant sway improvement was upgrading the D15's 4 shocks as WillySwan previously posted. Also, my tow vehicle had significant sag and I also added airbags and new shocks, which leveled the vehicle and transfered steering authority back to the front wheels. I've made multiple trips with these upgrades, one spare tire, and both fresh water tanks full. I've had no sway issues passing semi trucks going 65mph on 2 lane highways. I'll still encounter a little bit of sway if crosswinds increase or the road undulates causing a harmonic sway, but both have been minor and easily corrected with minor tap of the brakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven