Offroad Teardrop+ concept

JJBiggs

Supporting Sponsor | SEES
Chad - really enjoyed talking to you at the Solaros meeting you attended. Your trailer design looks great and it looks like you're getting some great suggestions too. I like the idea of reversing the hinge side of the door - hinging it at the back edge would allow it to fly open if it came unlatched for any reason - its better to have the hinges at the front edge plus as someone pointed out it allows you to enter the trailer without coming out from under the awning.

I'll pitch in my two cents on the tire issue with something I haven't seen anyone mention. I'm a fan of tall and skinny tires as most of my friends know but on a trailer the make more sense for a variety of reasons. First is weight - keeping the ratio of unsprung weight to sprung weight as low as possible is a good thing as any car designer can tell you - among other things it lightens the loads on the suspension components. Since many of your potential customers will be towing with a smaller rig (Jeep or lightweight SUV/Crossover vehicle) you want to try to keep the overall weight of the trailer as low as possible. I'd think 1100 pounds (or less) would be a good target weight.

The other thought I have on tires is the skinny part - you need to remember that trailer tires track inside the cars rear tires so a wide tire on the trailer is more likely to snag an obstruction (root, rock, curb, broken Jeep, etc.) than a skinny one. Personally I think the ideal tire for your trailer may be something like a 235/85R16 or maybe a tall, skinny 15" tire.

Hey Jack...thanks. I enjoyed it as well.

Thanks for the input regarding the trailer. I couldn't agree more about the tires. I prefer a skinnier tire as well. Makes a heck of a lot more sense.

Stay tuned. Much more to come as things start moving forward.

JJBiggs

**Teaser Image** 07/30/10

Howdy folks...I am presently putting the website together and was goofing around with photoshop and my rendering software. Here is a teaser shot of a setup 4 person trailer.

More to come.

SetupShot-web.jpg

Last edited:

stomperxj

Explorer
Chad-
I dont know if you have answered this or not but what modeling software are you using and what rendering software?

Very nice crisp renderings for sure ;)

Thanks
Jess

JJBiggs

Chad-
I dont know if you have answered this or not but what modeling software are you using and what rendering software?

Very nice crisp renderings for sure ;)

Thanks
Jess

Hey Jess,

Thanks for the compliments. The software is a professional industrial design / CAD program called FormZ by AutoDesSys. I have been using it for years. It is primarily used for architectural renderings as well as industrial design.

Reference: http://www.formz.com

Chad

smittycrusher

Adventurer

This is EXACTLY what I have been looking for! With my wife and 3yr. old son in mind, this is perfect. I like how we could put him down in the upper sleeping area and then later, when we decide to go to bed, can slide into the lower area without waking him. This design is perfect! I look forward to seeing the final product. This would sure make my annual road trips out west a lot more enjoyable!

Keep up the great work!

Smitty

cmgraves

Observer
Chad,

That is just an outstanding and outside the box idea for a camper. I absoultely love it!! You cuaght me a year to late, that would fit my needs perfectly. Great job designing!!:Wow1:

Some food for thought. Would it be possible to place the leg supports so they connect to the side of the trailer. this would make setup easier on unlevel surfaces, and not have a free standing leg that could easly be kicked.

Another idea i had, (totally outside the box thinking) was to get rid of the legs entirely, and make the supports of the bed by a wire cable. The cable would be connected to the metal frame that lifts straight up in the middle support for the tent. Moments and forces might make this not doable, but the freedom and ease of not having leg supports might make it something to consider.

I am also planning on designing and building my own changing room to fit my needs. With that, I noticed that you are looking for a company that will special make the fabricate for you. If you find a comany, if you could PM me with who you went and how it went I would greatly appreciate that.

Also, how and with who are you planning on doing the metal tent supports?

Again, what an incredible design and setup!!:drool:

JJBiggs

Chad,

That is just an outstanding and outside the box idea for a camper. I absoultely love it!! You cuaght me a year to late, that would fit my needs perfectly. Great job designing!!:Wow1:

Some food for thought. Would it be possible to place the leg supports so they connect to the side of the trailer. this would make setup easier on unlevel surfaces, and not have a free standing leg that could easly be kicked.

Another idea i had, (totally outside the box thinking) was to get rid of the legs entirely, and make the supports of the bed by a wire cable. The cable would be connected to the metal frame that lifts straight up in the middle support for the tent. Moments and forces might make this not doable, but the freedom and ease of not having leg supports might make it something to consider.

I am also planning on designing and building my own changing room to fit my needs. With that, I noticed that you are looking for a company that will special make the fabricate for you. If you find a comany, if you could PM me with who you went and how it went I would greatly appreciate that.

Also, how and with who are you planning on doing the metal tent supports?

Again, what an incredible design and setup!!:drool:

Thank you very much. I appreciate it. We are still finding vendors for the various parts and systems. I am still hopeful this will go to production. If not, I will be building one in my garage.

I will send you some info as we get closer. Just finishing up the details at this point.

C.

cmgraves

Observer
Chad,

Over the weekend, I did some more brain storming and came up with an idea that would be more pratically. To have the cable be similair to a cable bridge, and have the cable extent to the other end of the camper. Thus elimanitng torque that would be applied to the center memeber as my last comment.

Then when you fold it up the tent, all the cables, and the stabilizing bar would fold down with the rest of the structural part of the tent.

I have a quick and dirty autoCAD drawing to show what I am talking about if you are interested, just PM me.

Just an idea if you build it yourself, or if you design #2.

best of luck!

JJBiggs

Chad,

Over the weekend, I did some more brain storming and came up with an idea that would be more pratically. To have the cable be similair to a cable bridge, and have the cable extent to the other end of the camper. Thus eliminating torque that would be applied to the center memeber as my last comment.

Then when you fold it up the tent, all the cables, and the stabilizing bar would fold down with the rest of the structural part of the tent.

I have a quick and dirty autoCAD drawing to show what I am talking about if you are interested, just PM me.

Just an idea if you build it yourself, or if you design #2.

best of luck!

Hey bud,

Not a bad suggestion. I understand where you are coming from with a self supported system. Early in the design process, I looked into that. the forward flip top would be ideal for that solution. With the side opening top, you must keep in mind that even when the rear trailer jacks are deployed, the load up there (estimated max weight of 600 lbs+) on a top that is 64" off the side of the trailer and requires ground supported legs for complete trailer stability.

Adjustable ground support legs are needed for total trailer stability when 4 adults are moving around inside. The center of gravity will simply be too high. Combined with the weight and travel of the load on that flip top - ground support is needed.

C.

JJBiggs

**UPDATE 08/19/10**

Howdy folks...been awhile. Much has been happening behind the scenes.

- I have sourced a tent fabricator out of California.
- The design is now in full CAD and being finished in the next couple days.
- I have sourced two options for the production of the composite cabins. A traditional FRP manufacturer and a fully automated CNC based manufacturer.
- The brand name of the trailers is being copyrighted & trademarked. (The legal process is a PITA). This should be done very soon.
- The frames should get under way in about a week or so. We are still sourcing some various parts and materials.

Personal note - this process has been ridiculously tedious. I have a total of over 400 hours working on the design, researching, and development since this all began. Based on our initial findings, our price point is definitely attainable. It's matter of finding the right partner vendors that will make this trailer sing.

The positive feedback I have received from various vendors and people in general has been inspiring. This truly leads me to believe, we have something here. (God willing).

Exciting stuff. Stay tuned.

C.

96discoXD

Adventurer
Wow! I just stumbled across this thread. I have been thinking about building my own trailer, but I will wait and watch this with keen interest. Incredible design, keep up the good work and best wishes for a successful outcome!

java

Expedition Leader
cant wait to see a production piece!

i like the idea of a DIY kit personally, i would enjoy it and save some cash!

JJBiggs

Howdy folks...

Quick little teaser image for those that have been keeping with this.
(NOTE - this is 99% complete save a couple of stabilizing legs and the fenders are now back to the "Jeep style.")

More to come. Stay tuned.

XpoTRAIL4-FINAL-C_web.jpg

cmgraves

Observer
I love it!! :wings:

Can't wait to see the final product, and the inside. Keep up the good work! Very impressive with how much energy and time you have put into this project. It shows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3