Overland Journal Project Land Rover Discovery 4 (LR4)

This winter I wanted to use the Hakkapeliitta LT2 studded tire. It does come in a size I can fit with my fender liner mods 275/65-18, but I wanted to also allow use of my RUD 4x4 snow chains which would not be usable more than on flat roads mostly lifted and being careful turning, plus using spacers for clearance behind the tire at the upper A arm.

So, I got the 17" which is 245/75x17 for roughly 31.6" height but 1" narrower. For a winter tire this is the very best combination of width and obviously incredible traction made even more awesome by the E load range. The factory 17" wheel also sits the tire away from the A arm but I used spacers for now by grinding the excess off my brake calipers. The reasoning was trying to keep the higher braking power but also avoid the hassle of changing out all 4 brakes until I need to replace rotors due to wear.

Nobody would want to buy used lr3 brakes anyway so I figured if the grinding went wrong, then I wasn't out any $ or much time. These things not being sport brake calipers have so much excess casting and never seemed to be lacking in power or having too much heat build up, it seemed like an ok plan.

Both front and rear needed grinding and the fit is darn perfection with the spacer pulling the tire safely away from the A arm for chain clearance too. Again, being 1" narrower tire section on a 1" narrower wheel (ideal pairing of 7" wheel and 245 width), the spacer doesn't push it out too far either so there aren't any issues at full turns/bumper, etc.

The visual look is very different going from a 275 to 245 but the stellar grip on snow and slicing through slush is thusly amazing. People often forget that for winter "traction" a narrower tire works better for a couple reasons, the main two being higher ground pressure due to smaller contact patch and narrower tracks through dense crud more easily.

https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-lt2/

JWest,

Great write up and most likely a fix to my current problem of finding a great MT in my preferred skinny size with 18" wheel and taller side wall. Do you have pictures of your grinding process you can PM or post up? How much did you go and what's the look with the 17" wheel? Sounds like a perfect fix I would be willing to do. My buddy has access to a machine shop so if I knew the amount I might have to go, this sounds like I could have them mill it down to fit 17" wheels on my 3/4" spacers for the skinny MTs I would like.

Thanks in advance!

E

Jwestpro

Explorer
JWest,

Great write up and most likely a fix to my current problem of finding a great MT in my preferred skinny size with 18" wheel and taller side wall. Do you have pictures of your grinding process you can PM or post up? How much did you go and what's the look with the 17" wheel? Sounds like a perfect fix I would be willing to do. My buddy has access to a machine shop so if I knew the amount I might have to go, this sounds like I could have them mill it down to fit 17" wheels on my 3/4" spacers for the skinny MTs I would like.

Thanks in advance!

E
3/4" spacer will not be enough. 1" (25mm) minimum but 30mm like the Terrafirma will work obviously with slightly more room left inside.

Which tire is your top skinny choice?

BFG KM2 is available in 255/80x17 for 33"

Cooper STT pro 255/75x17 for 31.9" seems perfect for 100% articulation into the fenders, etc.

I ground mine my hand with a hand held DeWalt disc grinder making some guide lines first for consistent shaping. Then test fit, and fine tuned. Cleaned and painted for rust prevention.

Last edited:

A.J.M

Explorer
Weights from the Discovery 3 brochure ( my boss gave me it and I kept it ) are.

EEC total kerb weights. Tdv6 auto is 2,718. V8 is 2,704

Distribution of kerb weight at front axel max, tdv6 is 1,302kg. V8 is 1,280kg.
Distribution of kerb weight at rear axel max, tdv6 is 1,416kg. V8 is 1,424kg.

Performance.
0-60mph.
Tdv6 is 11 seconds dead with limited top speed of 112mph.
V8 is 8.5 seconds dead with limited top speed of 120mph.

Brake disc size.
Tdv6.

Fronts are 317mm vented. Rears are 325mm vented.

V8.
Fronts are 337mm vented. Rears are 350mm vented.

Hope this helps victory.

Weights from the Discovery 3 brochure ( my boss gave me it and I kept it ) are.

EEC total kerb weights. Tdv6 auto is 2,718. V8 is 2,704

Distribution of kerb weight at front axel max, tdv6 is 1,302kg. V8 is 1,280kg.
Distribution of kerb weight at rear axel max, tdv6 is 1,416kg. V8 is 1,424kg.

Performance.
0-60mph.
Tdv6 is 11 seconds dead with limited top speed of 112mph.
V8 is 8.5 seconds dead with limited top speed of 120mph.

Brake disc size.
Tdv6.

Fronts are 317mm vented. Rears are 325mm vented.

V8.
Fronts are 337mm vented. Rears are 350mm vented.

Hope this helps victory.

Ummmmm, yeah, I think that about sums it up on the specs..........! Damn, great post and info for us.

Safe bet is, comparable all around except stopping power from highway speeds and super heavy loads at speed would be the difference. I am guessing LR figured in those issues when they went with smaller brakes on the TDV6 as not being an issue.

A.J.M

Explorer
Exactly.

A good set of pads and discs all round wouldn't make much difference between them. It's only 1 inch bigger disc. The pads are the same and the calipers are the same.
Is an inch that important to you? ( there is an innuendo in there somewhere haha )

Exactly.

A good set of pads and discs all round wouldn't make much difference between them. It's only 1 inch bigger disc. The pads are the same and the calipers are the same.
Is an inch that important to you? ( there is an innuendo in there somewhere haha )

Okay then, now I just need to find the part numbers for the caliper adapters and the discs and I may start this 17" steel wheel project.

I'll ask my lady if the inch is really going to be of concern and get back to you! :wings:

hillseeker

Based on this idea of spacers to support an 18" wheel, has anyone tried spacers as pattern adapters, thrown on aftermarket rims for some more "exotic" tread patterns like Nitto Mud Grapplers that aren't available in typical "land rover sizes"? I'm in the process of moving out of a 110 and a RRC to allow space/funds for an LR4 build (in theory, combining the two older trucks' purposes for me)... mapping out parts and build projections led me to doing blueprints of wheel dimensions based on Jeep wheels w/ Nitto's and developing total dimensions with offset and backspacing of the adapters... Still so hard to know anything for certain without bolting it all up...

Jwestpro

Explorer
Based on this idea of spacers to support an 18" wheel, has anyone tried spacers as pattern adapters, thrown on aftermarket rims for some more "exotic" tread patterns like Nitto Mud Grapplers that aren't available in typical "land rover sizes"? .

So what are you trying to say? A pattern adapter will allow other wheels but the problem still is the same. You still can't put a 17" wheel on unless it's maybe a steel with careful design for the clearance needed. If the offset is too far out, then it will create problems in articulation that render the use of such a tire irrelevant/silly.

hillseeker

So what are you trying to say? A pattern adapter will allow other wheels but the problem still is the same. You still can't put a 17" wheel on unless it's maybe a steel with careful design for the clearance needed. If the offset is too far out, then it will create problems in articulation that render the use of such a tire irrelevant/silly.

I'm looking at a 37mm spacer/adapter (motorsports-tech) to a 5x150 pattern to allow an 18x9 wheel w/ 5.75" BSM (Boosts) Similar to the attached photo, but with 33's, not 35's.
RANGE_M1.jpg

Jwestpro

Explorer
I'm looking at a 37mm spacer/adapter (motorsports-tech) to a 5x150 pattern to allow an 18x9 wheel w/ 5.75" BSM (Boosts) Similar to the attached photo, but with 33's, not 35's.

LOL. I don't understand why you'd want those but I'm sure that 33" sticking out that far will be essentially useless on an lr3/4 under much articulation. It may look pretty cool though. Besides, didn't you say the reason was to get a proper mud tire? 18x9 doesn't mean there are a lot of options any more than 18x8. As you must know, 17" is where the tire size options open up.

You might be better off with one of the 9" wide wheels that have correct bolt pattern. Check out these sources for options: https://www.discovery-parts.de/felgen-und-raeder/

I found another one too but don't have a link just yet.

Last edited:

spikemd

Explorer
Here is a pic of a coil sprung LR3 on 33s. He is going to 35s soon. The CV joints are a bit taxed but he hasn't broken one. My P38 is on 33s in the background. (Pic is from the top of Signal Peak near Tahoe)

2016-08-02 14.01.41.jpg

lwg

I really don't understand the need for tires this big on an LR3/4 RR sport, etc. if you want big tires buy a jeep. There's not enough parts out there to support larger tires than a 32" or 33" on any modern rover past the D2 (really even the D2). In the end a properly equipped LR3/4 with 32's will go anywhere you want it to, but it won't be a rock crawler, nor should it be.

Sent from my Toaster

lwg

People used to say the same things about Defenders, D1s, RRCs..... (and a lot still do)

Yes they did, but that was a completely different vehicle. I once had 37's on a RRC. In the end I spent so much money on that truck that had I bought a Jeep I'd had a lot of money left over and wouldn't have cut up such a beautiful vehicle. The problem with much bigger on any modern Rover is that the wheel wells just aren't big enough. There's obvious drivetrain issues as well. These trucks are extremely capable in stock form. I'd say with 32" tires they are more capable than 90% of their drivers on the trails. Time and time again I see built trucks with terrible drivers on the trails, this goes for any make vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven