Overland Journal Project Land Rover Discovery 4 (LR4)

plusnq

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to share a few recent pictures of my Discovery 4. I recently installed the last available Kaymar rear bumper from Outback Proven and currently working on a custom tire swing away. As you can see, both Kaymar stock spindles were cut out and a new spindle was welded in place. The custom tire swing away is currently in progress and I hope to install in early January 2015. I also have the last long-range fuel tank from Outback Proven and will install later.

Happy Holidays!!!

Hi Finlay,

Great work! Love it.
Did you do a lift with those wheels and tyres at all? Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Shane

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Observer
Hi Finlay,

Great work! Love it.
Did you do a lift with those wheels and tyres at all? Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Shane

Hello Shane,

No lift or trimming needed with my set-up, though I did a slight 25mm lift with the IIDTool. I have a set of green oval adjustable rods if needed, but I run at standard height most of the time. I have Compomotive wheels with BFG AT KOs in 265/65R18 size. No lift or trimming is needed with these tires; however, you would need to deflate the spare. Since these photos I added a custom spare tire swing away. The BFGs are the only E rated tire in that size and they suit my needs well. The new KO2s are coming soon in that size as well.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards, David

plusnq

Thanks David. Just checking, if the Disco lowered itself to the bump stops could you drive out on this wheel/tyre combination? Many thanks for your help. This whole thread has been invaluable.

Mr. Pickles

Observer
Great build! Which storage containers are you using on the roof rack? Are they secured with ratchet straps?
Cheers!

edit - Read that you were using EO2 fasteners. How did they hold up?

Last edited:

zelatore

Explorer
Thanks David. Just checking, if the Disco lowered itself to the bump stops could you drive out on this wheel/tyre combination? Many thanks for your help. This whole thread has been invaluable.

David is a busy guy and not on here daily (some of us lack a life so we're here a lot...)

But I can tell you I have seen that exact set-up drive out of the back country on the bump stops without any problems. It wasn't David's truck, though it was set up the same. Another club member, the guy who did the thread on the long range tank install linked earlier, runs the same 265/65-18 BFGs on LR3 wheels (David has the Compos). Last year he had an air line fail while camping and we couldn't easily jury-rig around it so he drove it out. He reported no rubbing issues and was able to run highway speeds and easy trails - just not comfortably as the ride is awful on the bump stops.

I run a slightly bigger tire on my LR3, 275-65-18 Duratracs, and had to do some trimming to make it fit. I do get some rubbing when on the bump stops, though it is drivable if you have to. Luckily I haven't had to test it on the bumps on a trail.

I'm helping a friend do a set of LR3 wheels/spacer and 275/65-18 Cooper AT/3s on her LR4 this weekend. I expect to do some trimming, and I'll test it on the bumps to see how much rubbing there might be. Since each tire is a little different and we're dealing with mm here it will be close. I'm hoping she will have less rubbing on the bumps than I do since she's running spacers and a less aggressive tire even though it's theoretically the same size.

plusnq

David is a busy guy and not on here daily (some of us lack a life so we're here a lot...)

But I can tell you I have seen that exact set-up drive out of the back country on the bump stops without any problems. It wasn't David's truck, though it was set up the same. Another club member, the guy who did the thread on the long range tank install linked earlier, runs the same 265/65-18 BFGs on LR3 wheels (David has the Compos). Last year he had an air line fail while camping and we couldn't easily jury-rig around it so he drove it out. He reported no rubbing issues and was able to run highway speeds and easy trails - just not comfortably as the ride is awful on the bump stops.

I run a slightly bigger tire on my LR3, 275-65-18 Duratracs, and had to do some trimming to make it fit. I do get some rubbing when on the bump stops, though it is drivable if you have to. Luckily I haven't had to test it on the bumps on a trail.

I'm helping a friend do a set of LR3 wheels/spacer and 275/65-18 Cooper AT/3s on her LR4 this weekend. I expect to do some trimming, and I'll test it on the bumps to see how much rubbing there might be. Since each tire is a little different and we're dealing with mm here it will be close. I'm hoping she will have less rubbing on the bumps than I do since she's running spacers and a less aggressive tire even though it's theoretically the same size.

Thank you for chiming in Don. It has really helped me.

Cheers

Shane

El Solis

Adventurer
Looking awesome! I also have a 2013 LR4 and I am curious as to where you mounted the body of the 2M radio? I'm trying for a stealth look, only the faceplate exposed. I have literally looked at the entire thread today and didn't see any good shots of the 2M install. Thanks.

Chris

Ilatak

Another local trip the with LR4, this time to the Sedona area. Some friends came in from Australia and they loved the "Disneyland" that is Broken Arrow.

1901124_10152672730968275_1656752769_n.jpg

picture-21.jpg

picture-29.jpg

picture-36.jpg

The LR4 continues to perform admirably, making for a perfect North American travel vehicle.

Silly question, but what antenna mount is used on this LR4?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Any shop in Canada / USA that you guys would recommend to get an ARB bumper and Duel battery system installed in LR4?

Can you narrow that down some? That's a pretty big geographical area. What is that, about 1/5th of the entire world's land mass?

Jwestpro

Explorer

I'd like to hear the results. Specifically in the rear at full drop because spacers will actually make the rubbing worse in rear fenders liners due to the shape of the liner and moving the tire into a zone of less clearance.
As for 18" and lr4, is this some attempt to use factory 18" wheels by spacers or does the vehicle have the aftermarket 18" wheels?

MLu

Adventurer
Can you narrow that down some? That's a pretty big geographical area. What is that, about 1/5th of the entire world's land mass?

1/10th more like. [sorry. yes, I just had to be a smartass, but at least I didn't go full-on eurodouche on you or used words like 'america-centric' or 'world view']

Slightly more on-topic although not necessarily hugely relevant; I really like the Discovery 4 with the ARB front bumper and the rear tire carrier. For the uninitiated, none of whom is too likely to frequent this particular forum, it really masks the age of the vehicle. I like that it gives it more of a timeless, classic appearance. Masked with a bit of mud and dust you could park it next to a 2015 Defender and call it the antiquities road show as far as most people are concerned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven