Off-GRID ENGINEERING Dual Battery Systems (An Introduction)

Off-Grid Engineering

Supporting Sponsor
Side-by-side battery trays now available for 2nd Gen Tacomas! These trays fit ALL second Gen Tacomas and place two batteries in the factory battery location.

179.00 for tray system alone
399.00 for wiring kit alone
569.00 for full system

IMG_2008_zpsv1h6wr7q.jpg
IMG_2005_zps1iq4m19s.jpg
IMG_1951_zpst9ntplwm.jpg

Last edited:

Darkrider

Adventurer
What group sizes of batteries do these fit? 35s mostly? Just double checking since i was talking to some reps at a local battery shop yesterday getting prices for batteries. As much as i would like to run an Odyssey i dont drive the truck enough to justify one just yet. So if these will work with pretty much any group 35 battery that would be awesome.

Off-Grid Engineering

Supporting Sponsor
What group sizes of batteries do these fit? 35s mostly? Just double checking since i was talking to some reps at a local battery shop yesterday getting prices for batteries. As much as i would like to run an Odyssey i dont drive the truck enough to justify one just yet. So if these will work with pretty much any group 35 battery that would be awesome.

Most Group 35 AGM batteries run almost identical dimensions. For my "split battery kit", you can get away with running just about any Group 35 or even Group 34 battery. The "side-by-side" systems have only been tested with Odyssey PC1400 Group 35's. It is a VERY tight fit. The Northstar and X2 batteries from Batteries Plus are right at the same size as the Odyssey and should fit fine as long as you get Group 35's.

Doc_

Sammich!
I like it, that's a nice simple kit that covers all the necessary basics at a reasonable price and should drop into an older truck pretty smoothly. I like the quality I can see of your wiring work, those are clean joints and the extra effort of the hydraulic lugs and kevlar wrap are impressive selling points. Thank you for sharing this.

Darkrider

Adventurer
Most Group 35 AGM batteries run almost identical dimensions. For my "split battery kit", you can get away with running just about any Group 35 or even Group 34 battery. The "side-by-side" systems have only been tested with Odyssey PC1400 Group 35's. It is a VERY tight fit. The Northstar and X2 batteries from Batteries Plus are right at the same size as the Odyssey and should fit fine as long as you get Group 35's.

Thanks for the info! So the Split kit would be the one with the single tray? Just making sure i understand your terms correctly.

Off-Grid Engineering

Supporting Sponsor
I like it, that's a nice simple kit that covers all the necessary basics at a reasonable price and should drop into an older truck pretty smoothly. I like the quality I can see of your wiring work, those are clean joints and the extra effort of the hydraulic lugs and kevlar wrap are impressive selling points. Thank you for sharing this.

Thank you so much for the compliments! I have a ton of time, effort, and research in to these products. I really have my heart and soul in them.

Off-Grid Engineering

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks for the info! So the Split kit would be the one with the single tray? Just making sure i understand your terms correctly.

That is correct. I use the term "split kit" because the batteries are split or separate (distance wise) from each other. Just a term we've been throwing around the shop.

Darkrider

Adventurer
That is correct. I use the term "split kit" because the batteries are split or separate (distance wise) from each other. Just a term we've been throwing around the shop.

Cool good to know! I will probably work with the shop to see what Lead acid batteries will fit in the trays. I may end up using a standard battery at first while i get the truck sorted out after the battery relocation. There may be a chance i can fit a Group 35 into the stock floor location as well for a possible dual set up.

Off-Grid Engineering

Supporting Sponsor
Cool good to know! I will probably work with the shop to see what Lead acid batteries will fit in the trays. I may end up using a standard battery at first while i get the truck sorted out after the battery relocation. There may be a chance i can fit a Group 35 into the stock floor location as well for a possible dual set up.

9" x 7" is what the trays were designed for... but theres no reason that a slightly larger battery won't fit in either the passenger or drivers side tray. The only tray I make that is very size specific is the dual battery tray for the stock location.

chmura

Adventurer
Is the 4th generation 4Runner kit available yet? Curious to see it!

I just bought a arb fridge and I am in the market for a dual kit. Still debating whether to go single group 31 or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL