Overland Journal Project Land Rover Discovery 4 (LR4)

mpinco

Expedition Leader
When I was shopping for tires I wasn't looking for a pure winter tire. A good AT tire is fine, if correctly designed. My reference point was my RRC on Grabber AT2's, which performed great on snow and ice in the Colorado high country and across Colorado and Kansas. My other reference point was a P-rated 113 tire on the LR4, towing a 5000# trailer. Too much rear end sway as the sidewalls flexed with the heavy LR4 and tongue weight. In addition I currently don't have a bumper mount tire carrier. Sure you can toss the spare in the load space but that defeats the purpose of the LR4 cargo capacity. My experience with the GG at 31.5" OD indicates that this is maximum for the spare tire location and really a tire with less diameter would be better. The Cooper tires are 32-34" OD, most likely requiring the spare to be cargo or an immediate investment in a bumper tire carrier. In addition, just looking at them, the tread compound looks highly siped and soft. A sure recipe for short life on a LR4 at over 6000#'s, moving to 7000 with load. Your then into investing in winter and summer tires.

Granted the 285/60-18 is ~3/4" wider than a 265/65-18 but overall it performs well for my needs.

Do wish Cooper would offer the AT3 in a LT265/65-18. I'd be running those if so.

Edit add: Should have mentioned that budget decisions have to be made when you have too many hobbies. :) My recent purchase:

TS-480

that needs to be added to the LR4

Last edited:

spikemd

Explorer
I have a 275/65 r18 (32.3) GY MTR tucked in the spare tire underneath the LR3. It needs to be partially deflated and nudged a bit, but it fits. Carry a tire pump and you are good to go, if you feel the need.

I have since swapped to a 265/65 r18 (31.6) tire due to rubbing issues. We had an LR4 blow an airhose on the trail and when he dropped to bump stops with larger tires, he was stuck. Don't go too big.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
I have a 275/65 r18 (32.3) GY MTR tucked in the spare tire underneath the LR3. It needs to be partially deflated and nudged a bit, but it fits. Carry a tire pump and you are good to go, if you feel the need.

I have since swapped to a 265/65 r18 (31.6) tire due to rubbing issues. We had an LR4 blow an airhose on the trail and when he dropped to bump stops with larger tires, he was stuck. Don't go too big.

Yup, thinking ~31.5" OD is near the max for bump stops. Could be smaller. Which says anything larger requires another spend - the IIDTool

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Yup, thinking ~31.5" OD is near the max for bump stops. Could be smaller. Which says anything larger requires another spend - the IIDTool

The IIDT tool is not considered another spend, it is a mandatory, essential tool all LR3/4 owners should have.

umbertob

Adventurer
I still can't figure out how you are able to squeeze a 32.3" dia. tire in the spare wheel well under the car. I am sure you can jam it up there if you really set your mind to it, but have you made sure it drops back down when you actually need it? :) I am able to lift my partially deflated 31.5" spare under the LR4, but it's no fun, and if I so much as sneeze while winching it up and the wheel gets the tiniest bit crooked in the process, the winch jams and I have to drop it and start from scratch. :mad: There is zero elbow room down there.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
The IIDT tool is not considered another spend, it is a mandatory, essential tool all LR3/4 owners should have.

Agreed, still it's another spend.

So Land Rover should acquire GAP Diagnostic and integrate the functionality?

Im not afraid of a little manual labor but kicking a deflated tire into the rear bottom? I think I can be a little smarter and get a smaller tire, put it on the roof rack or rear swing away.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
I still can't figure out how you are able to squeeze a 32.3" dia. tire in the spare wheel well under the car. I am sure you can jam it up there if you really set your mind to it, but have you made sure it drops back down when you actually need it? :) I am able to lift my partially deflated 31.5" spare under the LR4, but it's no fun, and if I so much as sneeze while winching it up and the wheel gets the tiniest bit crooked in the process, the winch jams and I have to drop it and start from scratch. :mad: There is zero elbow room down there.

I'm thinking crow bar and floor jack are standard cargo..........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven