Overland Journal Project Land Rover Discovery 4 (LR4)

axels

Adventurer
I used the same spacers about a year ago and had to grind my front calipers... Different experience I guess. No need to cut the lugs or anything like that though. They also make custom sizes for the same price. Going a little thicker might help...

I went 1.35 to try and avoid griding the calipers but had to anyways. Cut the frame hornes but now they rub on my rocksliders. I got 265/65r18 I think its the biggest tire unless you want to get completely stuck if you get a suspension fault. In my opinion you can't beat the look.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418288325606.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418288325606.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 146
Yes duratracks and the rear tire carrier is custom build.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418305874247.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418305874247.jpg
    553.5 KB · Views: 85
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418305935984.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418305935984.jpg
    548.8 KB · Views: 81

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Here are my experiences/current setup:

- 18" LR3 wheels
- 1.25"spacers
- General Grabber AT2 LT285/60R18

Very, very close clearance between caliper and ID of wheel. Very minor rubbing depending on which wheel is rotated to alternate front corners. No shaving of calipers required.

Wheel weights need to be placed carefully or they will be sheared off.

Rubbing of frame rails at full lock but realistically already at steering stops

Some plastic trimming required, especially at leading edge of front.

31.5" tire "barely" fits in stock spare tire location if tire pressure reduced. A much better solution would be swing-away tire carrier. Have already destroyed one light weight tire lift unit. My bad.

Torquing of spacers checked by tire shop at rotate/balance intervals.

Overall load range E increased the stability of the vehicle, especially when towing.

axels

Adventurer
I have to add that I had really thick powder coating due to the fact that the guys knew I was taking my LR4 off-road and they didn't want it to scratch easily. But man these brake calipers are huge anyway.

I can ask my buddy. Its not cheep and you need someone that can weld it to the steel bumper it might also need small modification since like my friend said not all 2 cars sit the same.

I covered the cost of parts which was 400. He originally planned on a 3 day build. Took him 7 since they really wanted to make it look right. I'm sure now that they know how to build it its more of getting the measurements off mine and cut/weld. But you do need someone that can weld it so the swing arm can handle the weight my 265/65r18 are about 60lbs add the tubing and high lift jack and take into account the constant beating on trails it needs to be solid. I already took it on a 3 day run to death valley on mostly dirt roads and its solid. Very happy with it.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418320706172.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418320706172.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 93
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418320714217.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418320714217.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 91
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418320721636.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418320721636.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 84

Jwestpro

Explorer
Here are my experiences/current setup:

- 18" LR3 wheels
- 1.25"spacers
- General Grabber AT2 LT285/60R18

Rubbing of frame rails at full lock but realistically already at steering stops

This is why I think the 285, which I also used first, is too wide for best clearances. I'm betting you wouldn't get any of the same frame rub on lock with 265. Ad chains as "Scubagreg67" asked and it's even more important.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
This is why I think the 285, which I also used first, is too wide for best clearances. I'm betting you wouldn't get any of the same frame rub on lock with 265. Ad chains as "Scubagreg67" asked and it's even more important.

When the minimum requirement is load range E and snow country performance, the selection gets REAL small.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Mpinco. I think most of us are aware of this. However, 285 does not particularly open up a plethora of options - yet that width does become a limitation in turning clearance.

Additionally, winter tires don't make much sense being wider unless they are wide enough to provide floatation.

Cooper makes a couple E's that will fit lr3/4 although a bit taller than some people are comfortable using:
http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/DISCOVERER-M-S.aspx
http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/Discoverer-A-TW.aspx

axels

Adventurer
I like these Cooper tires that you mentioned. Never used them myself though.
As far as size I wish they had slightly narrower tires in 18s. Maybe a 255 or smaller.
Maybe next year when we move up to New York I'll look into them.

Jwestpro

Explorer
I almost tried them last winter. They look pretty good in person. Yes, 255/70x18 would be an ideal proportion for winter and probably right at 32".

It's hard to know exactly what the subtle differences are between those two I listed. I suppose the compound is more true winter-like on the M+S and more long wearing/less wintery on the ATW while still a good tread design for winter. Kind of like Nokian does with the WRG2/3 tires. The Nokian Rotiva is also one that looks pretty incredible for all year in most conditions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven