Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

michaelgroves

Explorer
Maybe mine closes better than most, but I stand by my statement about my personal experience.

Mine was a very neat pintle too, that latched closed firmly with virtually no gap. It probably depends on the precise design whether it's a problem or not. It would be a pity to use a shackle - the big diameter pintle is much kinder to the strap than a shackle pin is.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Mine was a very neat pintle too, that latched closed firmly with virtually no gap. It probably depends on the precise design whether it's a problem or not.
Yeah, I'd agree. That's why I qualified my original statement to apply only to the Dixon-Bate pintles.
The pintle on my deuce and a half worked well too, but with that I was using a very thick 4" strap, something you wouldn't normally use on a Land Rover.

revor

Explorer
well I still tow with it all the time, I just wouldent tow something with a real heavy tongue weight.

The trailer I pull most often these days is really light, this is it rolling out for a week of backcountry fishing.

Okay WHAT can you tow with a DisKo that can be heavy enough to have a heavy tongue weight?:Wow1:

I'd trust mine for a recovery point, except I don't have one having removed it long ago to shorten the frame and install a D/B 5 tonne tow jaw, Karen's has the factory reciever though as does the 110 in both we put the pintle in for the trailer.:drool:

michaelgroves

Explorer
well I would say this is to much :D

Looks just about perfect for a Disco! :)

As a matter of interest, I assume that in terms of towbar failure, you're not really worried about the tongue-weight per se, but rather the total mass of the trailer? Even so, I never had any concerns about my standard Discovery 1 towbars being too flimsy for towing heavy trailers. As I say, though, I never felt comfortable using them as recovery points, even with a proper pintle instead of a ball.

revor

Explorer
Looks just about perfect for a Disco! :)

As a matter of interest, I assume that in terms of towbar failure, you're not really worried about the tongue-weight per se, but rather the total mass of the trailer? Even so, I never had any concerns about my standard Discovery 1 towbars being too flimsy for towing heavy trailers. As I say, though, I never felt comfortable using them as recovery points, even with a proper pintle instead of a ball.

Thom you scare me sometimes!

It's not the hitch I worry about so much as the behaviour of the load with a short wheelbase.

As far as recovery goes I've not seen one fail and have used them but all my cars have better options so I use those.

JSQ

Adventurer
Scott,

Do yourself a favor when you upgrade your braking system and change your brake fluid to ATE Super Blue.

It seems overkill in a fourwheel drive application.

It's not.

discotdi

Adventurer
well I wish I had read this thread regarding the D90 brake upgrade before I replaced the rotors, pads, and calipers on my Disco! maybe next time.

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
Scott,

Do yourself a favor when you upgrade your braking system and change your brake fluid to ATE Super Blue.

It seems overkill in a fourwheel drive application.

It's not.

Jack, please explain the reasoning behind using ATE Super Blue. I've installed the D90 rotors and calipers, but I still need to bend and install the hard brake hose, so I'll need to bleed the system soon. If there is a good enough reason, I'll use the ATE Super Blue instead of the Castrol GTLMA.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I would think Super Blue would be overkill. If you put in a racing brake fluid, but then rarely change it, you're not much further ahead than just using a good quality fluid and changing it regularly. If you need enough performance out of your braking system that you need to be using racing fluid AND flushing it regularly, I think you should probably be upgrading your brakes more substantially than just a high dollar fluid.

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
I would think Super Blue would be overkill. If you put in a racing brake fluid, but then rarely change it, you're not much further ahead than just using a good quality fluid and changing it regularly. If you need enough performance out of your braking system that you need to be using racing fluid AND flushing it regularly, I think you should probably be upgrading your brakes more substantially than just a high dollar fluid.

1. I am substantially upgrading my brakes. Did you miss that?
2. I regularly change my brake fluid
3. The cost of ATE vs Castrol GT LMA isn't enough to even discuss

That being said, I was wondering what practical evidence that Jack has with the ATE compared to other brake fluids, not a theoretical discussion of why I shouldn't use it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3