Offroad Teardrop+ concept

compactcamping

Explorer
The bottom one is still on the road. I agree, I wouldn't take it on a trip to Baja.

Although Carl Jackson, driving for Bill Stroppe towed a small travel trailer in the '71 Baja 500 as an advertising stunt. It did make it to the end of the race, he actually finished 105th of 226 entries.

Jackson3.jpg

JJBiggs

Supporting Sponsor | SEES
The bottom one is still on the road. I agree, I wouldn't take it on a trip to Baja.

Although Carl Jackson, driving for Bill Stroppe towed a small travel trailer in the '71 Baja 500 as an advertising stunt. It did make it to the end of the race, he actually finished 105th of 226 entries.

Jackson3.jpg

Awesome...

gasman

Adventurer
hey chad, i have been following you thread here off and on and it looks like you have a good thing going, very nice ,love the concept and i hope it works out for you ,i just might build one like it one day just for fun,, i just re read the whole thread again,, i have a ''backyard special'' and im quite proud of it, a lot of us guys may not have the funds or resources for a professional build and do what ever we can to get the job done, i have not been on here for a long time but i have been trully inspired by the backyard specials and more importantly the guys that have built them, hell i have seen some guys go out and buy a welder, teach themselves to weld and build away. i once told a guy on another forum his trailer was gonna look like a gondola and when i re read it the next day i felt very bad about it realizing that guy was just like me a backyard /home built garage builder, and that builder was prolly very proud of his accomplishments, who am i to judge, i aint gonna do that again,,and when i am stopped on the street and some stranger ask's me where i got the trailer, with pride i tell them i built it myself,

I am VERY happy to report that our trailer will be professionally built from top to bottom and will not resemble a pieced together backyard special. I have been working very hard to find top quality materials and systems that will go into this trailer. While the design was inspired by the "tear drop" trailers - it will be far from the "tear drops" in the end.

C.

JJBiggs

hey chad, i have been following you thread here off and on and it looks like you have a good thing going, very nice ,love the concept and i hope it works out for you ,i just might build one like it one day just for fun,, i just re read the whole thread again,, i have a ''backyard special'' and im quite proud of it, a lot of us guys may not have the funds or resources for a professional build and do what ever we can to get the job done, i have not been on here for a long time but i have been trully inspired by the backyard specials and more importantly the guys that have built them, hell i have seen some guys go out and buy a welder, teach themselves to weld and build away. i once told a guy on another forum his trailer was gonna look like a gondola and when i re read it the next day i felt very bad about it realizing that guy was just like me a backyard /home built garage builder, and that builder was prolly very proud of his accomplishments, who am i to judge, i aint gonna do that again,,and when i am stopped on the street and some stranger ask's me where i got the trailer, with pride i tell them i built it myself,

Holy run-on sentence Batman! Not sure why this popped up now. A discussion ensued following that post. Nothing personal was meant by it. Apologies if you were offended.

I am a handy type myself. That said, I have also seen many out there not-so-handy think they are.

We are looking to offer a production based unit to the masses. It has taken a good bit of time to get it under way. We hope to be able to show you guys the progress very soon.

Stay tuned.

C.

Mamontof

Explorer
T

Although Carl Jackson, driving for Bill Stroppe towed a small travel trailer in the '71 Baja 500 as an advertising stunt. It did make it to the end of the race, he actually finished 105th of 226 entries. [/img]

Baja Race with a trailer.... WOW:Wow1::elkgrin:

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Holy run-on sentence Batman! Not sure why this popped up now. A discussion ensued following that post. Nothing personal was meant by it. Apologies if you were offended.

I am a handy type myself. That said, I have also seen many out there not-so-handy think they are.

We are looking to offer a production based unit to the masses. It has taken a good bit of time to get it under way. We hope to be able to show you guys the progress very soon.

Stay tuned.

C.
Not sure why anybody should have been offended by your comment; I'm a back yard builder and I sure was not offended. As you have plans on building them commercially, I think it was nothing but appropriate to point out that you are taking a professional approach to it. Looking forward to the progression of the project.

lowenbrau

Explorer
Aw Hell.

I'm offended by the bait and switch. This thread began as a "Give me some good input and critique on my concept and when it is done I'll toss some drawings your way" and became a "I'm selling this uber-cool EarthRomer style trailer that you DIYers can't afford but give me some free advice anyway" thread.

I'm still subscribed but I had great hopes for a ExPo open source arrangement where we could all share design expertise and fabrication/material sources. Maybe it is fodder for another thread.

Don't get me wrong, JJBiggs. I wish you all the best with this venture. The world needs more trailers like this but if I can't add some 'sweat equity' I'm gonna have to wait a few years to look for one used.

Uncle Roger

Observer
I'm offended by the bait and switch. This thread began as a "Give me some good input and critique on my concept and when it is done I'll toss some drawings your way" and became a "I'm selling this uber-cool EarthRomer style trailer that you DIYers can't afford but give me some free advice anyway" thread.

I dunno... I never got that impression. I read it as "Hey, this is what I'm thinking of doing for my own personal trailer, what do you think?" which was then followed up by "Hey, if you like it, go ahead and copy it; I don't mind. It shouldn't be hard." (for that last bit, however, I call hogwash!) Later, enough people said "that's awesome, I'd buy one!" that Chad decided to look into making them for sale.

As for the "free advice", I have to say I'm proud to have contributed the idea of switching the direction of the door and when I get mine, you can bet your bottom dollar I'll tell everyone that that was my idea. But I don't expect any more than that (though if Chad wants to give me one for free, who am I to dishonor him by not accepting?)

Personally, I can't build a trailer so if Chad can build these and do so affordably, I am very thankful.

DrMoab

Explorer
I too have no issue with the direction this thread has taken.

I never thought I would be interested in buying a pre-built trailer (unless a Compact came my way for a super good deal) but I will probably buy one of these, if they ever come to market.

JJBiggs

Thanks Doods!!! :victory:

The start of this was indeed simple. I wanted to build my own sweet trailer for my family. But after a gent saw my design he asked if I would like to create something from the design and sell them - Heck, why not?!

AS a result of my decision to try and make this happen, I have literally spent well over 500+ hours working on CAD refining the design to the Nth degree. Am I asking for sympathy - no. I chose to do this. I am a simple guy who likes simple things. That said, I have a bad habit of making things complicated. :coffeedrink:

No ill intentions are behind this. Just a design-guy who may have an opportunity to make one of his designs into something great. And, in my book - "Anything worth doing, is worth doing it at 150%."

Thanks for all the kinds works. I greatly appreciate it.

QUICK UPDATE: 10/05/10

The design has been finalized and is currently in final detailing (construction drawings). This has taken awhile as I have to maintain my existing clients for my day job. Thankfully, things have gotten busy, but the trailer has been a casualty as a result.

The trailer frames are likely to start up in the next week or so. I will likely take the weekend to finish up the frame drawings.

The tent portion of the trailer has been finalized and I have selected the vendor and the fabric we would like to go with. I hope to have photos of this soon.

More to come. Thanks all...

C.

Uncle Roger

Observer
I am a simple guy who likes simple things. That said, I have a bad habit of making things complicated.

Just to clarify, because I think you might be a tad confused... Traditional tent = Simple. Your trailer = complicated.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3