OldSven's Tacoma

OldSven

Explorer
Here are some level shots. Flexed it out a bit and the shocks could stand to be longer but as for down travel they would bottom out. I guess bumpstops would take care of that.
DSC01792.jpg

DSC01793.jpg

Willman

Very nice!!!

Coming along!

When are you getting your snorkel???

:snorkel: :snorkel: :snorkel:

OldSven

Explorer
Rides like a champ, got rid of alot of axle wrap too. Snorkel is on the list, frame reinforcements come this week. I am going to install the bumpstops when I weld the plates on, then I think shocks my have moved up the list.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
When I put the GM springs under my '84 late last year I found that at/near full bump travel that the leaf in contact with the spring perch tended to have a sharp bend in it right at the edges of the perch.
My solution was to re-use the stock yota overloads, upside down, though I did have to cut the tips back a bit as they had a small amount of reverse arch to them. That yielded a nice, smoothly arched 'ramp' for the spring to lay down onto.

OldSven

Explorer
ntsqd said:
When I put the GM springs under my '84 late last year I found that at/near full bump travel that the leaf in contact with the spring perch tended to have a sharp bend in it right at the edges of the perch.
My solution was to re-use the stock yota overloads, upside down, though I did have to cut the tips back a bit as they had a small amount of reverse arch to them. That yielded a nice, smoothly arched 'ramp' for the spring to lay down onto.
Thanks, I will have to think about that. I'm going to be adding bumpstops soon. Probably going to set them up so that the spring doesn't go negative but just flat, but if they start binding I will have to try that:)

OldSven

Explorer
Frame reinforcements showed up today from CBI. I guess it's back under the truck for me :Mechanic:

wmflyfisher

Observer
erod said:
really likin' the look of that bumper...have to check badlands out...keep us posted.

Great rig Sven!! If your thinking about a Badlands bumper please consider this FIRST! I bought the exact same bumper here as OldSven for my 01 Taco. I was really pleased with the design and welds but about 4 of the 10 holes did not line up when I got it. The top plate also mashed up against my factory chrome grill pretty hard. Jeff told me he had built 700+ bumpers so I figured hey, what could go wrong. I sent him emails and called a few times but couldn't get a reply. I'm not trying to bash at all. Just want people to know my experience. Just a thought...

OldSven

Explorer
wmflyfisher said:
Great rig Sven!! If your thinking about a Badlands bumper please consider this FIRST! I bought the exact same bumper here as OldSven for my 01 Taco. I was really pleased with the design and welds but about 4 of the 10 holes did not line up when I got it. The top plate also mashed up against my factory chrome grill pretty hard. Jeff told me he had built 700+ bumpers so I figured hey, what could go wrong. I sent him emails and called a few times but couldn't get a reply. I'm not trying to bash at all. Just want people to know my experience. Just a thought...

I personally have had a great experience with Jeff, especially since he lives pretty close. He has definetly got his products down as far as strengh and style. They are custom bumpers built buy one guy instead of a factory. Now if he would just get into the skid plate game:D

OldSven

Explorer
Just got the CBI frame reinforcements welded on. Great product, fit like a glove. I didn't end up using the far rear plate because the bumper mounts wouldn't fit over them. They are 3/16" but the one I didn't use is 1/4". I will have to take it for a spin tomorrow and see if they really stiffen up the back. Oh, and my Biltein 5125 10" travel shocks are ordered, once they get here I will get some flex shots up.

DSC01807.jpg

DSC01808.jpg

DSC01809.jpg

wmflyfisher

Observer
OldSven said:
I personally have had a great experience with Jeff, especially since he lives pretty close. He has definetly got his products down as far as strengh and style. They are custom bumpers built buy one guy instead of a factory. Now if he would just get into the skid plate game:D

Yeah, I wish my experience would have been better. Hell for stout product though. He must be doing something right with all that business!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy