Overland Journal Project Land Rover Discovery 4 (LR4)

racehorse

Adventurer
X2 with the understanding that ARB is a significant advertiser/sponsor of ExpoPortal. And X2 on the wonderful write ups that Scott and OE provides, especially on this LR4 project.

Question for Scott,

Do you think it would be possible to have a review with your thoughts on the lockers? I think it would be nice to hear what your thoughts are on the truck with/without them. If you have an appoximate installed cost that you can base a "would or would not buy" based on a percieved performance, it would be a nice data point. Are they something you would add again? Is there an approximate comparison to another set up you have driven?

Thanks for the excellent write ups and all the work you guys have been doing!

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Question for Scott,

Do you think it would be possible to have a review with your thoughts on the lockers? I think it would be nice to hear what your thoughts are on the truck with/without them. If you have an appoximate installed cost that you can base a "would or would not buy" based on a percieved performance, it would be a nice data point. Are they something you would add again? Is there an approximate comparison to another set up you have driven?

Unfortunately, the experience is only half complete, as only the front locker has been installed. The rear was incompatible with 2010 and later LR4s, due to a bearing size change. I know that ARB is working on it, and I hope to have an update soon.

In reality, it depends on how you intend to use the LR4 and your budget. There are other limitations to this vehicle in highly technical terrain, beyond just traction, primarily the overall size and weight. However, I prefer locking differentials for even moderate terrain, as it reduces trail impact and wear on tires, along with shock loads to the drivetrain. Even with just the front locker, the LR4 settles down on climbs and in cross-axle obstacles. I suspect these lockers will be $3,500-4,000 for both ends, installed. For those lucky enough to have the HD package, then the front would be a nice addition as well, just in case.

For general exploration, a winch would be a better initial investment IMO

brickpaul65

Adventurer
Thanks Scott. That is a great way to look at them. I like the idea of the lockers to minimize trail damage and to experience a fully locked vehicle to improve my driving skills. I don't really ever plan on exceeding terrain that the LR3 can handle (intentionally)...the driver currently limits the capabilities in my specific vehicle.

I was really just interested in an estimate to see if they were worth keeping on the wish list, as well as an idea if they really add to the vehicle or if I would dislike my $4,000 bling. It all comes to down to expendable income and value to each owner.

Also, are the kits for LR3's as well? Or simply LR4's? I read your post to say both are compatible up through 2009 and then the front only from 2010 on (at the moment).

Thanks Scott

Scott,

I bought a 2012 LR4 last week. It has just about every aftermarket off-road accessory I know of. But it does not have the Johnson rods, only the Gap tool. It has 265/70R18's on Compomotive wheels. Living in Utah I off-road a lot so I want it as capable off road as possible for trails in Moab etc. The Gap tool I have only goes to 48mm lift. According to the Johnson Rods website their rods give a 60mm lift. Then does the GAP tool give another 48mm on top of that? 108 total mm? Wondering if I should purchase the Johnson rods also? I read every page on this forum and it seems like your running Johnson Rods with and additional 10mm in the rear on normal mode. It wasn't clear to me if this was because thats the max height you can go or if thats the optimal height for the type of driving you do?

Thanks so much for your write up here. Because of this I bought the LR4.

Jud

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Scott,

I bought a 2012 LR4 last week. It has just about every aftermarket off-road accessory I know of. But it does not have the Johnson rods, only the Gap tool. It has 265/70R18's on Compomotive wheels. Living in Utah I off-road a lot so I want it as capable off road as possible for trails in Moab etc. The Gap tool I have only goes to 48mm lift. According to the Johnson Rods website their rods give a 60mm lift. Then does the GAP tool give another 48mm on top of that? 108 total mm? Wondering if I should purchase the Johnson rods also? I read every page on this forum and it seems like your running Johnson Rods with and additional 10mm in the rear on normal mode. It wasn't clear to me if this was because thats the max height you can go or if thats the optimal height for the type of driving you do?

Thanks so much for your write up here. Because of this I bought the LR4.

Jud

Jud: Did you buy that white truck with all the LED lights and black out kit?
D

No, I looked at that white one in Texas but it was set up for a soccer mom who wanted some bling. Just my opinion but I think the factory roof racks are terrible looking. And they murdered that one with lots of cheezy things and then marked it all up a ton on price. Attached is a photo of the one I bought in California last week.

Jud

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 186

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
No, I looked at that white one in Texas but it was set up for a soccer mom who wanted some bling. Just my opinion but I think the factory roof racks are terrible looking. And they murdered that one with lots of cheezy things and then marked it all up a ton on price. Attached is a photo of the one I bought in California last week.

Jud

Is this the truck you looked at?
I thought it was a nice looking truck, but way overkill on the lights!
I think there is about $3K worth of LED on this thing.
I have the OEM LR rack on my truck but am removing the upper portion leaving a rack that looks like the front runner (just a little tighter and profiled).

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Dendy-

Where is that white one listed?

Kyle

It was with Land Rover Frisco. I am not sure if it is still for sale or not. Unfortunately, there was a place (showing as) in South Dakota that was using these same pics and trying to scam folks that the truck was $30K. (obviously it wasn't).
D

spikemd

Explorer
Here is a pic of my LR3 with the factory rack without the top section that Dendy is talking about. The previous owner took it off and it reduces the windnoise and is still functional. Pics taken in Death Valley last week.

2014_dv5.jpg

2014_dv7.jpg

2014_dv16.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Brady

Founder
We just took the LR4 to Moab for Easter Jeep Week, and took the day to drive a few local trails, including Hell's Revenge. Great time, and the Land Rover performed as expected. We will try to post a few more images, but here is a short video. We had a Rubicon 4-door along, and it struggled on this climb. The air suspension provided just the boost the LR4 needed to clear the breakover

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater

Members online